Windows 8 Advanced Startup Menu

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm having some issues here.
    My PC doesnt detects the keyboard when i'm in the advaced startup menu in Windows 8. (Trying to boot in Safe Mode)

Could it be that my motherboard doesnt detects the USB keyboard?

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Sometimes when some hardware is plugged into one of the USB ports Windows takes some time (one to two minutes but this is not typical) to actually acknowledge it and install it. Perhaps this is the case? One can also check in the Device Manager to see if it is listed there as well.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Keyboard works fine in Windows the problem is when i am in the Advanced Startup Menu (Where you choose between the different Safe Mode "Modes") that the keyboard does not registers my key inputs and num, cap lock lights dont light up either.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. jima

jima Registered Member

The same thing happened to me. I ended up using a spare ps2 keyboard.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, i believe the problem is my Motherboard but i already dumped my PS2 keyboard . . . LOL

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You might try a different USB port. Also, most (if not all these days) motherboards have USB ports designated for the mouse and keyboard. Make sure your keyboard and mouse are connected there as those ports are set to be recognized by the BIOS. The other ports may not become fully active until later in the boot process.

7. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I wasn't aware of that. How do you tell which ports those are? I haven't seen this in a manual, although my board is now more than 2 years old.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I think this happens mostly on desktops that have many USB ports. On boot, the firmware doesn´t enable all of them. I haven´t noticed this is laptops, even in those with several USB 3.0 ports. On boot, the firmware enables all USB ports, the keybord and the touchpad.

One alternative in this case is to try to boot with the "recovery drive" (boot USB key) created with Windows 8. You can try connecting the mouse or keyboard to each of the ports to see which ones work.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

All of the USB ports looks the same. o_O
    Damn, i knew i should have purchased a PS2 keyboard. I've always used PS2 keyboards until a couple months ago when my old keyboard died. :doubt:

10. Bill_Bright

Look on the I/O shield. That's the metal backplate in the case where all the motherboard ports appear out the back of the case, Typically the mouse and keyboard ports are at or near the top and other ports are lower down. Though no color standard, The PS/2 used for the keyboard and mouse are purple and green and the nearby USB ports are typically used for the USB mouse and keyboard. I say typically, but since USB is "Universal" by definition, other ports may be used. At any rate, changing USB ports will force the system to reconfigure and might get things working.

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Would enabling legacy USB support in the BIOS / UEFI help him?

12. Bill_Bright

That should not matter. If you check your motherboard manuals you will see that

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3L Rev. 2.0
    Im gonna try switching ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.