Windows 7 "SP2" launched

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Amanda, May 17, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

EDIT: Never mind, apparently Microsoft downloaded the x86 version.

Attached Files:

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Interesting.

AutoPatcher downloads more than a GB of updates for W7 x64, but this update is less than 500.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Some kind of compression maybe? I also thought I read somewhere that updates to IE aren't included, so maybe that's part of it. Not sure....

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Makes sense, though if Microsoft says "all the updates are included" I would expect that the IE updates were also included. Perhaps Microsoft realized that IE is not "suitable for general distribution" :argh:

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I haven't used IE since IE6, lol... My install here is working very well, better than my previous Win 7 using Win Updates. I don't know if the rollup has all updates, but I think it has most. There were 123 in the list. I'm happy with it so far anyhow. But I'm also not being too critical about the whole thing. I suppose they could slip whatever they want into these rollups, but I'd rather not think that way if I'm going to use it. I'll go with it as long as I don't see any problems or suspicious behavior by the OS. So far, so good....

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

The install was very quick for me, around 20 minutes.
    However, AutoPatcher couldn't detect them, so I can't see what is installed so far.

Do you think more of these big updates will come? Because if not, then I'll just use AutoPatcher and not this "Sp2".

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only big one is the one you just installed which supposedly has all post SP1 updates thru April 2016. From that point forward, there is supposed to be a monthly rollup. Here is the next one for May 2016, which I installed also:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156417

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Oh, I see. Looks nice, I must say. Much better then regular updates (either via WU or AP).

Thanks! You're helping me a lot with Windows :p

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Glad to help... :)

11. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

The May 2016 security updates (and other important updates) were still separate, not as a rollup package.
    That May 2016 monthly rollup package includes only a few non-security fixes.
    This is also mentioned in the May 17 TechNet blogpost, "Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1":

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, that's probably correct. The May update rollup was very small, only about 6MB if I remember right. Also keep in mind that the "big" rollup also doesn't include everything either. I'm not sure what their criteria was for including updates, but neither rollup is 100% of all updates.

13. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I use komms update checker to manage my updates, I believe the individual updates will still be packaged, but they just wont be distributed on windows update. So if you like me and use a third party tool with individual updates then you will probably be ok, I just use windows update for office, flash and silverlight updates. (on windows 7 also for .net as komms doesnt do .net on win7).

14. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.