Windows 64-bit edition

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I intend to set a test machine running win64. My questions are:
    Has anyone trialed this one? If so, what are your experiences.
    Can 32-bit softwares run on 64-bit windows?
    What 64-bit softwares are out there?
    How's the win64 in terms of security?
    Can I setup a dual boot system, let's say linux + win64 or xp + win64?
    Thanks
    Mrk

2. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been running this since beta stage and now with the official version on a dual Athlon 64 bit machine, runs just like its older 32bit version except way faster, the 32bit apps all run fine including MS and 3rd party, but the fun begins when you start putting 64bit apps which truly justify the system, Avast runs like a dream, scans fast and no drag, my Visual Studio compiles in way faster than before, many more apps like video editing ones also benefit hugely.

3. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Can you tell me how much is the official version?
    Second, did you try Office, Spybot, Firefox etc...?
    What about dual boot?
    Mrk

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

There are a few ways to get it, but you cannot buy it off the shelf. Keep in mind that you cannot upgrade from an existing 32 bit XP install, only clean install.
    Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Office and Firefox work fine and I have not encountered any real problems with most of my other major apps. I have not used Spybot.

You can still set up a dual boot system.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Thanks.
    About dual boot, which one needs to be installed first, XP 32 or XP 64? Likewise, what about Linux? Same order as 32? First XP, then Linux?
    What about triple boot, 32-bit, 64-bit, Linux, is this the order?
    Thanks again,
    Mrk

6. Shrek

Shrek Guest

The rule is install Windows first before installing Linux...

7. Arup

Arup Guest

I am running Opera, Avast 64bit as well as CHX and Antihook as security apps, also free Ad Aware and Spybot, all work real nice here with XP 64.

8. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Arup, I noticed there is no way to buy this version, only download the three-month trial. Do you know of any other arrangement? Something more permanent?
    Mrk

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Mrkvonic,

If you mean CHX, it is and always will be free for home use, you just have to register to get your serial, registration is free. If you have any problems with it, send me a PM.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A few points anyone considering XP64 should consider:
    • Drivers - all your hardware will need new 64-bit drivers to function so check the availability of these first.
    • Software - while most 32-bit software can run, system-level software (e.g. firewalls, anti-virus) will need a separate 64-bit version. Again, check availability first.
    • Backwards compatibility - 16-bit applications (older Win9x ones mainly) will not run under XP64.
    The real benefits of XP64 will be if you need to have more than 4GB RAM or have 64-bit applications to run. Otherwise, it is best considered by "first adopters" only. The x(perts)64 blog gives a good idea of some of the problems - it seems even Microsoft is not giving it full support yet.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

using google, im sure there are some e-tailers that offer the oem version. i believe newegg has it. and before buying it, i would carefully review some key points that paranoid2000 pointed out.

12. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Thanks guys.
    In regard to drivers, I have a AMD Athlon 64 and all the respectable drivers, so I'm set in terms of hardware. I do not need more than 4Gb, nor do I run any super-heavy applications. Just wanted to make a dual or triple boot to check out the feeling. I downloaded the 3-month trial from microsoft and wondered if there were a full version out there.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.