Windows 7 64bit SP1 Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I am using Windows 7 64bit.

I wonder if anyone has any comments about the advantages or disadvantages of NOT installing this update.

I ask this question because I have had a number of issues with it install and I have read of others with problems.

Thanks

Terry

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've not bothered installing it. It doesn't even come up with a checkmark for it on a Win update scan, so I see no point in installing it. The advantage to not installing it, the way I see it, is you avoid potential problems by eliminating all that extra unnecessary overhead included in the SP.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what sort of issues did you have with it originally?

i have installed SP1 on both my computers running windows 7 64bit and havent noticed any problems.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no problems here either with SP1

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No problems or issues here whatsoever... smooth sailing...

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think you'd better install it to ensure future updates from Microsoft. Do make a backup (disk image preferably) beforehand.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The disadvantage of NOT installing the service pack is eventually it will prevent the installation of newer security updates, but I couldn't say when that will become an issue. I'm not aware of any advantages of not installing. It installs quickly and easily. That said it is always a good idea to have a current system image.

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I haven't had any problems. There are no features in this service pack, just a collection of previously released fixes.

But its worthwhile upgrading just to get the latest updates from Microsoft.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I know quite a few people have thought they had a problem with the install and aborted it.

Thing is at some point, on some machines, it seems to 'stick' at one point. If left alone it usually completes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.