Windows 7 Firewall Issue

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whitedragon551, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Im actually having an issue currently with the Win 7 firewall and my bittorrent client, uTorrent.

uTorrent reports that its not connectible due to a router or NAT error. Although I am still getting traffic through from AIX (BF2 Mod). The speedguide to test if the port is forwarded properly reports that the port does not appear to be open. I have allowed uTorrent both in inbound and outbound traffic and I have allowed it on Private and Public connections and still no change in status. Any clues on this?

I have completely uninstalled Windows 7 Firewall control and completely turned off the Windows 7 Firewall all together after I reset its options back to default. With it off uTorrent still reports that the port is not open. I have a firewall on my router, but I have it set to be turned off.

Any idea on where to start trouble shooting? Its actually quite bothersome knowing that my firewall is messing up.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

3. whitedragon551

Its a 2Wire 2701HG-B DSL modem from ATT for their DSL service.

It doesnt have an option for UPnP. NAT is off as well as the modem firewall.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, it wasn't that easy because I hardly ever use torrent apps, but I figured out what I had to do to successfully forward a port through my router and Windows 7 fw.

The port I chose in uTorrent: 55874 (disable "Randomize port each start")

Normally I have only Win 7's Public Profile as "Active"

However, I had to also enable the Private Profile as Active

I have two Win 7 fw rules allowing all inbound to uTorrent using "Edge Traversal".

I did not need to enable UPnP in my router. although it's possible that may have also worked without the need to port forward.

Please check screenshots for info..

Attached Files:

5. whitedragon551

I did a hard reset on the modem and its still a no go without the Windows 7 Firewall on.

6. whitedragon551

Wait how do you get both profiles active?

In my Win7 Firewall the private profile is active.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If it's a no go with the firewall off, then your router is blocking/ port is not forwarded.

See the screenshot. I do have another network connection listed as "Unidentified network" which is for my VirtualBox adapter.

Then it should be okay. Active profile should be all that's necessary. Anyway, if you are still unsuccessful with the fw off, then the router is not set up right and it's not a Win fw problem.

Attached Files:

8. whitedragon551

I have it figured out I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.