Windows 10 Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

About that statistic: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/arch-linux-and-anti-malware.378537/page-2#post-2514348

Exactly :) Even if it's the most secure OS in the world, it can't protect users that e.g. run files named "BritneySpearsNaked" :p In most cases, the security problem sits between the chair and the keyboard.

2. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

Well, there are other statistics showing the same, overall it doesn't matter because I not care about them because they not count 0day or how many of them are unpatched because the user not updated and and and. But I think to say it's more secure without anything is wrong. Win 10 already got more and more updates which makes it almost impossible to attackers to find holes on OS level (well but there are still other holes, humans, social eng., MITM and others). In fact a lot of things changed and I guess most problems could be solved by giving people the correct information it starts with the fact you should not work under linux/windows as root/admin and then both are mostly out-of-the-box 'secure' without everything much else except here and there some checks BEFORE you download/click on something.

People should also not forget that even an hole exist it doesn't mean automatically it's used in the wild. So such stats are more an short overview, for me it shows only that they are at the same level.

BritneySpearsNaked ... :cautious::shifty:

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

At least I can Firejail FF and Libreoffice. The unsettling thing about glibc is that it is likely typical of long-developed core components that people assume are OK (and this is not specific to Linux either), but that it would have been much better if it ran as a bit of sandboxed javascript - it simply doesn't need all the privileges it gets. The kernel has got too big, so you have to assume these faults (this was is 8 years old), and protect with forms of sandboxing.

It's with a wry smile that I note that the exploit on glibc is basically due to IPv6 support - both in DNS and in the clients. Illustrative perhaps of the dangers of supporting something that is irrelevant to most, and a privacy problem in its own right - and now a security problem too....

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@deBoetie True, but most Linux users don't even know Firejail exists. And they shouldn't need to use it for that matter, really; at least if Mr. Linus wants Linux dominating the desktop market. Because most users don't know much about security and will then be unprotected from such attacks. So, IMO, the Kernel should protect the users in the first place.

I mean, grsec is out-of-the-box compatible with most Linux programs, so why won't Linus implement such mitigations by default? :)

Anyway, we're totally off-topic here :argh: Sorry!

5. CHEFKOCH

Permission or not - that not preventing privilege escalation or to load something before the main() starts, mostly shown/used under Android malware. But back to topic, this here is about windows.

From what I know the mentioned telemetry is outdated because already said that there will be in generally no 'telemetry' in e.g. enterprise version which wasn't 100% correct - but as said they will change this with the next bigger update which is coming very soon.

Today another preview (redstone) build was leaked and it shows that the process is still there, a lot of things changed and I'm excited what's coming next, on the other hand I not really need all of this because I will stay on Enterprise anyway but especially for Multi-Device users the small improvements are helpful. For example I complained all the time that there is no Changelog for KB's and now we get one, it's nothing dramatically but anyway it helps.

MS also dropped the support for old Internet Explorer versions which is also a small improvement, the changes are getting fast and that's what I want, an OS directly on the timeline and improved by MS and community (and this is what people 15+ years or longer complained about and now they complaining about that MS want to collect something to improve this and it's still bad ... they not know what they want ... lol ... ).

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I wonder why Windows Update doesn't work when the user chooses the "Security" level of "feedback". Looks like extortion, really :p Correct me if I'm wrong.

And about these "feedback" settings, am I able to select the Security level on Windows 10 Home?

EDIT: And if I change my connection type to Metered, will Windows Update work?

8. CHEFKOCH

Windows Update always work, no matter which level you select. Bits and WUS are not touched -> you can check yourself services.msc (bits/windows update services).

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@ronjor
    thanks ron. good read.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

That's not what the article says, though :(

11. CHEFKOCH

If windows update somehow not works for you, you can try windows updaterminitool which got the ability to work with an offline kb catalog. This also downloads the kb's directly from MS.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If privacy and security are "the same thing", I can discuss Linux vs Windows security as much as I want! I mean if the Windows Store included more than mobile-like apps, like Linux repositories, then we wouldn't have all these users being infected all the time cause they download some executable from who knows where. Actually, you can discuss Linux security all you want here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-hardened-linux-thread.379114/

Back on topic, I tried O&O ShutUp10 and a custom HOSTS file. The former seemed to work fine after I tailor it to my preferences, but the latter just caused issues and could easily be bypassed nowadays. At least I happened to learn you could block IPv6 addresses with a HOSTS file from doing that.

13. CHEFKOCH

I think the HOSTS things is a joke, the hosts can be bypassed with dnsiapi.dll anyway and it's not blockable with an ordinary software based firewall. The host also can had changed in meantime because this is since the first day published on MS forums. I doubt that any of these 'spying/telemetry' servers people constantly telling connects to any of them. Hell, yeah, I also saw some hosts which including bing into it - only because the default search engine is set to bing......

I never could myself reproduce these. I doubt that this stops any connection.

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Very good reading! It helps to demystify the situation.

With the exception of these privacy issues, Windows 10 has proven to be very stable and fast, no doubt is a good system, so it is necessary to understand this darker side.

15. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

So, I have a Windows 7 Key. I heard I can install Windows 10 directly and activate it with my Windows 7 Key. However, I don't have a Windows 10 Home installation media. Does such thing exist to the general public? Did Microsoft put an official ISO where people can download Windows 10?

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

17. CHEFKOCH

18. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Oh, I've seen this before. I will have to ask for the help of another member who can get me direct links to the ISO's. I can't download/install the media creation tool because I'm on Linux ATM and I only have one blank DVD-RW, so I must get the ISO link directly.

I'll come back with an explanation of what it is. Hold on.

19. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

From your first link, the two links in that post give me a 403 Forbidden message, same with your second link.

21. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

22. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

That's because they're temporary :)

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

23. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Question: If I install Windows 10 and activate it with my 7 Key, will I be able to install Windows 7 and activate it with it's Key in a later time while not using 10 anymore?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

24. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Well, I never thought I'd say this... but after disabling most of Windows 10 privacy invading things, deleting a few services, and editing a few registry keys, I think I'll give it a try. o_O

25. driekus

driekus Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.