Windows 10 Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 10, 2015.

1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems some malware/ scareware to me.

2. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Microsoft would be nuts to do this. It would kill adoption of Windows 10. How many Mom and Pop users have a "dodgy" copy of some program or another and would be scared silly by a pop-up like this.

Doesn't seem real to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

No. This requires specifically setting up a family account, with separate accounts for parent and child. Most people can't be bothered to even create a standard user account beyond the admin. Not that it's their fault; there has never been any education from MS about the importance of limited accounts and why someone may want more than one account, even if he is the sole person accessing the computer.

Heck, many children today have their own devices and don't need to use mom or dad's computer. I suppose this family account scheme could still work with multiple devices, but that would require another layer of tech savvy.

As for the piracy popup, I'm skeptical. Rigz, did you get to see this for yourself?

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I've already heard about this. It doesn't surprise me a bit. Microsoft has tried this sort of thing before. This is the corporation that developed modern software licensing. They've always tried to come up with mechanisms to enforce it like activation. This is just the latest twist in a long story.

A quick Google search will get you lots of references to this in Windows 10. including the part of the Windows 10 Eula that allows MS to do it.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...1&ved=0CBEQvwVqFQoTCJ3H-4_P7ccCFc0-iAod5rkGLQ

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thought this was interesting. Not new but interesting.
    http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/09/02...icker150908&utm_campaign=newsbox_ticker150908

The truth about Windows 10 spying on almost everything you do
    by Carla on September 2, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
  6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

7. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

Great links and reads chaps!

Especially the one above, we have seen endless times that Ms will happily hand over your full details (ip, files and data etc) to LE but this has only been done on its other services like email, cloud or to quote

"Instead, the Microsoft Services Agreement covers various Microsoft consumer products, websites, and services, including Xbox Live, Store, Microsoft Family, Skype, Bing and MSN, Cortana, Outlook.com, Office services for consumers and so on"

Frankly no one should be using any of the above services anyhow plenty of better more privacy aware open source alternatives and if you do need to use it then use it for normal stuff like online banking.

Still no LE or court cases where MS have handed you over for data on your hard drive, like in one of those links suggested people just spreading fear and paranoia really I noticed some of them are linux users too ;)

Having said all the above, if you can go with linux!

8. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Well, I guess all those tin foil hat wearers are looking even crazier now;)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...oading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-cas

Here's a really great discussion over at MDL (must be member), but there are also some attempts to prevent such a thing from happening. I can post a compiled batch file from the thread and a few of my own additions if need be from the various fixes, but it's worth a read just in general

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...ling-to-Windows-7-PC-s-without-users-consent!

9. Justintime123

Justintime123 Registered Member

This is the first time in Microsoft history that they would do such an idiotic act as to place software on a computer without the express written permission of the owner. I doubt this is even legal.On what authority does MS have the right to invade my computer? Accessing a computer without the express authorization of the user is a crime in most states.

Microsoft downloads Windows 10 on user machines without asking

TheGuardian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

if you kill the right KB's before the download then it doesn't happen. But I also take issue with the concept I have to stand guard on my computer which I paid to use Win7 on to keep this from happening.

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

One night I woke up in the middle of the night and I saw the NIC light on my modem was ON but the computer itself was off, to stop the transmition of data I unpluged the cat 3 plug on the modem. The next day I expanded the quite time( I was using Windows 8.1 Pro at the time) that the computer will accept phone calls or data transmissions. That seemed to put a stop to after hours M$ downloads.

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Where have you been since 9/11?
    In the name of our security the U.S. and European constitutions have been repeatedly ignored, laws have been breached, people have been detained without accusation, many have been tortured, wars were started for no justifiable reason, millions were spied and millions died... many more millions will die yet...

there is no legal any more, welcome to the new normal where being a slave is a privilege.

13. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Unfortunately we've all agreed unknowingly with our EULA. When you go through and you see "we retain the right to yadda yadda yadda and then the word "OTHER" ends the sentence, that is basically includes any and every other situation MS wants, of course without actually plainly presenting it. The word OTHER in contracts and agreements are very shady at best, no matter what field they apply to

14. Justintime123

Yes, but this is different. I noticed a couple years back, that when I turned on my windows program, my windows was updated. I had windows updates turned off. There were no security or recommended update notification by Microsoft at the time. Research came up empty. Event logs showed update activitiy and a monitoring app showed windows ext. in the dll's that no one else had on their systemts. It was very suspicious. I won't go into detail but I was working as a journalist at the time reporting on events in the M.E. My other personal computer had no such updates. Anti-virus, malware, keylogger programs such as TDS killer, Combo-fix, JRT, OTL, Malwarebytes, Gmer etc. came up empty. I discarded the computer.

This time the 'forced' updates by Microsoft to Windows 10 is different. Whereas before you 'owned' the software and Windows 7,8,8.1 will be supported until 2120, Windows 10 is only free the first year, subscription basis afterwards. As it stands now, the current MS model for those that do not qualify will be a specific retail price.

From a PR standpoint this would be a huge blunder for them as this is a complete turn around from previous announcements from MS concerning Windows 10. This unannounced forced update will give the public impression of malcious and devious actions on the part of MS. An image that MS cannot afford to make.

The only reasons that come to mind is the fact that people are not updating to Windows 10 in the volume MS had expected. Their concern is that it could impact shareholders stake in the compnay. The other reason is that they would ordered to by TLS. MS receives a great deal of revenue from government contracts so leverage could be applied from that perspective.

I just want to add an additional note that this could run afowl of EU anti-trust laws. I also believe that the press could be making a mistake as there is a difference between ' forced updates' and 'forced upgrades'. In Microsoft terminology, there is huge a difference between an update vs. an upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Where did you get this from? My understanding was that 10 was a free offering if you took advantage of the offer during this first year, and that once you did, 10 was free for the lifetime of your device. Nowhere have I seen that it's subscription based after this first year of use.

16. Justintime123

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging/
    http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-pricing-after-first-year-remain-up-in-the-air/
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-...-be-offered-paid-subscription-service-1501023
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-much-would-a-windows-10-subscription-cost/

Yes, you are right. There is some confusion among the media concerning subscription base to users who did not qualify since the model for MS other products is moving to a subscription based. However, there were certain features taken out of Windows-10 that users must pay for as mentioned in the Forbes article.
    Microsoft violates European cookie law with forced Windows 10 downloads

"Microsoft violates European cookie law by automatically and silently downloading Windows 10. Windows Update doesn't ask for specific permissions to do this.

The infamous European cookie law, which varies from country to country, goes beyond simply placing tracking cookies. "It also deals with scripts, reading device information, etcetera," says Dutch internet lawyer Arnoud Engelfriet to PCM. He points out that there is an exception for information or data which is needed for the technical operation of a machine."

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

19. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

For those of you who wanted any further reason not to "upgrade" from W7, for users of Applocker, which is available in W7 Ultimate, it is NOT available in the basic OR Pro versions - only Enterprise customers get it. There are a number of business & security features that come with Enterprise that are not available to the retail market (including the laughably named Pro version).
    As someone who uses and values Applocker as a standard business tool, and who is not going down the volume licencing/software assurance rabbit hole, this has just made my future strategy pretty obvious (though it puzzles me what MS are thinking, to discombobulate the SMB sector).
    My money will go into getting good support and configurations for secure Linux systems. Any necessary windows programs will run in a VM, with minimal access to anything.

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

22. imdb

imdb Registered Member

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

24. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Microsoft's situation is getting worse by the second. I honestly hope some "big names" come out in public against it so that people can have a better picture and perhaps chose a better operating system.

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.