Windows 7 general compiler error again

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mister Natural, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I know there are other threads and discussions on this. I'm wondering if anyone has discovered what is causing this.

I only have 2 windows 7 x86 systems on my network right now. My system and another guy in the office. They retrieve updates from an eras system along with all the other systems which are winxp and server 2003 machines. My win7 system has been on the network for quite a while, since the first of the year or so and there never was a problem until about 2 weeks ago when the compiler errors began during updates.

The other guy started with the compiler errors very shortly after I put the machine on the network which has been a few months now. I did run the eset removal tool on his system and re-installed, but the problem still occurs.

This occurs on both systems about once a week. Clearing the cache and a reboot fixes it, but I can't have this going on all the time.

I need to get this fixed cause I don't want to start putting a bunch of Win7 machines on the network and having this issue with all of them. These are new dell optiplex machines in an active directory network.
    Anyone get an answer from Eset on what causes this?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the computer in question update from ESET's servers or from a local mirror? If the latter, is update downloaded fine when you set the update server to automatic selection (Choose automatically)?

3. Mister Natural

I will change my system to "automatic" and see if this corrects the issue. This may take a week or so to see if it is successful. However I would not want an entire office of windows 7 machines downloading updates from the internet should this prove to correct the problem.

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

We have 100+ machines downloading from the internet, we haven't bothered with a mirror. The size of the update files is fairly trivial compared to the normal day to day internet activity of users. It's probably not worth worrying about IMHO.

Jim

5. Marcos

Still, it's better to update from a mirror as you can easily control the update and stop it in a second if a problem occurs (which, we all hope, will never do again and do our best to prevent problems from occurring).

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Unless of course the problem is in "update -1" like last time :)

I agree, it does make sense to have a mirror, we just haven't seen the need.

But anyway, I've taken this off-topic....guilty.

Jim

7. Mister Natural

I've changed both systems to update automatically from the internet now and not from the mirror. It may take a week or so to see if this works. But my question is what's the next step if I determine the errors occur when connecting to the mirror?

8. Marcos

If the problem occurs again, we'll need your mirror content for perusal. Most likely it contains an older component than the one already present in EAV installations on the clients.
    Let me know if you are able to reproduce the problem when updating from ESET update servers. If it works fine, I'll send you instructions for uploading the mirror content.

9. Mister Natural

I can say the mirror is still downloading updates for nod v2. I still have one machine running v2 which I plan on upgrading soon. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I will update the thread in a few days.

10. Mister Natural

Well I just got a general compiler error on my pc. It is not pulling updates from the mirror anymore. So what next?

11. Mister Natural

I cleared the update cache, rebooted. Was ok since last post but just now received another compiler error during update.

12. Marcos

Could you please create a ProcMon log as well as Wireshark log with HTTP communication filtered during update, upload the logs somewhere and pm me the links?

13. Mister Natural

14. Mister Natural

Any news on this situation? I PM'ed Marcos the info, then later PM'ed again asking if he downloaded the files. I never heard back. I have removed the downloads for now, hopefully you got them while they were online.

15. Mister Natural

Just wanted to update this thread. I am exchanging PM's with Marcos as we continue to work on the issue. Since changing the update setting to "automatic" from originally updating from a eras mirror the errors have stopped completely on one machine, but mine has error-ed a couple times but reduced considerably. Marcos is asking for more details and I've just changed my pc back to updating from the eras mirror in order to reproduce the problem more quickly. Once the error returns I will be supplying info to Marcos again. If I ever determine the problem I will definitely update this thread with the solution.

16. hilofish

hilofish Registered Member

To resolve this issue I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalled. You could also look to see if there any remnants of other AV programs (Norton and McAfee are notorious about leaving bits behind) as they could be impeding ESET during its updates.

17. Mister Natural

These are brand new systems which have not had any av product previously installed.

Marcos I still have not received another compiler error yet since changing the update back to the eras mirror 3 days ago. Still on hold here waiting for an error.....

18. Temmu

Temmu Registered Member

would be interested to know the outcome.

have about 5 win 7 machines in a mostly xp environment.

no errors, but would like to avoid any as one day we (like everyone else) will have to move to 7.

19. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

We have several machines with Windows 7 32 and 64 bit that have never received this error. These machines connect to ERA 4.0.136 and have been running ever since Windows 7 was available on Technet.

Just to note however, we do not use the HTTP server built into ERA. We had a lot of issues with it and it's very slow. We serve updates via IIS 7 on Windows 2008 Server. The ESET KB to setup IIS as the update mirror is here.

20. vtol

vtol Registered Member

just (11.47 hrs UTC) getting the compiler error with Eset update server / WIN7 64bit / NOD 4.2.64.12

Virus signature database: 5580 (20101031)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1292 (2010102:cool:
    Advanced heuristics module: 1114 (20100827)
    Archive support module: 1122 (20100826)
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1022 (20100812)
    SysInspector module: 1217 (20100907)
    Self-defense support module : 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

21. vtol

vtol Registered Member

why NOD is invoking the command line interface now?

01-11-2010 18-48-02.png

22. Mister Natural

I finally got another compiler error. Marcos I sent you a PM with requested info. Let's hope we can get to the bottom of this now.

vtol you should go into advanced setup/ update/ and click the clear cache button, then reboot. NOD should update properly again after doing that.

23. vtol

vtol Registered Member

thanks, I am aware of that and tried, but it did not heal the issue. this usually happens when NOD downloaded a corrupt update from the Eset server, something which was brought up already a few times but still keeps on happening. still would like to know why the command line interface gets invoked?

24. Mister Natural

That appears to be a normal function of windows 7. Since your AV is out of date, NOD32 is attempting to run a warning which must first be allowed to run by UAC in windows 7. UAC is asking if you want to allow the NOD32 warning to run.

Try going directly to C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles and delete everything in that directory. Then try a reboot.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  25. vtol

vtol Registered Member

the warning I am getting anyway, without the command lines interface, hence the question why it is invoked. and I have UAC even off...

that is the same as clearing the update cache

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.