windows 2000 built-in firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by snowy, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

I am posting this mainly as educational information..no comments offered......

***What you may not know though is that Windows 2000 has many of these firewall capabilities built in. *****

http://www.brienposey.com/filtering_tcp_ip_packets.htm

## UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THIS BE CONSIDERED AS A MEANS OF NOT EMPLOYING AN ACTUAL WORKING FIREWALL....##

snowman

2. snowy

snowy Guest

*****Windows 2000 packet filtering works by blocking all packets except for the ones that you permit. ****

ok..using this with an application firewall...how/would this enhance security....would it at all........

snowman

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi snowman! Packet filtering that really works combined with any of the truly excellent firewalls available would give you an effective hacking deterrent. Your firewall could kick some butt! I've been looking into getting Win2K as an upgrade (although Hewlett Packard won't assist with it). Anyone else want to comment? ;)

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Prince

oh the amasing world of computers...actually I am not as yet convinced that this can't be applied to win98......just not feeling well enough to mess around with settings right now.......being just a newbes I always need to be verrrrry careful.......

snowman

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

snowman,

Take your time. Get better first. Remember the itsy, bitsy little steps to take? A tip for getting better--find your favorite funny movies and laugh yourself better. It really works! Comics help too. Try www.unitedmedia.com/comics/

I'm thinking of upgrading to Win2K because Win98se will be obselete June, 2003. It would be a definite plus for it to also have a packet filter of some note! Keep us posted as you are able.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Why do you say Win98SE will be obsolete?

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Obsolete in the sense that M$ will no longer support it. No patches or updates etc. NT4.0 too, but maybe not the same date

8. zappa

zappa Registered Member

This is a general comment but how the heck can MS not support patches and or updates on security issues. Aren't there about a billion users of WIN98 they have not converted?

I feel a lawsuit brewing if the supplier of an OS purposefully and negligently fails to supply patches to users who purchased the software under the circumstances it would be supported blah blah blah. That be like shootin fish in a barrel. Can you imagine the size of the class action lawsuit? It'd make the Government action against MS look like chicken feed. Get in line behind me.

Heck, I can still get parts from Chevy for my '63 Vette. Win98 ain't even near that old.

Unreal. I'm just figuring out WIN98 too.

9. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

They are not obligated to support the product past the date of your warrantee expiry. WIN 3.1 is not supported either, nor is DOS.

I own a 1968 Form mustang and no Ford does not make parts for it anymore. Other people do. I seriously doubt Chevy manufactures body parts for a '63 vette either. Just because you can get them doesn't mean Chevy makes them.

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

See this link for the Lifecycle of MS Products:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=1961

11. zappa

zappa Registered Member

RE: MS/$
    1) I understand more now after reading the MS site. I think they might revisit the decision down the road. I think it's a scare tactic to get people to buy new OS. I'd do the same thing then quietly start supporting it for only the most crucial of security fixes. If MS doesn't hopefully someone else will for any die hards out there. Looks like I half to go to a dual boot system. I can't wait to mess that up!!!

Re: The Meat Wagon
    2) Actually I think the after market parts are made in Oh Canada. I can't remember now if Chevy is still making something for the oldies however as a clarification I am buying original old used parts that Chevrolet made that are still pretty close to good as new. However I have a friend who owns a Vette shop and he does the "parts" research for me but I'll ask him for teh heck of it. :D

There are Corvette swap meets all over the place across the US. I bought my '63 at the swap meet here in LA in 1982 from a guy in Bakersfield who bought it from the original owner in Texas. (trivia) At these swap meets one can buy almost every original part or at least get a lead on where it might be. I use to go every time it came around with my other Vette buddies and get a front row spot, pop the hood and walk around and see everyone's beautiful cars. The good ole days...
    Thank goodness too since I've had some very difficult parts to buy break on me. Took me 6 months to find one in particular. I'm scared to drive it as it goes 80 in second gear and you can't putter around in it as everyone wants to race you then all the chicks are trying to get in the front seat which my wife would frown on, lol.

You can get whatever you need for your '68 'Stang at similar swap meets, very nice ride by the way, good work!!

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

third party parts ofcourse! By the same token, a third party may release fixes for win98 if M$ will not. (some already do to get security holes patched faster than M$ does)

I just had to swap out the tranny of my mustang. The guy who did it for me said the oil had not likely EVER been changed in the tranny (yes its auto, but hey just a 289 ci daily driver) The replacement cost me $150 CND with torque converter and flexplate, installed for $100 CDN more. No sweat! The new (to me) tranny was in beautiful shape. Old cars can be cheap to fix. New rag joint (third party) was $15 bucks ;) I still smoke the punks in their little honda civics with a muffler that makes them sound like they are driving a lawnmover (or perhaps a weed-eater). lol The headers that I installed in about 2 hours by myself don't hurt none either. When I first put them on, I started the car up before hooking up the head pipes to the collectors. HOLLY COW!! lol great stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.