Windows 7 - The new XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fuzzfas, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It seems to me that it is more Vista than XP.

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Of course! It's Vista Second Edition. :D

Anyway, it's all about your video card in how it feels. The main difference that i felt with XP mainly when i tried Vista, was the slow response of opening windows. In 7 this was improved.

But, if you want an XP-ish response feeling in Win 7 , while you want to keep aero's most important features, give a try to my visual effects settings:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1557/27412668.png

Personally i am very satisfied with them. It's as fast as XP was.

I use onboard integrated VGA (ATI HD 3300). If your VGA is too weak, disable aero and then pretty much you have a system that feels like XP without any transparencies.

7 is a good OS. It just needs half decent video card to handle the transparencies.

I 'd say that all in all, it needs less maintenance than XP. I needed less time to do fresh install and configure 7 than XP. And i 've installed XP so many times that i do everything automatically. So that's a good sign for 7.

4. Fuzzfas

And this is one good advantage of 7 over XP and even more if you have x64 version:

It will take advantage of all your RAM , caching it (like Linux does):

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3757/61013170.png

(note the Free is to 0 from the 4GB i have installed. Well 4GB - 256 MB which go to the VGA shared memory).

I am thinking of going to 8 GB RAM because of this. I already have the extra RAM modules ready, the only thing keeping me away from it is that i would have to put memory Timing from 1T to 2T.

That's the future gentlemen. I think someone with 7 will be good for many years to come (just like XPers today). It has the eye candy that modern times require, but not too heavy. The next Windows OS will probably be heavier and i can't think of much more it could add to 7 to keep a home user happy.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Any chance Windows 7 included the ability to revert back to the "classic" interface? Like you can do with XP.

I absolutely HATE how vista looks and so far Windows 7 looks identical. It looks retarded. I cannot stand Fisher Price interfaces at all. Animated icons, bouncing windows, gradients, see-through windows, the new start menu, etc.. are all completely useless and do nothing but take up resources. Having a "sidebar" is another useless tool to me as I have always disabled it. I have hated the new look of Windows since the first press conference I attended announcing the upcoming Vista.

If it's not possible to get rid of all the useless graphical "improvements", keep it....I'll stick with XP.

Pardon the rant. :D

6. Fuzzfas

You can use classic theme (Win98 like):

http://www.askvg.com/microsoft-windows-seven-bug-report/

You can also use The "basic" theme, which is with no aero,transparencies etc.

I think you can also order the control panel to show icons instead of the current menus.

7. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You can always choose in settings option:
    Adjust for best performance instead of Adjust for best apperance.
    after that 7 will looks very similar to oldie XP without Luna.

8. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I'm getting the upgrade disk since I bought a new computer with Vista in July. I see most everyone thinks a clean install is the way to go, but I was wondering about two things.

1. Since 7 uses the same kernal(i've been told) that Vista uses, would just upgrading be better and possibly without the problems people had from xp to Vista?

2. If I did just upgrade, not clean install and the system was bogging down or I didn't like the way it ran, could I not then do a clean install?

I've never upgraded a OS and a bit wary of doing a clean install. When I download programs and files, I save them all to an external hard drive, not the C:, so not sure what I would have to back up before doing a clean install. I guess it comes down to what is on the C: drive that I would need after switching to 7.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i can personally tell u, ive yet to come across on of my programs that arent working in Win7. compatibility is almost perfect.

10. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

firzen, you mean in just using the upgrade option? That would be a better option for me, just for my sanity. lol

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well me i personally did a clean install, so not sure, but every application ive installed has worked fine.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Everybody is different, thank God for that! (that is true even if you don't believe in a god). Lately I had the opportunity to see and try a new demo area for Apple computers: The McBooks series is just gorgeous in terms of design, graphics and speed, one can have a raw laboratory computing machine, anonymous, fast, efficient etc... But for some people, looks are as important as performance, and I think MS has finally understood this important factor for many people.

Why don't I go Mac? Too expensive (at least here in Seoul) and... Vista looks good, IMHO!

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

tbh i think windows vista and 7 look modern.
    windows xp standard theme reminded of fisher price lol.

14. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I get what you're saying now.

I know this is a basic level question, but say I do a clean install of 7. Will it search and install drivers on its own and then I could look for updates or would it not install any drivers at all?

And, my semi new computer is HP. It's got all that stuff HP puts on their computers, so my understanding is that all that would be wiped off if I do a clean install. Is that correct? Do you think having that factory installed Vista from HP would cause any trouble in doing a clean install from an upgrade disk?

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    windows will have most of the drivers for the hardware but some it wont. sometimes it will pick up some from windows update.

its best to go to the hp website and download all the drivers for your hard ware and store them somewhere for example usb stick.

yes you would lose all those applications. you may have the discs for some of them and some maybe avaliable from the HP website along with the drivers.

do you have a vista disc from HP? if so i dont think there will be any problems using that.

16. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Didn't get a Vista disk but made the "recovery disks" that HP said to make. On the D: drive(it was pre-installed), I have a recovery partition(I think that is what HP calls it). This was new to me, but from what I understand this also has the original Vista setup on it. At the time, I didn't know that HP put this in as part of the installation. So, if I install W7 on the C: drive, I assume that the D: drive would be left alone and would still have all the Vista backups?

I'm just average on all the security stuff I have learned from this site and way below average on stuff like partitions,etc. That's why I was hoping that the upgrade option wouldn't be a bad thing.

But I don't want to have any problems in the future and if a clean install is the best, that's what I want to do.

I know where the drivers are on the HP site, so I can download them there. Like I mentioned, all my software stuff is already saved on an external drive, so I can just add the drivers on that drive.

Most of the HP software isn't necessary, or at least hasn't been to date. Don't think it would be that big of a deal to lose those and might even be a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.