Windows 10 Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 10, 2015.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Everybody gets away with most anything these days. Look at FB. Tip of the iceberg, tip of the iceberg.

2. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

https://youtu.be/GLiozMpqV80 Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny. Very interesting listen.
    So glad i didn't jump into MS's fire with this wonderful 'free upgrade'.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Holy shiiiiiiite! Turn on microphone & webcam on any time (Cortana). Keystroke logging, whoopee. Keep, log & backup all files & emails created/accessed. PGP encryption keys, secret questions fn everything.

Sting Lyrics
    "Every Breath You Take"

Every breath you take
    Every move you make
    Every bond you break
    Every step you take
    I'll be watching you

Every single day
    Every word you say
    Every game you play
    Every night you stay
    I'll be watching you

O can't you see
    You belong to me....

Every move you make
    Every vow you break
    Every smile you fake
    Every claim you stake
    I'll be watching you

4. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

LOL..

New world order software for the masses. For your own good of course..:isay:

5. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Just out of interest, I fired up wireshark and windows 10 pro installation in Virtual Box at work.
    Choosed custom installation option where I turned off every #¤T&& knop and choosed local account for installation.
    Let it run till installation finished and then checked and filtered wireshark capture.

And the result? 5- 6 HTTPS encrypted connections to various microsoft servers during install and several attempts to Microsoft azure server.
    Is this normal? o_O

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I see that the Russian Duma has decided that W10 is spyware.
    http://appleapple.top/the-state-dum...ows-10-this-is-a-threat-to-national-security/

LOL And the Oscar goes to !!!

However Governments around the world do need to look at what MS is doing from a Privacy perspective. Turning off most of the intrusive aspects has proven to be not so permanent. MS can turn on anything a user has disabled, e.g. the camera. That means MS can turn on whatever they please even though the user has explicitly made the change. The Govt. uses a lesser version of the Enterprise license, but if they have the privilege of turning off most of the invasive privacy settings only to find out after the fact that MS is turning them on to meet their own needs, then that is not an agreement in good faith.

7. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

Seems rather excessive stuff so suddenly windows 7/8 and 10 are all spyware software and we must all migrate to linux ?!

I recall MS saying a while back if their was any form of an back door within any of their software they would loose there entire customer base the next day.

I would have to imagine if MS were gathering information on all of us, earth would have to be renamed to prison by now!

Naturally not suggesting don't do anything at all, would still do the whole lot! but half this news sound's fud.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One of the problems here is that the trust in MS has taken a serious hit since 10 arrived... and MS hasn't come out once yet to clear the air or to reassure anyone about ANYTHING. So there's that. Of course some of this stuff is probably FUD, but then again, 10 pushes the envelope pretty seriously, so who's to say?

Bottom line: Either you trust MS and use Win, or you don't, and use something else.. I think right now, there is enough doubt surrounding 10 and even 7/8 to make some folks say that they're going to stay away from Win till more concrete info comes out, one way or another.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't know if it'll appease many, but it seems Microsoft recently produced a FAQ to do with Windows 10 and privacy. I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet, but here it is anyway.

I think it's only those people who read forums, like this one, and technology blogs, that may decide to move away from or go back to an earlier version of Windows. Everybody else seems to be carrying on regardless until someone points out what they can change in Settings.

There is the argument Microsoft is being transparent about what is required when using services such as Cortana. One doesn't have to use any of these; in fact, if you have a local account you can't use Cortana, for example. Personally I can't imagine using it with a desktop PC but I can see the appeal with a phone, in much the same way Siri works on an iPhone. Information is being shared in that environment too but, again, one doesn't have to use it.

It is, as you say, down to a level of trust, and I'm sure Microsoft would lose credibility if it wasn't handled properly.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks TonyW, I hadn't seen that particular MS privacy FAQ.

I also agree, it's probably mostly the people on forums that see and discuss the privacy issues, these people (IMO) being perhaps more tech savvy than the average user.

I don't know yet about the trust. Honestly, I can see it either way, from both sides, depending on how I decided to view it. But my instincts tell me to hold off for a while. I do think once the word gets out more about the privacy concerns, that more and more people will start to shun 10. We'll just have to wait and see how it impacts MS and the user, and whether they decided to change anything. But trust is very important. If you can't trust your OS or software, or even if you're not sure if you can, then it's usually probably best and wise not to use it, at least until something changes.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks for the link.

13. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Wow they are getting sneaky now. Windows Defender is picking up my hosts modifications as a security concern. Never had this happen before.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That seems legitimate... after all, it could be malware modifying your hosts file, right?

15. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Agreed, but my question is why it never triggered a positive result before.

16. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And to think I used to be bashed because I always suspected that windows updates did more than the so called patched vulnerabilities. That's why my windows 8 is never been updated a single time from them. I prefer to do my own local updates by applying my own hole sealings and I highly doubt win 10 will ever be on my systems period.

18. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

Thanks that privacy faq from MS is quite an important document and read, I guess MS do not have to go on record or even answer any doubts officially when its written in black and white, but it would be great ! perhaps these reports are attempting to invoke a MS response or an exclusive interview ?

I mean has anyone tried to load a unlicensed/unregistered copy of Windows 10 and try tpb website or a pirated game and does it still work ?!

Have we had any evidence or proof that after 20 years of Windows o/s has anyone gone to court and seen a case where Microsoft worked with LE to show evidence it is this person standing before you......

19. Horrible disgusting spyware!!! No other words can describe this. It acts like spyware without a doubt.

20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

How are privacy settings in Windows 10 different from those in Windows 8? Most settings in privacy settings section seem similar to me. IMO, with new updates coming our way, Windows 7 and Windows 8 will sooner or later have similar privacy exposure as Windows 10.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Consider the source....

24. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Well, that was an experience.

I couldn't read that. Now that's 2 minutes I'll never get back.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  25. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I read it too! Was anyone expecting the article to say ditch 10 because its a spy machine? LOL!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.