Windows 7 RC out - Does NOD32 play nice with it?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bodean, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Anyone try NOD 32 v4 with Windows 7 RC 7100?

Installing 7 now, will report back.

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Where have you got the RC from may I ask? It's not showing up on my MSDN Subscriber Downloads page.

Jim

3. bodean

bodean Registered Member

It was leaked yesterday on the web

4. jimwillsher

Thought so. So at the moment it's not legitimate software.....

5. Gamil

Gamil Registered Member

Only illegit. from the distributor's end, since anyone else using it only sees the standard Microsoft EULA. Distributor agreed to the NDA, anyone else is just agreeing to not distribute licenses (MS freely allows duplication of the media, as long as you don't alter it).

There's no reason for anything that works with Vista to not work with Win7, since Win7 is simply a streamlined version of Vista. Any application-based problems encountered on Vista will carry over to Win7.

*edit*

I should note that MS ONLY allows duplication and (not-for-profit) distribution of the *retail* media. They do not allow duplication of Enterprise and other activation-agnostic media. OEM media is covered by the license provided by the OEM.

The reasoning behind this is fairly simple: The media is of no use without a license except as a Trial/Demo version of the product (keyless installation). (or, in the case of versions < Vista, of no use at all.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. emf

emf Registered Member

HOWEVER, Windows 7 beta (Build 7000) was officially available from Microsoft 2 months ago. NOD32 will install, but a message box indicates "this program has known incompatibilities with Windows 7" and will not load. This happens even after compatibility mode is used.

So.....when can we expect a Windows 7 compatible version of NOD32 to be released? Times awastin'....MS will release RS officially May 5.

I have been a NOD32 user for many many years and would like to continue to be so......right now I have the free Avira installed.....it is completely compatible.

emf

7. jimwillsher

Whilst I haven't installed the leaked RC of Win 7, my colleague has done. I told him yesterday that it had been leaked, to which he replied "I know, I'm downloading it". Ahem..........

Anyway, he has installed it (x64 release I think) and then installed ESET EAVBE 4.0.424. And he says that it all works fine.

According to postings on the interweb, MSDN subscribers should get it next Friday so that's when I'll be trying it. But according to my collegue it works ok, no install issues.

Jim

8. MikeMcr

MikeMcr Registered Member

I installed the latest build of NOD32 v4 on Windows 7 RC Build 7100 x86 and it seems to work fine :thumb:

Out of interest, have ESET fallen out with Microsoft? They are the only "major" company missing from the list of Antivirus vendors when you ask Windows 7 for a list of Antivirus products...

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Possibly, I know at one point Microsoft was an ESET customer, but that was several years ago.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You mean there are advantages to being a Microsoft customer.:D :cautious:

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Either I misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me :p

Basically, Microsoft used to buy AV from ESET, I don't think ESET ever bought anything from Microsoft? Well, maybe OS's for their machines :D

I believe they stopped when they started doing the whole OneCare/etc.

12. SalC

SalC Registered Member

My co-worker is using it on his computer .. I have a Group Policy that installs NOD32 via the remote-install push (an .exe that calls back into the RA and downloads the package and installs it).

It installed and was done within 3 minutes of him booting up for the first time.

He hasn't complained about any issues so far with his system..

13. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

W7 RC 7100 IS available form Microsoft from last Monday, thats where I got mine.

Its probably I have done something, but NOD32 424 is not now showing in the sys tray in the taskbar, it was OK and then it disappeared.

I think I'll do an uninstall and re-install.

What I dont like in W7 is the way the Start Meny is setup, that is, I canot set the folders as I want them, I want to use my own folders, one for each category of software links.

But, Last night I found a workaround.
    Go into C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Start Menu
    There are your start menu folders and shortcuts.
    Move them to another location.
    Create in the start menu the folders that you want.
    Then move the shortcuts to where you wantthem.

Its now nice and neat.

14. jimwillsher

It shows up ok for me, you just have to choose to show the icon in the systtray like you did under XP/Vista.

15. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

No problems here with the latest NOD32 AV on windows 7 x64 RC for me so far.

16. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

W7 first bug.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003

I think I ran into this bug, anyway, I uninstalled Nod32, re-instaled and its running fine.

I also had the same problem with another couple of programs but all is well now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.