Windows 8 Certified Computers May Not Be Able To Boot Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It will be defeated less than a year after wide spread implementation. Mark my words.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Let's try a better source of information: http://arstechnica.com/business/new...ecure-boot-will-complicate-linux-installs.ars

By the looks of it, it's up to the motherboard manufacturer to add in the option to turn off secure boot. So it's quite simple, if you want to buy a UEFI motherboard, research if it has that option or not.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just to be clear the quote is not the opinion of the author of the article linked to above but that of a Microsoft employee. That's why it's a "better source".

5. elapsed

Okay. :)

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Keep up the good work :)

7. elapsed

You too. :thumb:

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I wish I am rewarded monetarily ;)

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

:D :D :D Ka Ching............

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

even its UEFI some surely created open GPL crack for i am pretty sure :D

microsoft always unhappy with linux where linux has no problem with it.

instead of pushing windows they should learn lesson form mac OS X and create Boot Camp because many people like dual boot now days :D

or maybe thats the part of future plan for getting few more $$ for that software :D

11. elapsed

To buy a better OS with? ;)

Well at least now I know why threads in the unix forum get so little discussion.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've always dreamed of affording anything from Apple.

13. elapsed

Indeed those MacBook Air's are awesome.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Can someone clarify whether one will have to buy a new PC in order to run Win 8 when it's officially released?

Will PCs with enough RAM and a decent CPU be a no-no if they are BIOS-based and not UEFI?

16. elapsed

If people only buy UEFI motherboards with a secure boot disable option, that's what they will sell.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Best Buy employee: "Well, this particular system comes with the brand new Windows 8 with exceptional security, a 1terabyte hard drive *interrupted*

Mr and Mrs Smith: "What's a terabyte? Is that a brand name?"

Best Buy employee: *dollar signs for eyes* "No ma'am, it's a very big hard drive. You can store lots of photos, movies, music, anything you want and lots of it. Now, this system is also equipped with 8 gigabytes of RAM..that's a lot of RAM, this baby will zoom! It also has a *insert Nvidia/ATI model number here* with 1 gigabyte of RAM and high definition graphics to make your movies look gorgeous!

Mr and Mrs Smith: *salivating, fingers on zipper of purse and hand on wallet* "That sounds wonderful! Oh honey, the kids will love it! Say, what about these exceptional security features in Windows 8?"

Best Buy employee: *Thinking of commission with a big grin and now on first name basis with Mr and Mrs Smith* "Well, there is secure boot, which helps to keep malware off of your system. Of course, this does mean you may have some slight trouble loading another OS in the future, but otherwise it makes sure hackers can't get to you...of course, you can always look at this system over here. It has a UEFI motherboard, which will....*interrupted*

Mr and Mrs Smith: "UEFI? Is that another name for UFO? *chuckles all around, attention quickly returning to previous system* Oh, honey, I just love this computer, imagine all the things we can do with it!...We'll take it!"

Best Buy employee: *smiles brightly, subtly rubbing hands together* "Good, good! I'll ring it up!"

Now, that's about as realistic as it gets, so, you were saying something about getting everyone to buy UEFI systems? :D

18. elapsed

We're talking about Linux dual booters, not Mr and Mrs Joe. 99% buy or build their own or have a friend, etc.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, Funky, that 99% is almost entirely made up of Mr and Mrs Joe. Intelligent and experienced people like yourself and others here are generally not the type to walk into a store and grab up everything that has a big "New" label on it or the type to get lured in by a pro salesman. When MS designs Windows, or Apple designs everything it makes, you're a thought of course, but the Mr and Mrs Joes of the world are the very first thing they think of. I think you know that though.

So, my argument is quite valid if those factors are considered. This certified issue may very well end up being a big deal..or it may not. It's much to early too call it, and we both know good and well that between now and the release date, Windows 8 will be torn asunder by both good and bad guys.

20. elapsed

I think you've misunderstood me because that's my point exactly. This "issue" doesn't matter whatsoever to Mr and Mrs Joe because they don't even know what dual booting is. It only matters to the nerds, the people that will buy/build/etc their own and choose a MB with a disable option. Mr. and Mrs. Joe buy a ready made PC, what does it matter if it doesn't have a disable option? Like I said 99% of dual booters don't buy ready made PC's from their nearest store, they will check the spec of each individual item, including the MB.

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm with Funky.

Wonderful feature for the average user.

Useless to builders but they will often be buying their own hardware.

And as with ChromeOS, which has secureboot, you can turn it off with a dev switch. Whether that will be included or not remains to be seen, as does most of the information surrounding this subject.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're right, I misunderstood you. Sorry about that :) I am still a bit concerned though, after all, not every Linux user is a system builder or picks their systems for Linux use. There's no telling how many current users simply burned the ISO and moved over to Linux from a current Windows environment. We've seen it plenty here at the forums. It's a weird thing to me, Linux distros are increasingly simplifying and "prettying" up things for new converts, which many veteran users don't like. Now, with Windows 8, the same users they are targeting might not be able to just pop in the DVD and install without jumping through hardware hoops.

It actually could hurt adoption at least temporarily.

23. elapsed

Well I think the direction to take here is make the secure boot disable option a standard for UEFI MBs rather than trying to remove it altogether.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree. Users should have a choice. For those average users, security won't be compromised because most of them will never touch the boot options. For those that need to, it will be there.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A user GP007 has commented this here.

http://www.winrumors.com/redhat-employee-claims-windows-8-may-lock-out-linux-from-oem-machines/

also:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.