Windows 7 a Linux Killer .. ha..ha

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You are the one who first suggested that Linux users needed an "attitude adjustment." So don't get all huffy with me. And I haven't seen any "intelligent debate' from you. Only bashing.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Guys,

This is exactly the kind of atmosphere that we need to avoid: ms vs linux wars and such. They bring no joy or help to anyone. I've seen similar threads all over the place ... Wilders is no ordinary forum and we should keep it that way, above the petty bickering and insults you can find on the web.

Forget the fact it's just a spicy intellectual exchange betwen Wilders veterans, what will newcomers or casual readers think when they stumble upon this thread?

On one hand, you have the windows users justifying their os, on the other, you have linux users justifying theirs. And then, when things reach a dead end, it becomes personal and ugly. Linux users are usually quite itchy when someone points out a flaw/failure in their concept, whereas windows users tend to close themselves into a box of familiarity.

This application, that application, market share ... does it really matter? The more options the user has the better. Remember how prices started dropping once AMD hit the market alongside Intel? So a healthy Windows is good for us just as a healthy Linux is. Look at the browsers. We have more and better browsers than ever ... and we enjoy them.

People can claim lots of stuff, games, stability, security, compatibility, familiarity, some will sway toward windows direction, some toward linux. And both will be right. That's the ... paradox, if you will. It's entirely possible that the security aspect that some see in linux is completely irrelevant to another, whereas having office means might be the most important thing to some. And some will say they like games and others will swear by compiz. It all works and it's all true. Trying to negate bits of this equation is plain futile.

Food for thought ...

Mrk

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Good post Mrkvonic :cool: :thumb:

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I second that. :cool:

Acadia

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Geez, being the OP, I am going into hiding and promise to not post topics that
    will bring out this sort of MS vs. Linux bashing again.
    I use both and like both for various reasons. :argh:

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Ahh, but teacher, he started it!!:mad:

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The best way to think about operating systems is like women:
    The more the better :)

Mrk

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Wow, I was reading this thread for the first time and I found myself frowning because of the road it was taking, but Mrk's post was really refreshing.

In the end, Win user will prefer Windows and Linux user prefer Linux... and that's it. I believe every one of us would benefit a lot a learn if we at least try the other OS for a time, but there's no need to try to "force" the other party to use what I prefer.
    If you don't like what I use, that's OK, don't use it; but don't try to force me to use what you use...

Maybe the mods could consider a "no Win vs. Linux" rule, just like the "no vs." rule in the AV section... I wouldn't think this should be necessary here at Wilders, but I've seen a lot of flame wars over countless forums, and I'd hate see Wilders become one of those...

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Definitely:D On the other hand: The older you get, the more stressful they become. Result: One is enough.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Amen to that.... :thumb:

11. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I'm application & functionality driven so I don't give a darn which OS I'm running with:

Games & Desktop - Windowz
    Development - Win & *nix
    Serverstuff - Solaris
    Laptops - Gnu/Linux

Btw, I'm pretty sure Win 7 will be a great OS and a good successor for XP.

/C.

12. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I never questioned whether or not it would be great or a good successor for XP. The question was if it was going to be a "Linux Killer." I tried to explain why that was not going to happen.

If anyone bothered to read the article itself the author's primary slant was that the mobile version of Win 7 would do what XP had not been able to do in replacing Linux in the low end netbook market. I think I successfully debunked that idea.

13. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

BTW. I'll willing to cop to having an "attitude" when it comes to Windows. I don't like monopolies. If Windows succeeds in "killing" Linux on desktops and/or laptop/netbooks it will have a monopoly, for all intents and purposes, in those markets. Mac's are not an alternative for average folks.

So, yes, if you don't support the survival of Linux, you are "part of the problem." And for Linux to survive it has to continue to grow. And I have no doubt that it will.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Strutting around playing cowboy wins you converts? News to me.

15. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Post like this wins them for you? This is a personal attack. I didn't attack anyone. DD

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let's stick with the thread topic, not those posting in it. Thanks in advance....

On topic - the situation unfolding in the netbook market is fairly complex. I recently purchased a netbook and was therefore faced with the XP Home vs Linux question and opted for XP simply for compatibility with my home PC ecosystem (Win based PC's/Laptops/HomeServer).

Right now, pricing isn't a major discriminator in OS choice in this market segment. If it was, I would have opted for Linux. I've used Linux plenty in the past, so it was a known quantity to me.

It will be interesting to see MS's pricing/SKU strategy moving forward. I really don't think moving the OS price point in this market will succeed - there are some low thresholds that they really can't exceed (I'd say it's around $500) and that's the premium end of this market. The main action is going to be well under that price point and you simply can't have the OS sucking up a sizeable fraction of the net price, nor will people really be willing to populate these systems with applications that significantly boost total cost of ownership. Personally, I think Linux can grab this market, but whether that happens depends a lot on netbook vendor support for Linux, making the user experience effectively OS neutral, and being sensitive to the fact that these machines will generally exist in a Windows ecosystem.

Blue

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Big Ubuntu Jaunty Promises

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.