Windows 7 problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Aug 20, 2016.

1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I know a lot of you here are still using Win 7 and out of curiosity I decided to go back and install it again. I used a fresh install and updated it to the latest updates, but I am disappointed with it.

I am currently using Win 8.1 without the Metro rubbish and Start8 as the start manager so in look it is very much like Win 7. I find it is much snappier in use than 7. Ignoring the start/close times everything works much better.

So the question is, is there a setting I have missed along the line? I am sure that 7 devotees would not be putting up with a slower m/c if they could upgrade out of it.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use Windows 7 at home and Windows 8.1 at work and don't notice any speed difference when using them.
    I don't think that there is one setting that would improve the speed.
    Personally I disable services that I don't need, startup apps that don't need to run and don't run real-time AV. I also use SSD and run system and apps from it.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi djg05

I think the clue might be "latest updates" I recently did a clean install of Win 7 Pro on a VM. It flew, then I did all the updates and it sank. What I would do is do a clean install, then install KB3172605 which is the speed updates up fix, and then just install all the Security updates, and .net updates.

Pete

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - they are both running on a SSD. The Win 8 is an old installation and would have expected to have slowed down by now. It is a very marked difference between the two to the degree that I get impatient with it.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Pete - I did follow the instructions to get the faster updating and that worked well. I just installed the security updates (recommended) but did not go through them to check if there were any to avoid.

6. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Yes the win7 updates mess is documented on woodys windows blog -take a look how to solve it.

ALso win8 has a fair amount of extra telemetry going to MS compared to win7.
    Win10 of course is even worse.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows 7 - if you buy a refurbished computer loaded with Windows 7 that has never seen an update - install the staging pack first, the cumulative pack and the latest cumulative rollup.

After that, run Windows Update for any required further updates that might be needed.

8. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Leave my security programs to handle problems, why let more in (billy gates updates)?
    No more updates from "ms" for me. :p

Win 7

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks to all for the help with this. I eventually tracked it down to the Power Settings which had been set to minimal. They are turned up to Ferrari settings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.