Windows 7 Firewall - Outbound Notifications

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by adam777, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

Hello all,
    It's been ages since I last been here, but here I am:)
    I was wondering what would be the easiest way of getting some sort of outbound notifications for the windows 7 firewall.
    It doesn't have to be proper notifications, as in the inbound built-in notifications, a "packet blocked" notifications should be just fine.
    I tried setting up the windows 7 equivalent for https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1718232&postcount=142, but could not get any events to pop up anywhere in the events viewer.
    Has anyone successfully manage to apply the above to windows 7 (x64, if it matters)?
    A simple, 3rd party program would also be welcome, I really need just outbound notifications, nothing else, happy with the Windows built-in firewall.
    Thank, Adam.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i guess there is no option for that - IMO is there only default allow/default block.

3rd party
    - Windows 7 Firewall control (free&paid)
    - pctools firewall (free)
    - any other sophisticated firewall (Emsisoft, Agnitum...)

3. adam777

Thanks, Brummelchen.
    I skipped Windows 7 Firewall Control, as the free version does not protect the "system area", which seems crippled for no reason to me.
    PC Tools firewall seems like an interesting option (have used it some years ago), but I help me understand this.
    It states that it uses the Windows Filtering Platform as the basis for its network drivers, does that mean that the firewall is, in a way, a glorified version of the built-in firewall, both using the same basic packet analysis interface?
    If so, that might be a very nice option, as I tend to prefer not using any 3rd party kernel code.
    Thank again, Adam.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

WFP and hooking at kernel can happen at the same time. So, a firewall can use native windows 7 WFP but still hook at kernel level with its own drivers.

Some firewall use native WFP (e.g ZA and others), many still uses XP coding. Using native WFP (API for third party firewall in windows 7) has some advantages (integration, compatibility, etc) but disadvatages (you have to fight with the many bugs in it).

Hopefully WIN7 SP1 will fix many of them reducing the typical BSOD and issues that some users are currently facing...

5. sparviero

sparviero Registered Member

Stay with Windows 7 Firewall and get tranquility of your life back.

Read more carefully from here on: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750&page=6

The same goes for antivirus/malware software, stay with Microsoft Security Essentials, everything else (3rd party program) and just stupid business ideas.

I hope that this forum still attending wat0114, he can help you better configure your Windows 7 Firewall .

He is very sharp. :D :D

I wish you a beautiful day...

6. adam777

Well, seems like windows firewall for the time being.
    I'll search TechNet regarding the logging thing.
    Thank you all and have a nice week :)

7. zip

zip Registered Member

adam777,

Windows 7 Firewall Control adds outbound control.

The Windows 7 Firewall protects the "system area".

The Windows 7 Firewall plus Windows 7 Firewall Control gives you the protection you need.

They run together just fine.

Check the link in Heimdall's post.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

From what I understand the free version of Windows firewall Control simply allows complete network access for all system processes.

From the WFC FAQ
    There is a discussion about it here:

VistaFirewallControl vs. Windows built-in firewall.

9. zip

zip Registered Member

One thing I really like about Windows 7 Firewall Control Free is it stops

AskToolbar from sneaking into my computer!!! It stops it cold & hard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.