Windows 7 -- tweaks to make navigation quicker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

One part of Vista/7 that really irritates me is the departure from a one or two click sequence to get to somewhere. It seems everything now takes twice as many clicks to do.

The classic example I like to use is that in prior versions, you could display the "My Network Places" icon on the desktop. Right clicking this icon, and choosing properties, led you straight to the panel where you could change your NIC settins. Vista/7 make this task go through extra panels to get to.

I absolutely cannot stand this. Using the run box, or the super duper search box in 7 works if you know for example to type in ncpa.cpl. But, who remembers all those things all the time? lol.

Windows XP and me got along fine. I had numerous registry entries to help make common tasks (for me) much faster. For example, I made a tool called My-Com-Text that let me place just about anything onto the My Computer icon context menu.

Windows 7 introduced a new key I had not used in XP, which may have been there for all I know. They are HKCR\DesktopBackground and HKCR\Directory\Background. You can use these keys to not only add context items to those areas, but you can include references to what icon to use and the entries placement (as in on top or on bottom).

Here are some examples. Note that if you wish to use an icon for one of these entries, and the icon is the default for an .exe, you can simply use this:
    "Icon"="regedit.exe"
    Which of course will show the default icon for the regedit program in the context menu.

If you wish to use an icon embedded in a .dll, it can also be done, but it is in a Reg_Expand_Sz format. Normally this expands a system variable, such as %System%. But you can also use it with hard-coded paths, like c:\windows\system32\etc\etc.

To use an icon embedded in a dll you of course have to know its reference number. I usually use exico icon extract to extract icons. But in this case, since most of my installs will always be in c:\windows, I decided to make my registry files use embedded dlls.

Here is an example of an embedded dll icon in the c:\windows\system32\netshell.dll library, using icon number 65.

The registry entry looks like this in the registry
    Code:
    Icons = c:\windows\system32\netshell.dll,65
    And here is what it looks like in a .reg file
    Code:
    "Icon"=hex(2):43,00,3A,00,5C,00,57,00,69,00,6E,00,64,00,6F,00,77,00,\
    73,00,5C,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6D,00,33,00,32,00,5C,00,6E,\
    00,65,00,74,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6C,00,6C,00,2E,00,64,00,6C,00,6C,00,\
    2C,00,36,00,35,00,00,00
    I have just finished coding a small tool that you drop a .dll onto, and it shows you the embedded icons (if any). After you choose one, an input box contains the line like above, but with your dll and your icon index ready to paste into a .reg file.

Here is an example of adding the ncpa.cpl context menu item to the Directory\Background key. On the desktop or in a directory, a right click gives you fast access to the NIC properties panel.

Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Network Connections]
    "Icon"=hex(2):43,00,3A,00,5C,00,57,00,69,00,6E,00,64,00,6F,00,77,00,\
    73,00,5C,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6D,00,33,00,32,00,5C,00,6E,\
    00,65,00,74,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6C,00,6C,00,2E,00,64,00,6C,00,6C,00,\
    2C,00,36,00,35,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Network Connections\command]
    @="control ncpa.cpl"
    I have found that my tool, "My-Com-Text" still works with Win7, so I have the My Computer icon filled with my useful entries. I will probably rewrite that to include these options at some point.

In windows 7 there is what is called a Super Control Panel shortcut you can make, which opens the control panel with every panel you can see grouped. It is much better than the standard control panel, but so big it takes a bit to scroll through it to find what you want. I am looking for someone who can tell me how to find out how to call those items with mmc.exe or rundll32 or control etc etc.

Anyway, tweaking Win7 is my current task, because I find I am spending a lot of time (in my hours of tweaking/hacking it) just navigating or figuring out where stuff is, because it has changed so much. Maybe you can find this useful as well.

Sul.

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thanks, those are awesome. I will definately be spending some time with those in the near future.

On another note, I have about got my basic tweaks done. I will post them here, because I understand finding tweaks is a bit confusing because many of them are not labeled. I have tried to label everything.

I am using all of these right now. Obviously some are commented out. My machine is purring along now. Since shutting down so much, the hdd performance is perhaps 70% of what XP was, which is good enough I suppose, but still leaves me a bit sour.

I broke them down into 5 different files, self explanatory in thier titles. I also broke down the contents of each into sections, as much as possible for a .reg file anyway.

You should NOT USE THESE if you don't have a backup in place! You can't just UNDO them because some of them are delete keys, and that means you can't enable if you don't like it etc.

Sul.

View attachment 7_Context_Menu_Tweaks.txt

View attachment 7_Generic_Tweaks.txt

View attachment 7_Misc_Performance_Tweaks.txt

View attachment 7_MyComputer_Context.txt

View attachment 7_Services_Tweaks.txt

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Ooh. Nice. I also dislike the new flavor.

Do you see the option in 7 anywhere to not display the tray icon? I have not seen it yet. I can 'hide' it, but I don't like to make concessions like that if there is a way to do it properly. Hmm. Maybe that is my problem lol.

