Windows 7 Review: XP vs Vista vs 7 in 80+ Benchmarks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MaximumPC Article

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

See summary below (where tie, both get points):

Applications
    XP = ////
    Vista = //
    7 = //

Applications - just comparing Vista and 7
    XP =
    Vista = ///
    7 = /////

Network
    XP =
    Vista = /
    7 = ///

Games ATI
    XP = ////
    Vista = /
    7 = /////

Games ATI - just comparing Vista and 7
    XP =
    Vista = ////
    7 = //////

Games NVIDIA
    XP = ///
    Vista = ///
    7 = ////

Games NVIDIA - just comparing Vista and 7
    XP =
    Vista = ////
    7 = ///////

3. Saraceno

In summary, I think XP does quite well in applications and games. It's the winner in applications, and close in the games. Considering when it came out, in my opinion, I'd say XP is the overall winner.

With regards to Vista, when you compare it alone with Windows 7, it's not far behind at all. Some were won by Windows 7 (to Vista) by the narrowest of margins.

So although you could walk away from the article thinking Windows 7 is the greatest, considering the time and money spent on the product, it is by no means leaps and bounds better than XP or Vista. :) (my opinion that is based on that one article)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

on my hardware using the same applications windows 7 feels alot more responsive.
    benchmarks only show so much.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

agreed, MUCH more responsive than Vista was.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

In my case Windows 7 is much more responsive (also faster boot-time ~22sec) than Windows XP.

7. firzen771

same experience here. boot time compared to vista is dramatically better.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

in my experience, XP seems fastest, followed by win 7, while vista is slowest.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to put 7 fastest also. XP is quick right after a reformat/reinstall, but it has a tendency to slow down and get sluggish in pretty short order.... 7 is very clean, and seems to hold up best for me.

10. firzen771

ye i have the same experience, XP is good after a format but it gets bogged down in due time, but Win7 is def holding performance well.

11. Saraceno

Interesting stuff. I guess the benchmarks test for right now, rather than after a few weeks, or months, or longer when running a system.

It's good to know from your experiences 7 is an improvement. I haven't tested it yet, I was just summarising the article - and how I interpreted the material.

12. firzen771

been running Win7 Fulltime, almost 24/7 and its just as fast as wen i first formatted, so its very good.

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Does anyone know why this is happening?

14. firzen771

no idea why, but theyve done something to improve performance consistency.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is you shouldnt be afraid to try software. the problem is that with windows generally programs dont remove 100percent so windows gets slower and slower and has bits dotted around like drivers left over etc. ive been meaning to reinstall my parents computer because ive tryed tons of stuff on it and its got tons of left over stuff after uninstalling programs but i dont have the time.
    on other operating systems you can try as much software as you like and it is always the same speed.
    once i found that out i was annoyed with windows. with linux i can try whatever the hell i like and if i want to remove the stuff it removes 100percent cleanly and no slowdown.

16. firzen771

ive always wondered why they culdnt do that with Windows and it does get irritating...

17. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Blame the Windows Registry for this. More often than not, applications are able to uninstall all the files/folder but not the registry entries. Adobe applications are a perfect example of uninstallation gone wrong.

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

19. firzen771

i use that, and it does remove a lot, but its never perfect.

20. firzen771

if only the vendors just made the built in uninstallers uninstall everything we wuldnt have these problems but for some reason that ill never be able to comprehend they dont...

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is exactly what happens..... While in my frequent app installing and uninstalling days, I worked around the problem with images. Anytime I wanted to try something new, I just did an image before the new install. Then after, reverted back. If I wanted to keep something, then I did a new image including that app. It was tedious, but it worked.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

never noticed that my system (XP) got sluggish,its all due to your cleaning habits,and yes REVO is one of your friends among others.

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If you like to keep comp. repair shops busy then don't talk about imaging to your friends. LOL :D

24. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I'd have to echo your thoughts, i had XP installed for very close to 5 years until the other week me and GesWall butted heads and i re-installed from scratch.

Believe it or not, with XP re-installed and all the service packs and updates done it was slower in it's basic form than my close to 5yo install. Boot time was the only thing quicker obviously due to having no AV/Wirewall or startup programs yet, but for usage the fresh install was painfully slow.

These benchmarks are fun to read, but benchmarking my XP and 7 installs on the same hardware shows significant discrepancies in favor of XP due to the way XP is configured and tweaked.

7 is a nice OS, but it would be silly for me to buy a license when i just use the OS to load an environment that allows me to use third party apps.

25. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I got into the habit a while ago of installing as many programs as possible within Symantec SVS (formerly Altiris).This completely removes the issue of leftover files clogging up the system,since deleting the package removes all traces instantly.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.