Windows 7 - Is it possible to block telemetry data ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Defenestration, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I checked the link, and googled a bit.

I could not find any reference to Windows XP, only Vista.

Do you have any evidence ?

Regarding Vista: is that telemetry thing something for every Vista system, or only for certain software/configurations/versions ?

I don't intend to make it a research project, but regarding Windows 7: what kind of telemtry data is sent, to whom, and for what use ?

2. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

This telemetry data is only supposed to be sent during beta/RC stage. Once Win 7 goes final, no telemtry data should be sent (although some data will still be sent as part of some normal services (unless disabled), like Windows Update). This is the price users pay for getting "free" use of the latest Win OS (ie. in return for "free" usage crash data and other telemtry data will be automatically sent to MS).

TBH, my original post was because I was being lazy and hadn't investigated the problem myself, but wanted a quick answer, in case someone else had already checked it out.

I will post a link soon where I read that telemetry data is sent in Win RC.

3. Defenestration

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Is it not, the purpose of taking advantage of the beta/RC program with Window 7 to provide feedback to Microsoft? Seems to me that turning off any feedback mechinisim is defeating the whole purpose of the bera/RC program. Why install it if you don't want to play? Just wait until Windows 7 is released.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

6. Defenestration

If I find a bug I usually report it myself. However, I don't like the idea that data about my usage is sent automatically in the background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.