Windows 7 Security Enhancements

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

A lot of the security features he mentioned in that article sound wonderful if you're an IT but how about an explanation aimed at the viewpoint of a regular user. I've looked for a detailed HowTo for AppLocker but as of yet have been unable to find one. For those of us who like and use SRP (in Vista or XP Pro but more particularly Vista) Windows 7 is bringing a whole new ballgame. For instance, I like setting up my browser (Firefox) as Basic User within SRP for Vista...yet if I do the same under Windows 7 I get a pop-up box saying Firefox had been blocked from executing by Group Policy. The Designated File Types (anti-executable) part of Windows 7 seems to function the same as in Vista. I'm sure the answer to this problem will be found within AppLocker but as I've said finding detailed information on it has proven elusive.

As of now I don't like AppLocker...but maybe later I will once I learn how to use it.

Later....

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only versions that include those features are ultimate and enterprise.
    I was hoping some of that stuff would be included in pro.

4. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Hello everyone,

My biggest concern about windows 7 at the moment is : do all softwares support vista support windows 7 as well?

Any imcompatibility experences to share?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Actually applications seem to run better in Windows 7 than they do under Vista.

Also, if I locked down Vista with SRP I could not execute a portable application on a USB drive or second hard drive even if I excluded it within SRP...but under Win 7 it works fine.

Later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.