Windows 2008R2 Change RAID controller

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mredz, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mredz

mredz Registered Member

Hi All,
    I have swapped out a RAID controller. Highpoint to another Highpoint and run P2P adjust from the DB Windows Boot. It seemed to work and I got the server to boot. However the server kept coming up with the setup is preparing windows for first time use screen. So I ran the Registry fix that I usually use for Windows 7 being:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup]
    "SetupType"=dword:00000000
    "SystemSetupInProgress"=dword:00000000
    "SetupPhase"=dword:00000000
    "CmdLine"=""
    "OOBEInProgress"=dword:00000000

Now when the server rebooted I got a blue screen. I am stuck at this point. I have tried to boot from the Windows disk and do a start-up repair no good. I have tried to restore the last known good configuration no good.
    I have tried to do the P2P adjust again no good. Now it seems as so windows can't load the right driver after the initial boot screen for the RAID. When I try a P2P adjust it just says that there are no drivers required and proceeds and I get the same blue screen.

The blue screen states that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Could you please boot from WinPE CD, run File Transfer wizard and save minidump *.dmp file from C:/Windows/minidump to any flash drive (if exists). Post the file here. it may clarify some points.

Did you try to boot in safe mode? (pressing F8 key ono startup) Does it work? If not, on what stage is fails?

3. mredz

mredz Registered Member

Sorry no minidump I just booted the cd and checked and no it doesnt get to safe mode either unfortunately. I just attached the drive back to the old raid card and it booted no problems. I restored the Registry files from the regbackup dir and re-did P2P. The crazy things was it worked for one boot no problems. I then did a reboot and blue screen again. The point where it crashes is on the very first bootup screen of Windows 2008R2. Maybe 1-2 secs after boot. Its as so the RAID driver is not able to load. I'm thinking it maybe a clash with the original drivers from the highpoint raid?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

4. Mech_An

You can try to perform P2P Adjust w\o loading any new drivers. This operation should disable all non-generic drivers (e.g. RAID drivers).

Then use correct driver in P2P.

5. mredz

mredz Registered Member

Ok thanks man I'll give it a go.
    Manual or Automatic?

6. Mech_An

Automatic :)

7. mredz

mredz Registered Member

That's the weird thing after I try an Automatic P2P I can't then reset the 4320 Highpoint driver with another P2P. It just says that there are not critical boot devices that need drivers. It's kind of got me stumped!
    Any thoughts on this...

8. Mech_An

Did you try to boot server after automatic P2P?

Also please try to reboot your PC and run P2P again.

9. mredz

mredz Registered Member

Yes I did a reboot and tried Auto P2P again. It wont let me re-inject the driver. I have no idea why. Perhaps this is a bug? Maybe I should address it with paragon?

10. mredz

mredz Registered Member

Ok If I copy the registry files over the top from a backup I can then re-inject the drivers. Every time I do so it boots once perfectly. The following boot I get a blue screen. Hmm. I'm going to try a fresh install which is painful but this is weird. I'll keep a copy of the drive handy in case anyone has suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.