Windows 7 security - Everything you need to know

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Windows users rejoice!

I've written an extensive guide to Windows 7 security, covering topics like updates, Windows Defender, anti-virus and anti-malware software, firewall configuration, User Account Control (UAC), Protected Mode for Internet Explorer 8, Data Execution Prevention (DEP), folder options, and more.

I think you will like this one.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-security.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome, especially if you have more tips to offer. Of course, the emphasis is on strategy rather than any particular mix of tools.

Next articles include dual boot with Ubuntu and OS customization. Stay tuned.

Regards,
    Mrk

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Nice guide that covers the built-in features. A little typo though. Check your PM.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You didn't mention LUA's (yes UAC is similar but not exactly the same). You left out AppLocker (only available in Pro and Ultimate) and Bitlocker (encryption only in Ultimate). I find AppLocker to be excellent for locking down user accounts. It's an updated and more powerful version of SRP.

Also, you said:

I don't think admin privileges have anything to do with DEP, which is only there to protect apps from executing from various regions of memory. This is independent of privileges.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nice, rich, in-depth guide with great use of screenshots (something that goes amiss in some guides). Good work!

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Thanks for the comments.

As you may have noticed in the conclusion section, we'll have a sequel :)
    Configuring LUA properly is not a 5-min task. We'll get there. I'll revisit the issue of Group Policies too. We'll talk about advanced concepts as well.

As to DEP, well, try it for yourself. You'll see that the combination of limited privileges and DEP are a killer to some programs.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.