Windows 7 Firewall vs Outpost Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by EightOneEight, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EightOneEight

EightOneEight Registered Member

I apologize in advance for the "cheezy" thread.

The Windows 7 Firewall with the Firewall Control add-on seems fairly solid. On the other hand, so does Outpost Pro. I saw Stem's advanced tutorial and it got me thinking more about the Windows 7 Firewall capabilities. Has anyone tested this?

Remember, the Outpost 50% ($19.97 1/yr or $49.97/3PC - lifetime) ends today.

Oh, this is for a laptop running Windows 7 64 bit.

2. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

If you are behind a router firewall the firewall in Windows 7 is good enough, especially when you configure it properly. If you are not or you do a lot of traveling and use Public Wifis and the likes it is good to have a firewall with more advanced ways of securing your PC ( such as Outpost ).

That Windows 7 Firewall control app is also extremely annoying to use and setup, I found, when compared to just about every other firewall out there.

3. EightOneEight

I tried the Outpost Pro 7 demo and was impressed enough to buy it. The GUI is consistent, and there is the possibility of being dangerous. The CPU usage seems to be nice on my Core Duo 2 laptop, and it plays nicely with G-Data IS 2011 with the Firewall/Web Phishing/Spam Protection disabled.

It detected G-Data AV as an incompatible application during setup, but I don't see how that affected anything. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

4. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

get outpost pro firewall
    you cant go wrong just keeps getting better with every new version
    i have had it for a year or longer with lifetime license for three computers never had a problem love it

5. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Same here.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Windows 7 Firewall with the Firewall Control add-on (Windows 7 Firewall Control 3.5 x86/x64) is good protection, if configured properly. It hides your computer from intruders just like commercial FW. The only thing it does not have is intrusion detection. Try Outpost Firewall free version too.

7. EightOneEight

You guys are late, I bought it last week and absolutely love it! When I purchased it, I was unaware that it blocks keyloggers too.

The configuration options are a nice combination of safe and dangerous, and I love the small footprint, yet aggressive response.

The only negative is that I had to remove G-Data from my setup as the two did not play nicely together.

I can't believe that I was even comparing this with the Windows 7 Firewall and that Control add-on.

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you have understood that both uses WFP but the rest is independent?
    WinWall and W7FC are only GUIs for WFP, no more. Each one has its own settings.
    The WinWall is built-in and for free. Another "addon" for the WinWall - which
    use same settings as Winwall is -> "Windows Firewall Control" (no "7" in it),
    latest version IMO 1.6.

HTH

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

WFP. Yes I know. Windows 7 Firewall Control 3.5 x86/x64 is to facilitate application rule creation (manually allow/deny applications). Other way to create rule is via advanced settings/gpedit (not easy for novice user).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.