Windows 7 Defragger?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PC__Gamer, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Hey guys,

which is the one that actually speeds up performance of a machine?

i only know the big-named ones like PerfectDisk 10 and Diskeeper 2010, & PD10 is the one im currently trialling.

its ok to say, 'that one completed it quickly' or 'that one has a really nice interface', or 'that one has some fancy named features' but which of the many that im sure are out-there, actually speed up computer performance, boot times etc etc?

it has to work on W7 x64 by the way....

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Puran defrag improved my boot time with my Vista desktop for whatever that's worth.

3. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I don't know. A lot of them claim to speed it up but Puran is the only shareware defragger i've used and I thought it did a great job. I'm using My Defrag (JK Defrag) and its free and I feel like it does as good a job as Puran did.

4. PC__Gamer

lol, its very difficult to find one that stands out isnt it? o_O

5. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

yeah thats why I haven't felt like putting down money yet, I know you can find at least two extensive forums on the subject though. One on Ultimate defrag and a decent one on Puran I believe. You might search for them in the forum and that might help you out some.

6. PC__Gamer

yes, UD is another one i like, but no version for windows 7 x64,

im still waiting for v3.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Auslogics has worked flawlessly for me, small and free.

8. PC__Gamer

never heard of it, is there any tests or comparisons in performance etc compared to perfectdisk 10 or diskeeper?

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

idk about any tests since i havent really seen many professional defragger tests anyways, but here's ther page http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag all i can say tho is its a very small and nice program that performs well for me, also very simple and straightforward.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

How about Win7's own? It's already there and it works fine. Even has a basic scheduler. Think of the counter forces whenever you install any kind of "optimizing" software; it speeds things up a bit, but then negates it with the extra process(es) it imposes running on your system.

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

12. guest

guest Guest

@ PC__Gamer

MyDefrag is what I use on my Win7 Ultimate x86, and it works very well. It is very small and effective, not only defragmenting all files but also optimizing their locations to the start of the disk. It added a single task on Task Scheduler that defragments and optimizes everything daily - at a time that was specified by me. MyDefrag also is very safe to use, as it uses a default defrag API native of Windows.

The only problem of MyDefrag is that it isn't able to automatically schedule defrags of locked system files, such as boot files.

BTW, if I was going to use a commercial solution, I would chose the one you are trying now, PerfectDisk Pro. The v10 is great and has all the necessary features, but the currently on-going v11 BETA is simply the Great King of all defrags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.