Windows 7 X64 memory usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dueceswild, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I have just recently downloaded a trial of Nod32, latest version, after having been curious for several years. I really like it, although it seems to consistenly run around 54MB (ekrn). I can live with this, as I have been impressed with the simplicity and customer support; and I currently have 2GB RAM on a Windows XP 32 bit system.

Which brings me to my question: I am in the market for a new laptop, and will probably get Windows 7 64 bit. I REALLY would like to keep Nod32, but I have read that it has issues with the WFP (okay, I'll admit I have no idea what that is. Really, I don't care as long as it works, works with ESET, and doesn't bother me). Most recently I read a thread in the Beta forum that Microsoft (should) be issuing a hotfix this month. Have there been any updates to this? And exactly how widespread is this "problem"?

I also read that a workaround was to disable the http scanner. I am assuming that is like Avira's Webguard. I don't really want to do that, as that is important to me. Maybe I don't need it, but I like it anyway. I would like to know what issues, if any, I face if I buy this product now and upgrade to the new system in a few months.

Thanks for any responses, and to ESET thanks for a great product and great support. (I did as much research on the company and customer support as I did the product):thumb:

Jim

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Tomorrow is the second Tuesday of the month, a/k/a "Patch Tuesday," the day that Microsoft releases various security (and non-security) hotfixes for their products. Hopefully, the hotfix will be released as part of these updates. We will know more tomorrow.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. dueceswild

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping too. I haven't experienced any problems as yet, and am still discovering features.

I also know forums are, for the most part, where people post problems. So, I don't know how widespread this "issue" of memory leak is. Maybe you can't, but you probably have a feel for it, so if you could tell me if it's rare or rampant I would appreciate it. And, it looks like the current beta may be addressing it.

On a side note, am I allowed to download the beta running on a trial version?

I guess I am trying to get a handle on what I may face when I get the new box with the 64 bit OS.

Thanks again,

Jim

4. agoretsky

Hello,

The severity of the issue is difficult to say. Potentially, it affects all users of Microsoft Windows 7, which is why Microsoft is releasing a fix for it, but the number of users who might actually experience a problem as a result could be much smaller. Of course, given the speed at which Windows 7 has been adopted, an issue which affects only a fraction of its users is still a large issue in terms of absolute numbers.

The public beta is open to all, not just licensed users.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

have you had assurances this will be released on windows update? it doesnt fill me with confidence that nod32 are simply hoping microsoft make a hotfix public.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The hotfix has been released and is available for download from here.

7. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

I'm not too sure what is happening, but Microsoft released an x86 patch only, and somehow listed it for Windows Server 2008 R2 which is an x64 OS only.

Did I miss something?

8. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Never mind... missed the "list all operating systems" link there. My bad!

9. dueceswild

Thanks for the reply Marcos. Although it doesn't affect me at the moment, but will be keeping track of it. Maybe this and the beta will start to address/fix whatever the problem is.

Jim

10. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Interesting....they didn't release an update for Windows Server 2008 (non R2). I was under the impression that Windows Server 2008 also was using the WFP. Many of the discussions in the forums of Windows Server 2008 lockups being caused by NOD32 v4.0.xxx were coming from this memory leak in WFP. Guess I will be leaving NOD32 v3.0.695 on all my Win2k8 boxes.

11. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I have downloaded the update, will this give me a improvement on web scanning in 4.0? or do I need to use 4.2 to see the improvement?

12. agoretsky

Hello,

Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 2008 (non-R2) also make use of Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) technologies, however, they are a different version of Windows and it is unclear if an identical issue exists in them. I did find Microsoft Knowledgebase article #676529, Stop error message after you install a WFP callout driver in Windows Vista SP2 or in Windows Server 2008 SP2: "STOP: 0x0000000A", however, it provides a patch for an issue causing a stop error (a/k/a BSOD) and not a memory leak. Conversely, this could the same issue across the two different versions of the operating systems' kernels that just happens to manifest differently with each version.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.