Windows 7: 32 bit or 64 bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Your analogy doesn't work. Why? Well 64 bit isn't just twice as large as 32 bit, but it's exponentially bigger. 32 bit = 2^32 while 64 bit = 2^64. Therefore, the jump from 16 bit to 32 bit wasn't anywhere nearly as gigantic as 32 bit to 64 bit.

from Wikipedia:

So it's not the same as going from 16 to 32 bit. The headroom 64 bit offers is vastly more.

2. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

OK.... I ordered a Dell and the cheapest OS it comes with is WIN7 Home Premium 64 bit.

My plan is to upgrade it as soon as I get the machine to th eWin7 "Ultimate" 64 bit since I already have that package and I have not installed it on anything yet.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this "upgrade".

Should it be fairly simple to do it ?

Thanks.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You may like Home Premium.

If you decide to upgrade, back up your system as it comes from the factory to an external drive using the built in backup in Home Premium. Also, create a boot disk while in the backup program.

If you have problems, restore your system.

4. pratzert

ronjor,

Thanks for the tips.....

I'll back it all up and give it a try.

Regards.

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its always best to do a full clean install rather than a backup. Backups cause far to many hassles down the road. Sure they are the quickest way to get the "upgrade", but down the road they have so many hassles that the longer install time you could have spent would have actually saved you time.

6. guest

guest Guest

Some geek reasons to not migrate to 64 bit atm:

First reason: still low [real] popularity.

Software vendors still focus their updates to 32 bit versions and rarely maintain exclusive 64 bit versions. Sadly, we won't see this changing at least until Windows 8 comes in exclusive 64 bit flavors - and even when this happens, I doubt that exclusive 64 bit versions of extra software will become dominant that early.

As for drivers, the 64 bit versions are under constant development, but I still see the 32 bit revisions/updates coming more often too.

Second reason: the memory issue.

I don't need more than 4GB.

As for the usage of RAM, it is dependent on the program, the coding and the program architecture, so a 32 bit program running under 64 bit will use 64 bit libraries + 32 bit libraries and the "32 bits" blocks will be stored in "64 bits" blocks - huge increase to the use of RAM.

Third reason: two Program Files folders and duplicate applications.

Self-explanatory. I don't need this confusion at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  7. pratzert

It seems the camps are divided with a few more people in the 32bit camp.

As I said, my machine comes with the 64bit Win7 Home Premium.

I could start fresh and load the "Ultimate" edition of either 32 or 64 bit flavor.

Hmmm... tough decision.

Or... I could just leave it alone.

But the best time to make any change is when it comes out of the box.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't see that the issue of the "warranty" was mentioned. If you change the OS you may void it, which would be good to know in advance. You will also lose the benefit of having a recovery partition (I think Dell does that now...?) and/or Recovery DVDs. Personally I wouldn't care about the latter since disk imaging is a much better way to go, but impact on the warranty is worth considering.

9. pratzert

Victek123,

More good points.

I don't think it would totally invalidate warranty, but I'm sure they would not honor any sort of software support. But with Dell, that's not an issue anyway as I've never had any technical software support that was worth a dime from them. And I did not order it with any other software other than the mandatory OS.

I didn't think about the recovery partition and that's may be something worth considering. It is a convenience in case of a BSOD. But I guess since the only thing on it other than the OS and some crapware they ship with the machines, I'd be ok.

EXCEPT... I'd have to be sure to back up any and all the various drivers for the hardware.... ie: video drivers, sound card drivers.......

I don't know if Dell ships the units with any backup DVD's of drivers and such.

Then again, maybe it's not worth the hassle as I may not ever need any of the additional enhancements/features of the "Ultimate" Win7 -vs- the Home Premium.

I wonder if an OEM (Dell) factory loaded Win7 has the capability to do the "Anytime Upgrade" ?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I ran across this article today and it made me think of your post. As far as I know there are no duplicates on my 64-bit computer--x64 programs in one and x86 in the other.

Why Does Windows 7 64-bit Need Two Program Files Folders?

The last part of that article is very true:

"Keep in mind that by the time we all make the switch to 64-bit applications, it is likely that talk of 128-bit architectures will force us to go through the whole process again."

