windows 7 and antivirus and firewalls

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by winterlord, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

hello, i have been looking around specificly at comodo andonline armor for firewall programs and for anti-virus nod32 and aver. however i cant seem to find any known goosd antivirus or firewall , that is compatable with windows 7.

iv tried a bunch and no luck. only norton works but i dont really like norton. anyone know of any other reall good programs that will work with windows 7?

thanks

2. BG

BG Registered Member

Just check my sig. No slow down or crashes. :)

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

4. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Why doesn't Comodo work for you?

5. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

can anyone explain to me what this windows 7 firewall control is, i looked and it doesnt explain exactly what it does, is it the firewall from w7? and what are the advantages over normal windows firewall?

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's basically a GUI for the Windows Firewall, makes it easier to use.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Currently I'm using Avast and PrivateFirewall 6.1 on Windows 7 RC1 x86 (32 bit). Both are freeware, and I'm not having any issues with compatibility. Symantec did recently release a build of NIS2009 which is supposed to be Windows 7 compatible. FWIW, I like NIS a lot better then Norton 360.

8. winterlord

i hav'nt tried comodo yet but im about to. i just have tried a bunch of stuff already, and i don't like the stuff that builds up in the registry after trying so many things and dont want to have to instal to much to test it out.

also i use windows 7 x64bit so it's even that5 much harder to find good working programs expecialyy for new software. right now im using norton but before i get rid of it im tryin to figure out what would be best. so i come here to see who might of used what for windows 7 and if it works.

9. winterlord

1. ok, thanks BG few questions though will pervx and microsoft essentials really work for keeping your pc safe from viruses. would it do just as good of job as NOD32 or Avira or better?

also on the firewall, i think i want to check out Online Armor or Comodo, assuming if it can get it to work. but will definatly look into privatefirewall.

2.and one last question. would running microsoft essentials and Pervx conflic with each other if it found a virus? i know it use to be you could only have one virus scanner running at one time or it would miss viruses, or at least that is what iv always thought?

and as far as programs slowing down a pc, im not to worried about that given i have a core i7 prossecor :D but im always willing to sacrafice speed for security. i don't need to go overbaord just been awhile since i researech security protection tools.

3. oh and one last thing what is best to scan for rootkits? will pervx cover it.
    iv used unhackmenow , but on start-up it seems like its warning me for 15 files that so far seem to be windows 7 files.

10. ako

ako Registered Member

I use now only DW, Prevx and Winpatrol:

Vista Laptop: Defencewall, Prevx, Winpatrol Plus, Windows defender+firewall+UAC+LUA+DEP

XP workstation: Defencewall personal firewall 3.0 (beta), Prevx, Winpatrol Plus

Defencewall personal firewall 3.0 is great!

DW PF 3.0 + Prevx, what a combo! Should be wonderful for Win7 too!

11. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

your asking about x64 rootkits, but im sure i read somewhere that it is immune to rootkits? o_O or atleast untill they produce rootkits that can bypass the kernal patching, if someone more knowledgable can help out here.

12. BG

BG Registered Member

I didn't know DW worked on Win7 64bit?

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

DW doesn't support 64-bit systems so far.

14. BG

BG Registered Member

Ok ...I got mixed up by winterloards other post right below this one. :rolleyes:

15. winterlord

lol, all good bg. iv been posting a bit :D

and hellboy, interesting i hav'nt looked into it much but thats a good question is x64bit immune to rootkits?

definatly somethin id like to find an answer to. for i really like lots of ram.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't know about "immune", but there is a feature in x64 called PatchGuard which theoretically protects the kernel better then the x86 OS. There's a long thread about it here - just search on Patchguard to learn more then you ever wanted to know :)

17. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Patchguard can already be circumvented. But MS also requires that drivers be digitally signed so that makes it difficult for malware writers. Also 64-bit only has a small marketshare right now so its not an attractive target. When it does become an attractive target, there were speculations on this forum that malware writers may use vulnerabilities in drivers in existing products to do their bidding. I dont think there are any rootkits out there in the wild for 64bit, but I may be wrong. It would be nice if someone could clear this for us.

18. winterlord

sounds good will check it out

19. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

With Windows 7, the default firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials will be all you need for bullet-proof security. Lighter is better.

20. Mem

Mem Registered Member

I haven't seen any reports of Vista SP2/Win7 having Patchguard circumvented but at this point in time the Win7 firewall and MSE seem to be the best route to take. When November rolls around you will probably see a lot more possibilities.

21. winterlord

i seen microsoft security essentials but it is in beta and is closed. was all i could find, so theres no way to download it. unless there calling it something else?

22. Mem

Mem Registered Member

23. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The Windows 7 firewall should do - if you need a GUI interface, Windows7 FirewallControl will provide it. The other antivirus/malware solution is Microsoft Security Essentials. Both are free.

24. winterlord

one more thing i want to add to this is, i never felt safe with the notion of free firewall idk just always figured the better products where supported since companies never do stuff for free there is always a cost somewhere or a benifit. like microsoft they give free security partialy in part because they have become huge targets for botnets ect. the botneck that messede alot of there systems up several years back as an example.

moveing on, i have tried outpost firewall and though it seems and looks good, omg is it a nightmare for online subscription based games, and chat clients aka yahoo. need to get rid of it so im still searching for a decent x64bit firewall :)

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

for me Avast is working great on windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.