Windows 8.1 is available now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Is it possible to download ISO somewhere or to integrate it into the original iso? It is more like a new Windows than just an upgrade since it has almost 4GB.

2. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Damn the MS servers are so crawling slow foe install of 8.1. I am right now trying to update and the bar is at 13% and it ha taken 30 minutes to reach. I am thinking it will take several long hours for it to install. This is awful server speed for MS. I am on a 25MB/S cable speed. It should take a file that size (3GB) around 40 minutes or less with my speed and not several hours.

Anyone else has this slowness update issue.
    :'(

3. guest

guest Guest

Comment originally posted by Brandon LeBlanc. Source: hxxp://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available.aspx

My response: BS. :thumbd:

4. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, I saw the article.
    but my case is=
    "If you upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8"

Edit:
    OK, it's clear=

If you have upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 you might have noticed that there is a directory under the System Drive called Windows.old.
    http://www.danielclasson.com/guide-how-to-delete-windows-old-in-windows-8-1/
    ---------------
    This article is a complete walkthrough on the steps taken when upgrading a Windows 8.1 installation from Windows 8.
    •When you are sure you no longer need these files, simply delete the C:\windows.old folder
    http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade-to-windows-8-1.htm

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and DiscCleanup did a great jog, deleting remaining 4GB of leftovers in less than 5 minutes.
    Totally agree, it is a nonsense. The installation took me over an hour, a clean install of Windows 8 takes about 25 minutes, so I am definitely not looking to future reinstall. :cautious:

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

once you get past about 60% it goes very fast.

the first 60% or so is for the download, the remaining is for the install.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Now that Windows 8.1 is officially out, does anyone know if I can use my retail 8.0 keys if I install using the Windows 8.1 ISO that was leaked earlier?

8. moontan

nope.

because the Beta did not use your own serial number/key but a generic one used by millions of people.
    you can't upgrade from a Beta version.
    it would be nice if you could do it, but meh!:p

maybe Microsoft will eventually figure this thing out. lol

9. taleblou

Windows 8.1 is buggy or worth-less. After 2 and 1/2 of download and install, it was asked to restart and after restart it asked for keyboard choosing and then the option to to go to windows and MESSAGE OF 8.1 UPDATE FAILURE CAME OUT. So I went and re-downloaded again and this time took 1/2 hour more and then asked for restart and went through the same thing and the same 8.1 failure message came up again.

SO it seems there is issues or bugs or incompatibilities and people should be careful.

The windows is back to 8.0 and I guess this is the stable version.

My current windows is a 8.0 wmc 64bit and I have uninstalled 3rd party firewall and AV so the update goes smooth.

WHAT A WASTE OF 3 HOURS OF MY TIME FOR NOTHING.

10. moontan

t'as juste pas été chanceux.

quite a few of us here have apparently upgraded to 8.1 without any issues.

11. moontan

i find Metro just as bad as it were on Win 8 and avoid it any way i can.

Win 8.1: great OS but Metro is crap on a desktop machine, imo.
    about as bad as a 4 hours visit to the dentist. lol

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Remember to use disk cleanup after you upgrade.

Right click start button
    Control Panel
    Type "cleanup" in search
    Click "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files"
    Click "OK"
    Click "Clean up system files"
    Tick everything and click ok

13. guest

guest Guest

Does anybody know if the downloaded upgrade can be extracted and saved for later use? With my internet connection speed it would take over 8 hours and I don't want to re-download it again when I decided to do a clean re-install of the OS.

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Apparently, it´s not possible. You can create backup images after the upgrade.

15. moontan

Like Robin said, i don't think it' s possible.

the beta allowed to save an ISO, but this option is not there with the final version.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay if anyone installed the leaked version you DO NOT need to reinstall. the only difference between the two versions (and the reason the hash's now are different) is because they added 3 updates into the iso. they call this a "rollup" otherwise they are exactly the same thing verified with someone from microsoft.

here is the "rollup" update info page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883200

and yes you can use the previous version that was leaked same as this one with your win 8 lic keys. just not as straight forward as entering the keys during install i am reff to the real iso leaked not the beta version. also new iso's will be out soon as well no need to use the one you downloaded via updates. should be out later tonight for the pro version. the new enterprise iso's are already available. and those hash's match the new iso' from ms as the previous ones did before the rollup added.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. WSFuser

I am not talking about the beta or preview ISO released by Microsoft. I mean the final build ISO that was leaked by WZT.
    What do you mean by "just not as straight forward as entering the keys during install" o_O

18. zfactor

im talking about doing a clean install from the iso. you can not use your win 8 key directly there are workarounds but not sure if i can post those here. also the iso's released today are known as "ga" not rtm. they added a update to block leaked 8.1 keys and a couple others. if you have the leaked rtm (which were 100% legit verified trust me on this) it may turn out to be much easier to activate and your system will download those extra updates anyway. once i get the new pro (only the provl an enterprise has been released at this point) i will test it for sure and let you know.

19. WSFuser

I already went ahead and installed 8.1 using the generic key then activated with my 8.0 key afterwards :D

20. zfactor

the generic keys will no longer work in the new iso's they added a update to block those. also they will not be releasing windows 8.1 as a standalone download. you either have to find the iso or use the microsoft store to get it.

21. WSFuser

Thanks for the information zfactor :thumb:

22. zfactor

no problem lmk if you have any other questions.

23. taleblou

I found the issue of making 8.1 failing update on my pc. I had to unintsall ezfix and shadow defender and the update went smooth. But now I am without EZfix since the license I had was a one day giveaway.

So anyone know of any free snapshotting programs that work on win 8 similar to EZfix or CTM.

ALso sandboxie needed reinstalling as a result of update.

24. zfactor

did you have the 0x80070057 error? or was it something else?

25. taleblou

yeah something similar. Mine was not 0x800 but 0x000o_O?? (do not remember the rest) I do not know if it was eaz fix or shadow defender or both. The 8.1 update needs a clean free of 3rd parth app I think to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.