Windows 7 and Security Apps

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 1000db, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

After trying out Windows I wondered how it will affect the future of pc security applications. 7 being much more secure with an improved firewall with outbound protection, substantially improved restore functions including boot rescue disc creation, and a reduced rights user environment; I am wondering if certain products such as a classical HIPS or fw will be obsolete. It appears that all 7 really needs is a traditional AV/AM (unless WD has improved :thumbd: ) and virtualization. Is this an accurate assessment?

2. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

IMO 3rd party firewalls were irrelevant the second Windows shipped with one. Beyond that it's not Windows 7 that will shake the market but rather Microsoft's free anti-virus offering.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm using Windows 7 RC1 now and I really like it, but I don't know that it's more secure then Vista. Currently I use the built in FW (because that's all there is), Avast, Zemana AL and Winpatrol with it. I will definitely be trying other 3rd party apps as well when they become available. In particular I'm hoping Online Armor will be compatible soon.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, Morro is on the way and in AV Comparatives proactive test, MS One Care scored better than all AV except Avira and that is not that bad. ;)
    I use built in WF, WD and Avira, but look forward to try out Morro as soon as it is out, it should be out along with Windows 7, probably built in as well?!

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

There are already 3 free av offerings. The Microsoft product wont be installed by default (anti-trust issues). What makes it different?

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=19508

Online Armor's firewall wont work for me, though, I have HIPS element working fine *I presume its working alright*

SuperAntiSpyware big time BSOD' me

I will be using Win 7's Firewall. Having skipped Vista and stuck with XP ... Win 7 firewall is a slight step up in its usefulness, but only alongside a 3rd party HIPS with outbound program control. I wont be trusting Windows enough to decide my security completely! Win 7 doesn't give the full outbound warning control I want.

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=security&seqNum=341

7. Creer

Creer Registered Member

On my Windows 7 machine I use DefenseWall and built-in Windows 7 FW with Vista Firewall Control.
    Also i have been thinking about adding to this config Rollback software like Rollback Rx or Eaz-Fix (they are the same).

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't seen Morro yet, but there are issues with the "big 3 free" AV's which hopefully Morro won't suffer from, such as slow update servers (Avira), pop-up ads (Avira and AVG) and peculiar UI (Avast). I currently use Avast since I can deal with the UI and don't mind the registration requirement.

9. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Even though 7 doesn't take snapshots like Rollback Rx or EAZ-FIX the back up functions seem quite superior to previous MS OS's. I think you had mentioned this to me in a different thread which led me to investigate a little. 7 will even even create a rescue disc that can be used to restore the OS if Windows doesn't boot.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes indeed, but i have found that even in Win7 System Protection is quite different in comparison to 3rd party rollback software in this case Rollback Rx/Eaz-Fix.
    Please take a look on this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1481687&postcount=18
    and
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1481785&postcount=20

12. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

The default UAC settings are in fact less secure. Because Microsoft doesn't consider UAC a security boundary it can be bypassed by malware which takes it into account. You can up the UAC levels to remove this threat.

It's by Microsoft, no limitations, no trial keys, no e-mail registration (this is conjecture on my part). If it's not bundled as part of the Live suite I'd be surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.