Windows 7 general compiler error again

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mister Natural, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

Yes I know that, but checking insures the directory has been properly cleared.

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

cleaned everything, incl. temp directories, still no avail. is there anybody from Eset actually looking into this as I submitted procmon and tcp dumps? NOD is not updating, nor is there an explanation of the command line interface getting invoked!

3. Mister Natural

I've received word that nothing unusual was found in the files they requested which I submitted yesterday. Now I am instructed to change event log settings to "diagnostic report". This can be changed in advanced settings of "user interface/alerts and notifications". I will be sending that event log after an update is retrieved and installed.

After submitting files yesterday I cleared my cache and rebooted so the pc is pulling updates properly again.

Clarification: I will submit log file after the next compiler error. So waiting for that to happen again.......

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

all diagnostic data gone to Eset, nothing in return to solve the issue (or better to prevent from being repeated), NOD not updating since 3 days....

no reply to why the command line interface getting invoked...

curiously the update works suddenly again, as sudden as the compiler error started

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Should the command line interface be invoked again, capture it in a video as we have no clue what you mean. The kernel service responsible for updates has absolutely no gui output.
    The diagnostic records showed an unusual error that shouldn't occur at. The developers will need to get the content of the "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles" folder.

For others who have encountered this kind of update issues, here's a list of all the stuff that needs to be supplied to ESET:
    - ESET event log from the moment of a failing update created with diagnostic logging enabled
    - the content of the "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles" folder
    - all *.dat files from the ESET install folder
    - Wireshark pcap log from the moment of a failing update if updating from ESET servers
    - the content of the mirror folder if updating from a local mirror
    - a Process Monitor (PML) log from the moment of a failing update
    All the logs need to be created at the same time so that we can find correlations between them.

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

ahem - there is a screenshot of it posted there https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1776891&postcount=21 (first one) or go directly here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=223082&d=1288634044. also this user reporting https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1777083&postcount=9

if Eset does not have a clue of what is going on with their software then how the user is supposed to? Constantly running a screen capture video and wait for the command line interface to get invoked is not viable , you sure will agree.

concur it is unusual, but it actually happened, whether it should or not. you still want that folder content though the update is working again now?

7. Mister Natural

Well I just got another compiler error and have uploaded the event log to eset. Strange thing is this time nothing showed up in the log when the error originally occurred. After waiting an hour I did a manual update and then the compiler error showed up in the log. I'm not seeing any extra information with the log set to diagnostic report. I'm not holding my breath on this and honestly patience is beginning to wear. I've had this thread going for a month and still no clues.

I've decided to start experimenting on my own a little since we seem to be making no progress here. I thought since this is only occurring on Windows 7 machines I decided to turn off the UAC feature for a while and see how it goes. I normally have it set to the highest setting.

Also want to add that it appears the issue at least for me is pulling updates from the eras server. When I had changed the update setting to automatic the compiler errors completely disappeared on one machine and is still error free. My work machine was nearly the same. The compiler errors only returned when I changed the update setting back to updating from eras server.

8. Mister Natural

Turning off UAC did not prevent the problem. I PM'ed Marcos and suggested they remote access my machine but I haven't heard back, so I assume he must be gone for the day.

9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

whilst it updated ok once in between the update process is getting now

Undocumented serious error (0x101a) - looking up the forum there are quite a few threads about this and the compiler error - please Eset when are you going to get this fixed once and for all?

Provided all requested diagnostic data to Eset earlier - no response on the matter...

03-11-2010 21-23-48.png

10. vtol

vtol Registered Member

cleared the update cache, rebooted, virus signature database updated to 5589 and since then the undocumented serious errors is persistent, yet is does not show in the log anymore.

11. Mister Natural

The problem I have is my event log is not reporting those number codes even though it is set to "diagnostic records". I know Marcos wanted those number codes so hopefully your log will be helpful.
    I've rebooted this morning so things are normal again for now until the error returns.

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

seen the same, cleaned the logs, rebooted - after which the diagnostics started to show. also seems that logs are sort of lagging by 10 minutes after the actual events

13. Mister Natural

Well I tried twice to clear logs and reboot but number codes are not showing up in my event log. Got another compiler error today also and never showed up in the log. All I can do at this point is report an observation from yesterday.