That means one day there will have a 128 bit programs folder and a 64 bit one for legacy. o_O

12. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Here in usage would be netbooks, laptops and desktops.

netbooks
    2x Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit for Atom 1C/2T

Older laptops
    3x Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on PIII and AMD Mobile 1C/1T

Newer Laptops
    2x Windows 7 Home Premuim 64-bit AMD X2 Dual Core 2C/2T

Older desktops
    1x Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit AMD X64 1C/1T
    1x Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Intel 1C/1T

Newer Desktops
    3x Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on Quad-Core AMD 4C/4T

There is a huge difference using the 32-bit core then the 64-bit core. There is should be not confusion there. On the Ultimate 64-bit you can run XP 32-bit applications, you have full RDP unlike the Home Premium 64-bit doesn't have full RDP.

The whole thing boils down too this if you have a CPU that is 32/64-bit then use the CPU to it best performance 64-bit with 64-bit OS. If you only got 32-bit OS then 32-bit OS is for you.

The Atom CPU is new here I only had purchased two models one from ACER the other one from ASUS. Both came with Windows XP Home, I use just a simply process and got both to run Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and installed 2GB of RAM. They're quick using GMA Booster, IOBIT Turbo Booster, and doing so the CPU gets very hot but the results it faster system.

My vote is 64-bit for now. Why memory and I/O communication is double that of a 32-bit. PCI-E hardware can use either 32/64-bit drivers. Until 128-bit or greater will replace 64-bit. I won't replace everything until there is a market for 128-bit or higher.

13. pratzert

ronjor,

I cruised around on the Dell forums and finally ran across a post where someone had asked the same question about upgrading a Win7 Home Premium OS on the Dell Desktop to the Win7 Ultimate and the Dell Tech had told them that the Dell Pre-installed is able to utilize the ATU to upgrade using the license key that came with the Win7 Ultimate package.

As I mentioned... I don't have a much faith in the Dell Support team... bit I'll give it a go and see what happens. I guess the worse that can happen is that it won't do the upgrade.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hopefully, you have everything backed up before you try the upgrade.

15. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Are you using the OEM Upgrade?

16. pratzert

I'll be sure to make an image backup. Don't know yet what I'l use, but I have Acronis around here somewhere.

Thanks !

17. pratzert

No, I'll be using a full retail package license key.

Which... according to Dell..... will work.

Regards.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows 7 includes an image backup program and the ability to make a startup disk.
    Start, search, backup.

19. pratzert

GREAT !

Thanks for the heads up... I'll be using that Image program since it's right there.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. pratzert

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

the reasoning in my view is as I have windows 7 x64 I can use any amount of RAM I choose.. up to a maximum of 24GB, but I settled for 12GB DDR 1333Mhz and its majorly extremely FAST!!!!

23. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

There are "gotchas" that you should be aware of when running 32-bit programs on x64 OS, such as folder redirection and registry redirection.

Here are some examples of how issues like these can affect 32-bit programs running on x64 OS:
    a) SpyMe Tools (32-bit program that tracks file and registry changes) - missed a change that I made to a file in \windows\system32. I expected this result, due to file redirection. SpyMe Tools will probably also miss some registry changes due to registry redirection.
    b) HxD (32-bit hex editor) - Windows Explorer context menu for editing files isn't present, because 32-bit shell extensions don't work in 64-bit Windows Explorer. Also, if editing files within \windows\system32, you will experience file redirection issues.

For program compatibility, x86 OS is the better choice currently. I would recommend staying with x86 OS for the next few years if program compatibility concerns are the most important issue to you. That being said, I plan on using x64 OS because I'm willing to find alternative programs when necessary.

24. pratzert

MrBrian,

It sounds like 64 bit may be the way to go, especially if you use a larger amount of memory, but to look for 64 bit programs whenever and wherever possible and stay away from 32bit whenever you can.

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I think one could classify 32-bit programs running on 64-bit systems into one of these three categories:
    a) doesn't work at all
    b) works without any problems for normal usage patterns; most 32-bit programs probably fall into this category
    c) appears to work fine but on closer inspection there are issues due to not having a "complete view" of the 64-bit landscape; some people will mistakenly classify these programs as category b programs

I would guess that most programs in category c are utility programs in which a "more complete view" of the 64-bit landscape is needed. 32-bit programs can be programmed to peer into the 64-bit landscape, but this has to be done explicitly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.