Windows 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a "Clean Install" with a Windows 7 Upgrade Version? Also, what versions of Windows are you allowed to upgrade from?

Thank you.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wouldn't mind some clarification on this also. It looked to me like most situations would not allow a clean install, however, some would. For example, upgrading from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium would not do a clean install, just upgrade existing installation. But upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Pro or Ultimate would allow for a clean install. But maybe I got it wrong. Hopefully someone has better knowledge on this and can clarify. I personally am all for a clean install.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if its the same as other versions of windows you can do a clean install of an uprade version but will have to give some kind of proof you own a certain version of windows before hand such as inserting the other windows disc or inserting your curent product key.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Perhaps this Windows 7 Editions link, courtesy of BlueZannetti, will give you the info that you're seeking.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm finding this very confusing also. I've read through 13 pages on other forums that keep going around in circles.

What I do know: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102?WT.mc_id=msccomhpfeature_win7
    Other questions I have are:

1. Will this upgrade end up being a full retail version? In other words, can I install it later on a new computer?
    2. Do you forfeit the old XP or Vista license/key after the upgrade?
    3. The dvd's come with both 32 and 64bit versions. Can I upgrade my XP home 32bit to Windows 7 64bit?
    4. After installing Windows 7 32bit, can I later switch to 64bit or vice versa?

6. innerpeace

Bump. Time is running out. Anyone know for sure about my previous questions? I've been debating if I want 7. Is the upgrade deal really a good one?

I really like XP as I have it setup just the way I want it. How long will XP continue getting security updates? Edit: Found the answer to this one. Until 4/8/2014.

For those familiar with Windows 7, what would be the advantages or disadvantages compared to XP? My system has a quad core overclocked to 3GHz and 4GB of RAM. I'm also debating on a 64bit version.

Any help, advice, opinions or otherwise are appreciated as the deal is over July 11th.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi innerpeace,

I really don't know if I can help with your dilemma, but we can talk about it. 1) I should think that if you are upgrading an OEM system it'll be stuck to that particular machine (only MS can give you a definite answer).

2) If you keep the upgrade, I'd say yes.(but you could restore an image without the upgrade)

3) I know there is no possibility to upgrade directly from XP to Win7, it is always a clean install, therefore I should think yes you can, as you've got the hardware requirements. You pay for a clean install as an upgrade.

4)definitely if you get the x64 dvd as well, I switched several times from 32 to 64 restoring their respective image.

I could be wrong with my comments (this is what I would think if I were in your situation). The main point whether you should continue with XP or upgrade to Win7, you can only answer to that. If you think you are going to get another machine within 2 years, then I'd stay with XP. Otherwise Win 7 is the future, personally I can't use XP anymore after using Vista.

8. innerpeace

Hi Osaban :). Thanks for jumping in here. I appreciate your input as I tend to complicate things and I'm usually good at asking tough questions LOL.

I think what complicates everything is I'm not familiar with the specifics of an Upgrade license. I've only bought 1 OEM copy of Windows and my other two licenses came with my last 2 computers.

I have also posted on MS forums as Blue13 if anyone wants to follow along. I've also asked a new question #3 lol. http://social.answers.microsoft.com...7/thread/dcc91526-4664-45ad-8667-f17fcc1741c3

Yeh, that's a tough one as my XP is OEM and the Upgrade is supposed to be retail.

I think you might be right but the image idea is a good one unless MS kills the XP key. Also I read you can't uninstall 7 but can reinstall the old OS. If I read it correctly that is. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

3) I did find out the answer is yes and your right about it being a clean install. Microsoft complicates this and calls it a Custom install rather than an upgrade. An Upgrade keeps your settings, etc.

That is good to hear. I may initially install 64 bit and find some things are not compatible then have to install 32bit. Later when things are compatible I would want to switch back to 64bit and add more RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.