After getting the error yesterday I cleared the cache, rebooted, then I opened the update window and performed a manual update. All files downloaded properly from the eras mirror, but as the installation process began the compiler error occurred again. So I'm pulling all the files properly, the error is occurring when the actual update process begins after all the files are downloaded.

Don't know what else to do at this point. I've done everything they've requested and my event log is not working properly. I've got around 6 months left on this current license and I'll be adding more Windows 7 machines to the network during that time. If the issue persists I'll be forced to look at other AV solutions when the time comes. It appears my only fix for now is to pull updates from the internet and not use the eras mirror. Makes little sense to me though if all files are getting downloaded from the mirror. One thing for sure I'm not going to have an entire office of Windows 7 machines pulling updates from the internet.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  14. vtol

vtol Registered Member

looks like Eset silent night

meantime cleared the cache, rebooted, updated to Virus signature database: 5591. will see how this continues

15. Mister Natural

vtol, you're pulling updates from the internet, right? Not pulling from a mirror in house? Reason I ask is I know my eras server and console is behind by one version. It occurred to me a day ago or so that maybe I should update the eras to the current version.

16. vtol

vtol Registered Member

correct

17. Mister Natural

Hmmm, that's really odd. I'm having the issue when pulling updates from eras and you're having the problem getting the update from internet. The other Win 7 machine in my office has not had one compiler error since I changed the update to "automatic" which has been a month or so now.

I just got through looking over my windows event viewer logs and no clues in that either. Guess I'm done here. I've not heard anything from eset. Very disappointing. If I ever figure it out I'll update the thread but not looking good.

18. vtol

vtol Registered Member

there are various threads in this forum about this whole issue since a long time, however Eset never acknowledged any error on their side, always claiming that they could not figure out the cause from the diagnostic data provided by those impacted.

although there is some belief that the matter stems from corrupted module updates on the Eset servers - which are numerous, yet it is hard to prove that as Eset being the master of their server infrastructure. could be also the internet connection of the Eset update servers corrupting data during the download.
    Pointing to that conclusion is the circumstance that it happens out of the blue and often cures the same. also that clearing the update cache sometimes cures the problem points to corrupted updates. another thing is that it often gets experienced simultaneously by different users, running different OS, hardware and being on different networks.

I would think that your server either got unlucky and pulled a corrupted module update from Eset and then had a hard time to get rid of it and distributing such corrupted module to the network machines or the module got corrupted somewhere inside your network.
    Still the problem is how NOD is dealing with such corruption and to discard them or get rid of, notwithstanding to prevent the delivery of corrupted modules in the first place.
    yet Eset remains tight lipped, if not silent - and I do concur this being disappointing.

the NOD update module has not been updated for a year by now, quite curious considering the problems reported.

19. Marcos

I, for one, have no clue why no diagnostic information is logged. Waiting for hints from the developers.

20. vtol

vtol Registered Member

that is a start but a minor issue in the whole scenario, which is long known to Eset and still happens.

do you have clue of how Eset is preventing corrupted modules being delivered or NOD discarding them or getting rid of? that is what is not working in the first place, but kept being ignored...

21. Marcos

ESET has never distributed corrupted modules. What's more, corrupted modules or modules that have been tempered with would never succeed to install. It is known what the error you're referring to means but the cause is not known yet. There's no common pattern nor have we been able to reproduce it which is crucial for debugging.

22. vtol

vtol Registered Member

that benefit of the doubt has worn out by all the threads on the subject in this forum.

of course not, that is what is causing the error as they are attempted to be installed but not succeed. and NOD cannot get rid of them properly either.

despite all the errors reported the NOD update module has not been updated for more than a year by now - why not? and please don't say the module is working well, as it obviously does not - don't make me list every topic on the matter.

23. Mister Natural

Giving that consideration I've just cleared the update cache on the eras mirror and then also on my pc. I guess we'll see what happens there....

Only question is why would this only affect the Windows 7 machines? I have nearly 100 Windows XP and 5 servers (2003) pulling updates from the eras mirror and never a problem with those systems.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  24. vtol

vtol Registered Member

not sure, you would need to dig into the respective forum posts covering the matter

25. Mister Natural

Thought I'd mention since clearing the update cache on the eras mirror last Friday I have not received any more compiler errors on my pc. (knock wood)

When I get a chance I'm going to change the other system back to pull updates from eras mirror and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.