Windows 7 Homegroup & other networking

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rattcatcher, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rattcatcher

rattcatcher Registered Member

Hello,

I've been using ESS for a few years now with no problems :)

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 RTM x64 (clean install) & installed ESS4. As usual, no problems & all my applications worked fine with one exception :doubt:

My first and only problem occurred when I tried to connect my Netbook and PC using a Homegroup. They just would not connection (even if I tried traditional file shares). I did all the usual checks and found that if I switched off ESS's firewall it all worked fine (this obviously wasn't an option so I re-enabled ESS's firewall) :doubt:

During my investigations I noticed Windows 7 doesn't automatically switch off it's internal firewall when you have a third party security app like ESS installed :mad:. I turned off the internal firewall (for both private & public connections) in control panel but still had no luck o_O. After checking the logs I found that if I turned off both the TCP & UDP 'Port Scan' rules along with the 'block unsafe addresses after attack detection' rule in ESS's IDS, it all worked fine again :D

This work around gets the job done but hopefully the tech's at ESS will release an update to coincide with Windows 7's official release on Oct 22 (or hopefully sooner!) :D

Ratcatcher :cool:

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Yeah, see the other threads on this. Don't hold your breath, we've been waiting...

3. roban

roban Registered Member

I'm glad to see others have this problem. Mine is with printer sharing between an XP machine and Windows 7 Pro. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Update: Worked perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.. Needed a work around. Shame ESET are dragging behind other secuirty vendours in getting ESET working correctly in Windows 7. Shame on them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.