Here is a registry tweak to add the so called "super control panel" to the my computer context menu, although you could put it about anywhere.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Control Panel Plus]
    @="Control Panel Plus"
    "Icon"="control.exe"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Control Panel Plus\command]
    @="explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
    Sul.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I never liked the gadgets in vista (what little I used it). I do however like a few of them in 7 for some reason.

Here is one I like that shows your network activity.
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=89fc6d27-0fe9-4c40-b1f4-e1c393415bff&bt=1&pl=1

Here is one that shows the temps of your nvidia gpu. Simple and sweet.
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=8dc35823-abbb-4926-a99e-d9c073f7203d&bt=1

Here is one I really like. HDD Monitor -- shows the read/write rate of each drive/logical partition in the machine, including usb/flash drives. Copy from one drive to another, or drive to drive, and see the actual read/write rates.
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=78573fd6-c621-4078-929b-4a5c0bb2597d&bt=1&pl=1

This one shows the current processes which are consuming the most cpu.
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=681102c2-5dde-44d2-a33a-96dbff32517a&bt=1

And for you network geeks, a nice CIDR calculator. I have often needed one of these.
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=6b66e20d-a5fa-4684-9850-c707b1e98a11&bt=1&pl=1

There are a lot of gadgets, and most of them I make a wide path to steer around. But there are a few useful ones.

Sul.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Right click Taskbar - properties - Taskbar tab - Notification area - Customize tab bottom left "Turn system icons on or off".

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thank you! I had not seen that before. Then again, 7 likes to put a lot of things in a manner that you don't see them readily. I sure miss the straight forward ways of the past sometimes.

On another note, this Full Row Select in explorer has got to go. I see Vista had a reg tweak for it, and I read over at M$ forums that in 7 they designed it that way with no option to remove. I have yet to see a solution.

Why do I hate it? I copy lots of things all the time. I am used to drag and drop on any column but the name. I do not like full row select because it severly interferes with a feature that has been in place since the beginning of time, and now it only is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Sul.

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

This site http://www.winvistaclub.com/t203.html claims that it is for Win 7 in the title but I'm not for sure if it works. It gives a download link for a script and it also says that Ultimate Tweaker will do it. I have UT in Win 7 but I'm booted into XP at the moment. I will check it here in a little bit if you like.

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Here is what was modded by UT for disabling full row select. I haven't re-booted yet so I don't know for sure if it works in Win 7. This may just be a left over from Vista. Not for sure if UT is Vista/7 combo app.

Code:
    2/12/2010 18:34:50    Set registry value    Permitted
    Process: e:\program files\windows ultimate tweaker\uwtv2.0\ultimate windows  tweaker.exe
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\FullRowSelect
    Data: 0x00000000(0)
    Rule: [Registry Group]System Settings -> [Registry]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\*

2/12/2010 18:34:52    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Process: e:\program files\windows ultimate tweaker\uwtv2.0\ultimate windows  tweaker.exe
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\WebView
    Rule: [Registry Group]System Settings -> [Registry]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\*

2/12/2010 18:34:53    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\AlwaysShowMenus
    Data: 0x00000001(1)

2/12/2010 18:34:54    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\IconsOnly

2/12/2010 18:34:54    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\AutoCheckSelect

2/12/2010 18:34:55    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\PersistBrowsers

2/12/2010 18:34:56    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\SeparateProcess

2/12/2010 18:34:57    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_EnableDragDrop

2/12/2010 18:34:57    Delete registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_LargeMFUIcons

2/12/2010 18:34:58    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_NotifyNewApps

2/12/2010 18:35:04    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_TrackProgs

2/12/2010 18:35:05    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_MinMFU

2/12/2010 18:35:06    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer

2/12/2010 18:35:07    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowNetConn

2/12/2010 18:35:08    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowControlPanel

2/12/2010 18:35:11    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSetProgramAccessAndDefaults

2/12/2010 18:35:12    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowPrinters

2/12/2010 18:35:13    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyDocs

2/12/2010 18:35:14    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowDownloads

2/12/2010 18:35:15    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuFavorites

2/12/2010 18:35:16    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyGames

2/12/2010 18:35:17    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp

2/12/2010 18:35:20    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHomegroup

2/12/2010 18:35:24    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyMusic

2/12/2010 18:35:25    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowNetPlaces

2/12/2010 18:35:26    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowUser

2/12/2010 18:35:26    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyPics

2/12/2010 18:35:27    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRecentDocs

2/12/2010 18:35:28    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRecordedTV

2/12/2010 18:35:28    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRun

2/12/2010 18:35:29    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_AdminToolsRoot

2/12/2010 18:35:30    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowVideos

2/12/2010 18:35:31    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarSizeMove

2/12/2010 18:35:31    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableBalloonTips

2/12/2010 18:35:32    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarGlomLevel

2/12/2010 18:35:33    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarSmallIcons

2/12/2010 18:35:33    Set registry value    Permitted
    Target: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\DisablePreviewDesktop

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Just had to jump in and say how much I agree with you.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A backup is always prudent before modifying your operating system. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will try this. I found lots of scripts and reg tweaks, but none so far have done it. I will give results on how it goes.

Thanks.

