Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit & IRQ Sharing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just upgraded one of my PC's with a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I installed a PCI Multimedia Card in one of the three available PCI slots. When I loaded the drivers for the PCI Multimedia Card, the Window's Device Manager stated that the device could not start.

I read on the PCI Multimedia Card Manufacturer's website that if that happens try moving it to a different PCI slot to see if the problem is still there. I moved the PCI Multimedia Card to a another PCI slot and the problem went away.

I thought that I read somewhere that Windows Vista and later eliminated such conflicts.

Please comment.

I want to make sure that the new motherboard is not defective. Other than this PCI slot issue, the motherboard seems to be stable and fast.

Note: The PCI Multimedia Card is certified by Microsoft to be Windows 7 32 bit & 64 bit compatible.

Thanks in Advance.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If there is a conflict it is likely truly hardware and not software. If you found a slot it works in, I would call it good. If it was trying to share circuits on the board with other resource intensive devices, it can still cause problems. If you try to plug a sound card into a slot that for example that shares the same PCI lanes as a RAID controller, it will cause too much latency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.