Windows 7 Backup Image on USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by stanr, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanr

stanr Registered Member

When I try to create a backup image on my WD USB 2 hard drive Windows tells me that it can not be done because it is not formatted with NTFS.

How do I go about formatting it correctly?

Thanks,
    Stan

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

FAT32 has a 4 GB file size limit which is why the formatting needs to be NTFS.

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS. There is a discussion here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=295031

Be sure to back up any "Important" Data before making the conversion. There is always a risk of Data Loss when converting file systems. This risk is usually "Very Low". If the USB Hard Drive does not have any Important Data on it, I would just format the USB Hard Drive to NTFS using the Windows built-in Disk Management. I prefer a "Full Format" which may take several hours to complete.

3. stanr

stanr Registered Member

I tried using Macrium but the boot disk didn't see the WD USB drive and after reading the possible solutions I was dazed and confused. I also tried Acronis True Image but on start up the monitor program caused some problems. The built in Win7 image seems the easiest way to go.

I'll move anything that's important and let it do a full format.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.