Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nomarjr3, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I read that article the other day. I have not experienced any of the problems the article spoke of. Office 2007 seems to run better on 64 than 32 from my observations.

In other forums, such as Neowin and Vistax64, I have not seen any of the symptoms the article describes. When someone asks about getting Vista 32 or 64 bit, the majority consensus is 64 bit.

I don't know what kind of hardware Heiker has, but if I experienced one tenth of the problems he claims to have I would have dumped 64 long ago. You have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. What matters to me is my experience with a product.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does anyone have any idea when sp2 for vista is ment to be shipped?
    last i heard was early 2009.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have not seen any problems with it here on x64 either, and I use it daily.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Found this at the Windows Vista Magazine:

Full article http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

not sure i like the answer about will windows ship anymore updates for vista.
    there better be a service pack 2 and it better fix the remaining issues.

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanx lodore, currently I would not be prepared to make such a radical change to my computing, I require windows for software I use, so that is really out of the question for me.

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanx again midway40 that's good to know. Having given this a lot of thought I am once again leaning towards 64bit, (don't have to decide until mid November) despite the incompatibility of my favorite security software, as I understand it Returnil is working on a 64bit version, timeline unknown.

Anyway, thanx to all for your input / experiences.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im starting to not like windows 7 already. what is it with microsoft and ribbon menus? i hate ribbon menus.
    why doesnt ms just ditch paint and replace it with paint.net?
    these are the features i think windows 7 should have:eek:ut of the box iso burning and out of the box PDF reader. windows start menu across multiple monitors.
    most importantly a more stable base. one driver/program shouldn't be able to crash the whole OS.
    there is nothing worse than trying out a simple program to check information about yourhardware and your whole OS crashing! ugh. my most recently example was last week when i wanted to check what ram upgrades i could get so i went to the uk crucial website downloaded the memory advisor tool on 64bit vista and it caused a bsod.
    you shouldnt need to reboot after installing a program.
    the main problems with vista is speed,compatibility and speed.
    if windows 7 is more stable reliable and faster i can can get used to the ribbon menus and wont mind the cost as much. but i dont think i wil buy it before at least 1 service pack and hopefullky be able to download it as a trial first before shelling out for it.
    of course im wondering what service pack two for vista will sort out first.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

PC World Article - October 23rd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.