Windows 2000 cannot browse websites, and DHCP service won't start!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, I was using the Services Tweak guide online (forgot the URL) and set DHCP to "Manual" and for the first time I tried to go online with my win2k box (I am using dialup) it dials up, authenticates, and says that I am successfully connected, I bring Mozilla Firefox up, and it says that http://www.mozilla.org/ cannot be found (The homepage I have it set to) so I try a host of other sites (yahoo, microsofts, msn, hotmail, here) and it all comes up the same, its like I cannot resolve the hosts IP's, I tried a ping on microsoft.com and yahoo.com got a "Unknown Host www.microsoft.com" and "Unknown Host www.yahoo.com" - so I restored the registry from before I messed with the services, still the same problem, go into the services and see that DHCP isn't running, I right click and go to Run I get an error message: "Could not start DHCP client service on local computer. Error 1068 the dependancy service or group failed to start." and, come to think of it I was online before (When I first got the PC) it had Norton System Works 2003 and I uninstalled it, I done a search and found a bunch of stuff relating Norton causing problems like this, but, I still cannot fix it, everything else works on the PC except for the internet! (I can connect, it says I am connected, but NO web pages load). How can I resolve this issue?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Is the DNS Client service running? In case there are other missing service dependencies, you can restore the default win2k service startups per Black Viper.

Nick

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had that problem a while back and that is what was wrong. It couldnt find the DNS address. I had to manually put it back.==Winxp pro

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

if you can ping the ip of the domain, your net connection is fine, and indeed a dns issue.

at command line> ping www.yahoo.com

at command line> ping 66.94.230.50

if the ip works but the domain fails you have your answer (provided the yahoo webservers are up).

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I got it working now, it turns out the dependencies were on the NetBIOS (I used NoShare from GRC.com) and thats what was stopping it, it is all working 100% now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.