Windows 7 general compiler error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mister Natural, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I've looked at other recommended solutions but the problem keeps coming back on this one machine. I've uninstalled 4.2.4, rebooted, deleted the eset directory in program files. Re-installed using a cfg.xml file. System runs fine for a while, updates ok. But after a couple hours the system fails to update with general compiler error. Plenty of free disk space on the drive. Clearing the cache does not fix the problem. User is on a domain and is a local admin on their machine.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since there can be something wrong in the xml file you imported, I'd suggest you do the following:
    - use ESET uninstall tool to remove EAV completely
    - download and install the latest version of EAV. Do not import any configuration. Should you need to make other changes than entering the username and password for update, do it manually (that shouldn't be necessary, however, and default settings should work fine).

3. Mister Natural

I'll give it a try and report back, probably tomorrow sometime. Thanks Marcos.

4. Mister Natural

Keeping my fingers crossed, it appears to be ok now. It's updated twice this morning without any errors.

I uninstalled v4.2.4, rebooted, deleted the leftover eset directory in program files. Program data was already cleared. Then I ran regedit and deleted the HKLM\software\eset and HKCU\software\eset keys. Reinstalled without a config file and manually entered all settings. It's been nearly 4 hours and 2 updates, so far so good.

I was a little leery about using the eset removal tool because of some warnings and disclaimers that came along with it.

5. Mister Natural

Well things have been running fine on that pc since my last post in this thread. But I just received an email from that machine which is again reporting a general compiler error during update.
    BTW - this is a brand new Dell pc and has never had any other AV or AS product installed on it.

6. Marcos

I'd suggest contacting customer care. The content of the updfiles folder as well as all dat files from the ESET installation folder will be needed to troubleshoot the issue.

7. Mister Natural

Ticket has been submitted. When the problem is determined I will update this thread.

8. Mister Natural

Well I sent them a zipped sysinspector file yesterday. Today they emailed back saying they couldn't open it for whatever reason. In the mean time I fixed the issue for now, not sure if it will stay that way though.
    I went to the pc and cleared the update cache. After doing so it still wouldn't update, so I then sent an update command to the pc from RAC and it then started updating properly again.

9. Marcos

Feel free to PM me a link to an archive containing the following:
    - SysInspector log
    - files from the "C:\Users\All Users\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles" folder
    - *.dat files from the ESET install folder
    - exported "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET" registry key

10. Mister Natural

I appreciate that Marcos. I think I'll wait a bit and see what happens with it for now. Thanks again for the offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.