Windows 2003 System Crash

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by killertofu, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killertofu

killertofu Registered Member

Hi guys, new to Eset and these forums...odd situation:

We used to run Symantec on our Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition File Server. When we transitioned between IT companies, the Symantec software was removed because it was owned by the IT company we used. I have since reworked the server and ensured that no traces of Symantec remain (except for the Backup Exec we use).

Instead of continuing to use Symantec, I was asked to make sure we were using the best available software. After reading many forums, including this one, I decided on Eset.

However, when I installed it on our server to test it out, it crashes the server, randomly. One minute, the server is running fine, the next it is restarting and it asks me to list a reason for the shutdown (o_O elveso_O )

I have tried to reference the system logs but there isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Here are the specs on the server:
    Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 2
    Intel Xeon 3.20GHz, 2GB RAM
    Only installed programs: Backup Exec 10, Firefox, Dell System Array Manager, ESET Antivirus NOD32 installed from eavbe_nt32_enu.msi

I have been reading some of these forums on the subject, but I can't find a hard answer. If this problem persists I will have to abandon Eset and get a refund.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello killertofu,

Are you testing or have you purchased the software? I see two different statements in your post.

3. killertofu

Thank you for replying! I'm excited to get this to work.

I purchased a 10-user 1yr license yesterday. I have an email into support, but they have not responded yet, and when I called today, the guy helping me did not have any new answers. :oops:

4. Manz

Manz Registered Member

hi killertofu ...
    can you log-in into server with safe-mode first and then search the reason on eventlog list. And maybe good way to posting abour couple of evenlog list from your server to here ...

May anyone can help you...

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I guess you will have to exclude any Symantec program . If you still don't have luck with v3 , you can try NOD32 v2.7 , which should work well on your server (after excluding the Symantec files)

6. killertofu

When I go to check the event log, there is nothing that happens when the server crashes. There are some system errors, but I think those are unrelated to ESET, since they don't occur when the system crashes.

Oddly enough, when I checked NOD32 log, it says that the On-demand check is currently running, when it isn't. Does it crash during an On-demand check?

7. killertofu

What is the difference between v3 & v2.7? I don't want to use an inferior product just to make it work...

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd like to bring into your attention that v. 3.0.657 is available for download which includes a fix for problems with certain servers. Please install it and let us know if it actually fixes the issue you're having.

9. broozm

broozm Registered Member

Has anyone tried 3.0.657 on SBS2003 ?

I will wait till it is known to be stable - as I have had too much grief and a very unhappy customer (see
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/...ver/SBS_Small_Business_Server/Q_23416489.html

2.7 is working fine for me on several SBS2003 boxes....

C'mon Eset, we love you, we don't want you turning into Symantec - please TEST your new releases thoroughly! :)

Bruce - New Zealand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.