Windows 7 and Homegroups

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Raker65, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raker65

Raker65 Registered Member

Hello,

I haven't seen this question yet, but if I missed it I apologize in advance. I installed Windows 7 yesterday on my three PCs at home. It was a purchased copy, so its the official release from Thursday. I did a clean install, reformatting, and as needed resetting, partitions before installing Win7. After completing the installs I then installed ESET, which I also purchased yesterday.

I have the ESET settings at the default, no modifications. I allowed sharing on all the PCs during the install, so my trusted zone is within the IP range for my home network. I can see all three machines in the network group. I set up a homegroup on the "primary" PC. When I go to the other computers I can see the ability to join a home group. My problem is the PCs trying to join just never seem to connect.

I'm obviously missing something, and will admit I'm no network guru, but I've got to think this shouldn't be this difficult.

All help is greatly appreciated.

If it helps the version of ESET is 4.0.467.0. All updates have been applied.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An update to the Firewall Module with compatibility improvements for Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista is finishing up testing. You can obtain a copy of it now by following these steps:
    • Right-click on the ESET icon in the Notification Area and select Advanced Setup from the context menu which pops up. The Advanced Setup window will appear.
    • In the Advanced Setup window, select Update from the left navigation pane.
    • In the right pane, click on the Setup button to open the Advanced Setup window.
    • In the Advanced Setup window, select (check) the Enable pre-release updates option. (NOTE: This was named Enable test mode in previous versions)
    After saving the changes, your copy of ESET Smart Security will download the new Firewall Module the next time an update is performed. This new module should be compatible with your Windows 7 homegroup.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Raker65

Raker65 Registered Member

Aryeh,

Thank you for the quick, clean, and accurate response. I set up all three computers as directed, rebooted them all, and was able to get all three talking to each other without any diffuculty.

Having been a life long Norton's person, I have to say I have been impressed with the ESET software and look forward to using it beyond the 2 yrs I'm in for already.

Thanks!
    John

4. wiak

wiak Registered Member

might want to retest vista SP2 32-bit with the firewall 1054, it completely disables internet even when i disable eset firewall and everything o_O

uninstall 4.0.467+1054 = internet back

Smart Security 4.0.467+1054, Vista SP2 32-bit, Atheroes AR5009 11n Wireless

its related to the driver/service i think its not playing ball, and yes i have tryd the no internet things in kb

now am running Smart Security 3.0 and it works flawlessly, meybe check out that code? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.