windows 8.1 can't live with so many ads can i block them,help me

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Call the seller and ask them what they did when they had access to your system (as in everything). Also what are the 2 software packages you had the seller install?

2. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Click the app, then WindowsKey+C.

Go into Settings, then permissions.. Uncheck any permissions for the app, then it cannot serve you ads.

Note: All pre-installed apps I can find do not serve advertisements, nor have permissions for advertisements. These must be third party apps. But you can check permissions to be sure, and there will be a checkbox for ads, or something else if it is serving you them.

Weather by default, only has an option for 'location' information. Which I have disabled, and the location manually locked into it.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@DoctorPC - You already admitted you are running Ad Muncher which is possibly blocking the ads. However Microsoft's Metro apps do have ads. They are noninvasive, but they do exist. Here is a screenshot of the weather and news app:

metro_ad_01.jpg metro_ad_02.jpg

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i will ask him
    he installed codecs for thumbnails , like psd and raw image files ,eset smart security and update w8.1

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does somebody try the new peerblock?

it should stops ads..

is there a free alternative to Ad Muncher to get rid of these ads?

thanks

6. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

I'm not certain what Windows world you are living in or if you having actually taken a full look at the standard apps that come by default with, for example, the Windows 8.1 update (downloaded from Microsoft official website,) but if you actually scroll through all the Windows of the updated weather app, you are treated to an endless variety of advertisements which never stop. These are frequently for businesses in your local city. I have watched several people (including myself) go through this rather shocking experience.) Now these are not applications that someone has chosen to download from the Windows Store. These are apps provided by default in the Windows 8.1 update. The update does not offer the user, as far as I have seen (and I am in the habit for looking for choices like this when I install any software) the choice to "opt-out". Considering that Windows users may chalk out $200 for the original installation software, downloading a new improved 8.1 version which turns their original software into junkware is a bit too much for me.
    But I don't know, maybe a lot of other users out there don't mind paying $200 to be hosed with advertisements while they check the weather.
    It is unfortunate that I am one of the users that have not hated the new Windows 8 format. As Microsoft likes to tell it's users that they are always 'listening' to it's users to determine how to improve Windows 8, I would like to see a list of names of users which have written in to request this special function.
    And "Windows 8 installed properly"? The update is automatic once you start it. The only choice you have is after it is installed, you do what most users do that don't like some of the included junk which comes on their new PC. You carefully go through your applications, and probably wisely uninstall most of those and replace them with your own well-tested favorites which you know are free of spyware and advertisements.
    Anyway, not to offend, but excuse me if I do disagree so strongly with your reply.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I installed Windows 8.1. update through automatic update and didn't get any new standard apps installed. :doubt:

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i don't get why some desktop computer users use a Metro app to check the weather. o_O

the only weather website i find reliable are the one from the government.
    other weather websites use weather stations that might not be the closest to you.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Same here..No new apps installed with the update.. Also when I install Win 8.1X I simply disable all of the tracking, advertisements, and location nonsense. There are plenty of options to do all of this during the installation, and they are clearly marked.

That aside, I've never seen an advertisement on a Windows 8.1 system, so I do not know where people are seeing them? Adguard also provides app/OS level filtration of ads through their WFP driver if you enable it, that would solve any such issues - assuming you use Adguard, which is the best ad-muncher out there. I do not run Admuncher, as it's useless, half functional vaporware that doesn't filter anything under Windows 8.1/IE.. But Adguard does, and I admit to using that.

Still - I do recall an option on installation of Win8.1x to disable a lot of that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.