Windows 7 Pro (x86) and SafeOnline

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Lyondellic, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyondellic

Lyondellic Registered Member

I know that most on this board are aware of this issue, but figured that I would share my experience in case it is helpful to anyone. I am relatively new to Prevx, but work in IT (mobile computing) and possess an advanced knowledge of computer hardware and software accordingly. Long story short, I have been building, configuring and using computers since the days of DOS and the lovely TRS-80.

I bought an Acer X1300-U1801A and performed a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on August 16th (thank you MSDN). I am using the current release of Prevx (v3.0.5.40), but no other antivirus or anti-malware applications are being used. I do have the default Windows firewall enabled, but Windows Defender has been disabled.

After installing Prevx, I initially left all settings at their default, with the exception of the following: 1) disabled the splash screen, 2) enabled enhanced rootkit detection, 3) set to automatically block access to infected files without prompting, 4) added a password, 5) set up a daily scan schedule. The installation was fast and uneventful. Within a short period of time, however, Google Chrome [v3.0.195.38] and IE8 [v8.0.7600.16385] started to crash and recover on a frequent basis. For the record, this had not been an issue before I installed Prevx.

Here is the log entry from one IE8 event:

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16385,
    time stamp: 0x4a5bc69e
    Faulting module name: WS2_32.dll,
    version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb4a
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000048c5
    Faulting process id: 0x1500
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca868618b4eb50
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll

Here is the log entry from one Google Chrome event:

Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 0.0.0.0,
    time stamp: 0x4b1ff63f
    Faulting module name: WS2_32.dll,
    version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb4a
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000048cb
    Faulting process id: 0x1194
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca84b55f2746c8
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Lyondellic\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll

I noticed that both events were related to WS2_32.dll and decided to lower the default SafeOnline setting for http:// sites. I also used the command "netsh Winsock reset" under Admin to reset and rebuild the Winsock catalog. After taking these actions, the issue manifested less often, but nonetheless persisted at an unacceptable frequency.

After weighing my options, I decided to disable SafeOnline. To compensate, I increased Advanced Heuristics to Maximum and raised Program Popularity Heuristics to Medium. Since these changes were implemented, the issue has not manifested. Clearly, SafeOnline has some compatibility issues that Prevx needs to address ASAP. Until then, I intend to leave SafeOnline disabled.

I welcome any suggestions or comments. I am the first to admit that everything I know about computers is due to me breaking something and the untold hours spent "unfixing" the damage.

2. Lyondellic

Lyondellic Registered Member

Bump for those who are interested.

3. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

ive been told they are working on it,

it does suck though, its annoying me quite a bit now.

does it on IE8 with me, but ive tested the others aswell and SafeOnline doesnt like it, crashes everytime, almost as soon as i enter youtube etc lol.

they sent me their test version that apparently fixes it, but sadly... it did not.

Im hoping its a simple fix and can be done ASAP.

only time will tell.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.