Windows 8 goes to manufacturers in August, will ship in October

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iammike, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iammike

iammike Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

And so the disaster begins..... :)

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I'm wondering if Windows 8 will be as big a disaster as was Vista.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Time will tell. Could turn out to be rather good....wait this is Microsoft, a couple of weeks ago there were violent thunder storm in the state of Washington and I found myself wishing there was damage in Redmond at Microsoft's headquarters.

5. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Why do some people hate MS so much? I find XP and Windows 7 pretty dependable and entirely satisfactory for my use. I don't understand the bad-mouthing of MS products constantly by some. I am not taking issue with their right to criticize, but I really don't understand the problems with MS, based on my personal experience. Am I missing something?:doubt:

6. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

The only hating I see going on is towards win 8 not MS per se.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I do wonder how well Win8 will do, it has tough competition in the tablet market with the iPad and Google raising the bar with the Nexus 7, is there any room for Win RT tablets in the consumer market ?

For people who legacy support is a priority there is the Win 8/Pro/Enterprise with the traditional desktop, the Metro UI is not important therefore Microsoft could be it own competition with Win 7, why upgrade ?

From a developers perspective things are not so rosy, I have seen lots of people complaining about the WinRT runtime API being typically Microsoft V1, suffering from trying to satisfy too many groups of developers at once.

IMHO the developer experience is going to take a version 2 or atleast a few service packs to approach the level of maturity we currently have developing on the Windows platform.

I have not seen any indication of how good the developer uptake is Win8 Metro apps - It was a big issue with Windows Phone 7, has Microsoft got a set of compelling apps ready for launch ?

If Win 8 succeeds, it will take time and money IMHO, like with the Xbox. Take the Windows Phone 7, good design, features that differentiate from the iPhone and Android, reviews well but unable to gain any significant market share.
    Microsoft does have the resources to play the long game.

Cheers, Nick

8. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

MS wants to turn us all to avid touch-screen users whether we like it or not. History is not on Win8's side... ...and that's all I have to say about that:

~Image removed.~
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19950

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

MS wanted to turn us all into avid mouse users and people laughed at them... look what history says about that.

10. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Touch screen OS may be the future but have you asked yourself why MS doesn't give us the choice? They bank too much on the millions of new young users for whom Metro will be their first point of computer usage reference.

If they were to give us the simple choice of preserving the Start button for example, then millions of young users worldwide would have probably reverted back to the old system simply because their parents, older siblings etc. are used to it and would teach the kids to use the computer the way they know and are comfortable with. MS doesn't want that, so once again they are making the decisions for us, citing their stupid survey as the reason.

For every person that has voted no for the Start button in their survey there will most definitely be many more users worldwide who are more comfortable with the old way, and naturally those opinions would be ommited and ignored. It's all a matter of long-term planning for them. Essentially they are forcing Metro upon us, treating us like children who don't know better.

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Personally I'm very excited. I can't wait to see how:

1) The market reacts

2) Attackers react

to the new UI and security aspects of Windows 8 respectively.

While I much much much prefer Unity (for the shortcuts) to Metro I'll still leave Windows 8 up for games and development.

12. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Rats! This mean my free copy of Windows 8 Preview Edition will be going kaput. :)

Edit: In fact the "Store" has already gone kaput. "This vesion of Windows is no longer supported by Windows Store. Get the newest version of Windows. (Buy a Windows 7 PC and get Windows 8 Pro for $ 14.99). I already have Windows 7 and it seems I don't qualify since it's older than June 2, 2012. :(

I've enjoyed playing with it. Outside of the Metro interface, I like it. It a much improved version of Windows, could even be one of the best. It will be interesting so see how it pans out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see anyone hating MS in this thread or anywhere else recently. I personally like MS, and I love Windows 7. That's what I'll be using probably for the rest of this decade. However, I don't like Windows 8 at all, nor do I like the direction it's taking with Metro, and overall, I think Windows 8 is a disaster about to happen... But as they say, time will tell, and I think it's going to be very interesting and entertaining to see how things unfold.

14. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried a few Linux distros.

Linux is better for some things, Windows is better at others.
    video drivers are more performing on Windows, which is a must if you do any gaming.

took me awhile to warm up to Windows 8 and for the low upgrade price i might just get it.

gaming is slower for me on Windows 8.
    i will wait for newer drivers to come out and test it further.
    but i certainly will not get Windows 8 if i have to buy another video card.

this machine is almost 5 years old and doing quite nicely with Windows 7.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

My favorite local little store has touch screen cash register that was broken last week and they where using a mouse for a few days until it was fixed. Today it broke again and they had to break out the old mouse again.That twenty dollar mouse seems very reliable in comparison to the very expensive to repair touch screen.I will take mouse over a greasy finger print touch screen any day.

16. elapsed

You say that as if the mouse isn't susceptible to sweat, dirt, oil, bacteria, etc. It's actually worse as the average person will have/rest their hand on the mouse for protracted periods of time.

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Maybe so, but it's a lot faster and cheaper to fix when it does happen.

18. elapsed

When what does happen, it breaks? I didn't debate that, did I?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't, it's had over 20 years to mature, unlike touchscreens.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  19. Dark Shadow

I agree with you but looking at my kids Ipod screen and looking how nasties it looks minutes after cleaning it and trying to read something on smears and prints is very distracting and gross.

At least with mouse I dont see that in my visual and if it breaks, I can take a quick run to the store and grab a new one and I am up and running In minutes.Thats not going to happen with touch screen.Thats all I am saying.

However, touch screen still is nice and probably less likely never to get carpal tunnel using touch over mouse. I guess there is always pros and cons with everything.

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

of course, touch screen would never work on a desktop.

i don't see myself keeping my arms up in the air all day, touching a screen 3 feet away from me.

i might as well go into bodybuilding if i have to do that. ;)

21. Dark Shadow

LMAO.:thumb:Yea you might have to prop your arms on a stack of pillows.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ROFLMAO. I'd also rather do bodybuilding than do that. :argh:

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And that's taking into account "if" you have a touchscreen monitor . . . which almost no one has. :thumbd:

24. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I will keep a close eye at Wikipedia about Repetitive strain injury.

25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

And no doubt will have a ridiculous price tag on it for some of us unlucky enough to live in Major Shopping Capitals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.