Sul.

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You should try out those context menu tweaks I posted. They have made it MUCH easier to get into common panels with one click instead of 4.

Sul.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Well I tried that fix for Full Row Select, and it did not work. Looks like it is off to test every known explorer replacement. Already found 22 of them! Doubt any will tweak my fancy though, as some of them cost around $80. Sheesh.

Sul.

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I have it in desktop right click context menu and computer
    1.jpg
    Here's what I have in computer context menu
    Untitled.jpg
    Here's the folder
    3.jpg
    I've trimmed some away but the ones I have seem to be very handy

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

What are you using to tweak your context menus? Good old fashioned reg edit or some tool?

Sul.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

The old fashion way

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Junction points, sybolic links, libraries, backwards compatability for XPs "docs and settings" -- yikes. Windows 7 directory structure for user data is illogical Mr. Spock!

Where is All Users, Shared Docs, Application Data and Local Settings, etc etc etc.

LOL, this is as confusing as mud. Fortunately, there are a few tricks to getting to know the "new and improved" linked-cross-linked file structure.

If you don't already know it, you can open a command prompt and type in the command "set" and hit enter. This has always shown you the variables that are commonly used. If you type this in
    Code:
    set >e:\variables.txt
    you will end up with a text file of them, at e: called variabled.txt

Now here is a nice trick in 7, probably works in Vista too. Open a command prompt and type this in (of course modifying the target)
    Code:
    dir c:\ /aL /s>e:\junction_points.txt
    this will spit out a text file which shows you all those jpoints and symLinks, and where they actually point too. Nothing like a little clarity in a muddy file system.

Sul.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

God, thank you for these. I spent two days at first wanting to burn my system because I kept trying to access folders only to get told "I didn't have the right to access"...excuse me? These jump lists, libraries all this stuff is ridiculous, I hate it. They did a good job with security and it's certainly nicer looking. But other than those two benefits, Windows 7 is a mess.

21. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would rather they just modified the file structure, gave you a cheat-sheet that said

"if you had it HERE in XP, place it HERE in 7"

and been done with it. Why they chose to keep backwards compatability when it mucks it up so bad is a mystery. Just change it, and move one. Those people who actually knew where to look understand what a file structure is anyway.

I had to look this up to modify my sandboxie.ini file, which has a lot of customized stuff.

I read that when you see one of those shortcut icons on a directoy, you cannot access them. Only the directories with the small padlock can you access.

Sul.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

My experience is the small padlocked ones are the ones you CAN'T access...and they happen to be the directories I was quite used to opening and modifying in XP. Speaking of XP, I can't stand that there is a Programs/Files directory for both 64 bit and 32 bit. Bah, everything is more tossed about and out of order. Totally the opposite of what Microsoft claimed they were doing with Windows Vista/7.

I wish they would have just left the file structure alone. Believe me, I get it. Programs can't automatically throw files wherever they please now, and it helps secure the OS. I get that, I just don't like it, at least not the way it was done.

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Regarding that padlock icon, if you are in Users\<you> or Users\All Users, you can enter them. It is messed up. The "All Users" containers are actually located in either Users\Public or ProgramData, yet the containers that are padlocked in ProgramData are located in Users\Public. So depending where you are and where the junction leads to, you can open it or not. Yep, perfectly clear to me, not to you? LOL.

I have 32 and 64 bit, but prefer 32bit due to preference. I was under the impression that the program files (x86) directory (the one you refer to? ) was for the virtualized area when dealing with older softwares. I have not seen (x86) directory at all since disabling UAC.

I found that after looking at those jpoints and symLinks, I better understand where they are going (for example the ProgramData directory). It would have been much much easier without all the linking though. Some of those links that you can open are an endless loop of links. I know why it happens, but I don't understand why they would even want that to happen.

Like you say, it is all out of order. They should have changed docs and settings to Users, placed the "all users" or "shared" portions in the new locations and not tried to coddle the xp holdouts. Anyone who knows anything can adapt. (XP users prepare yourself if you have not investigated Vista/7, it sort of looks the same, but it throws you a bit )

Sul.

24. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Which Win7 tweak resolves this issue? It's driving me crazy as well.

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

AFAIK there is nothing you can do about this.

As stated already, those items are sort of like shortcuts. They are usable, but not in the way you expect.

If you were to have a program, written for XP, that said to make a file in c:\documents and settings\<your user name>, in 7 it would fail, becuase there is no longer a c:\documents and settings. In 7, it is now all in the c:\User directory.

So what M$ did was to create the "virtual folders" so to speak, that exist, you can see them, but are only "pointers" to the "new" locations. So, a program built for XP, installs to the old location. When it does this, that is when the locked "virtual directory" you are seeing comes into play. It merely forwards the things being created/accessed/whatever to the new location, in c:\users directory.

So, since it is only a shortcut of sorts, you can't really open it. But they don't say this, they just say "you can't access this". What they should have said in that error box was "this isn't a real folder, it is only a pointer to the real folder, and that real folder now lives in c:\users\etc\etc". Then you would say to yourself "ah! They changed the structure".

See?

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.