Windows 10 Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Microsoft claims Windows 10 EULA that supposedly removes pirated games is about ‘security’
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/21/m...edly-removes-pirated-games-is-about-security/

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I thought this was pretty interesting:
    • Do not rely on the control panel settings for Windows Updates, it is untrustworthy and essentially bogus. Disable the two services - WAUS and BITS ("Windows Automatic Updates Service" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" respectively). And keep them disabled ... permanently.
    • Do not trust updates from Microsoft ... ever ... especially so-called high priority automatic updates. Consider all software from Microsoft to be potential Malware. Use WindizUpdate with Firefox to obtain updates instead, and be sure to carefully research each and every update before deploying.
    • As ever, keep your Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus definitions up to date (although it's likely that third party vendors have exception rules for Windows components, at Microsoft's behest, so do not rely on this either). Use Free Software tools where you can (e.g. packet sniffers, etc.) to determine what exactly the updated software is covertly trying to do. IOW - use extreme caution at all times.
    From the website that you posted http://slated.org/windows_by_stealth_the_updates_you_dont_want

4. caspian

I'm confused about this statement. Does this refer to their email service only? Or files on your computer?
    edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been assuming that they will access anything on your pc, but so far neither MS nor anyone else has actually clarified anything. So at this point, your guess is as good as mine... ;)

6. caspian

Sickening and unbelievable! I guess it's time to start learning Linux.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Windows 10 Checks For Pirate Bay Torrents, Bootleg Games And Hardware Automatically

August 17 2015 7:55 AM EDT
    http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-c...-bootleg-games-hardware-automatically-2056054

Don't plan on using any games or bootleg software downloaded from the Pirate Bay on Windows 10. The End User License Agreement in the new operating system makes it clear that Windows 10 is capable of scanning user machines and prohibiting them from using any services that appear to have been obtained illegally.

Section 7b of Microsoft's Services EULA (under “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms”) warns users that Windows 10 “may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”.......

~ Removed Remarks ~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
  8. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

My pleasure. Its always interesting reading others insight on a matter so thank you for yours. I must admit, operating systems such Qubes as you mention, Papyros, Chromixium are another, all the linux variants etc IMO will play a much more prevalent role in the future. Ill definitely keep a lookout for Qubes, it has alot of potential by the looks of it. I just wonder what will it take for people to jump ship. If all these violations against our privacy are slowly eased into our lives, we are much more accepting to the fact that it is the norm. Sudden chance, we notice and we retaliate. Psychology of human nature.

Regards.

9. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Sorry I should have continued that list, I was trying to make a point and forgot the last couple so I wrote etc..

To add to what I said earlier, Starfish_001 covered these in the article under the "Misc Group Policy settings" Keep in mind that there is nothing that these types of privacy programs can do, that we cannot do via a combination of Powershell, Regedit Cmd/powershell. These programs definitely help to automate these processes however. W10 is still in its early days IMO, no doubt users will discover more tweaks, and some will be made redundant as the first round of OS service packs/major updates come through.

Regards.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Discused already quite a while ago, they say it's only Microsoft software/services. Regardless, another sensationalist title w/o any bearing to facts or findings.

Like, where the heck did they get TPB out of something so vague other than just to set a popular example to spread FUD?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. Win 10 is a privacy nightmare it appears. Not to keen on upgrading if work wants me too. I might ask to roll back to Win 7.

12. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Re: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to"

If you are an Enterprise User, why upgrade to W10 if you are faced with this? @ComputerSaysNo

Does this not violate business ethics?

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It violates every decent thing under the sun from common sense to ethics.

14. Yes it does violate privacy principles and ethics. But what work wants we get sadly. I have zero control over the process of buying/using software.

The only saving grace is that enterprise users can turn off some of the crap. What Microsoft is doing is probably illegal in some countries.

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I think the fox is in the hen house ....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
  16. focus

focus Registered Member

17. focus

focus Registered Member

I agree, changing the easy settings is a good start for most users though. Thanks.

18. focus

focus Registered Member

I would make a pretty good bet that Enterprise users will be excluded.

19. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

In Windows 10, for your privacy, you can block in outbound traffic :

Background Task Host : backgroundtaskhost.exe
    Consolidateur SQM Windows : wsqmcons.exe
    Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry : compattelrunner.exe
    Microsoft Feedback SIUF Deployment Manager Client : dmclient.exe
    Processus hôte pour Tâches Windows : taskhostw.exe
    Search and Cortana application : searchui.exe
    SIH Client : sihclient.exe
    Store : winstore.mobile.exe

System32/rundll32.exe : no.
    Explorer.exe port 80 : yes.
    Explorer.exe port 443 : may be... can be useful.

You can do it in Windows firewall.

20. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Enterprise users get to pay for W10, it's not a free upgrade. So they will have a bigger say in what can run, and what gets transmitted.
    There are also some privacy features which are of interest in W10 in the enterprise edition only, I've been having a quick look at Enterprise Data Protection, which partitions business data from personal seamlessly, including emails, and encrypts the data. Seems to work on certificates, I'll report back when I understand it a bit better. It's described as data containerisation - functionally a bit like what I'd do manually with VMs.

21. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

22. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

After one year W10 is no longer a free upgrade to everyone. Do you believe that a purchased copy of a non-Enterprise license will have the same privileges? I expect not, even though it will be paid for.

In negotiations, the W10 Enterprise end of communications may get more protection as far as their systems are concerned, but once a non-Enterprise user opens up a line of communications through a 'Service', the data capture of both sides will be exposed from the non-protected side. I see no upside for the Enterprise User with this.

I would expect the conversation to eventually get around to how MS will be positioning itself as a 'Service'. They no doubt have a Blueprint of their business plan and have outlined how the company is going to accomplish it. Governments may see this as an opportunity to revisit regulations. MS may find a great deal more responsibility shoved their way as they will be serving the Business Community, the Government and the general public with this vision.

24. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

25. Horrible spyware!!! I can't believe MS thinks it can get away with this kind of stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.