Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    When will you feel comfortable putting it on a production machine?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Probably not until it becomes what they call a "Release Preview", meaning what follows after the Alpha and Beta....

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, when the "release candidate" (beta, whatever) is out and we know it's feature complete. Also, in the past it has sometimes been possible to upgrade that last pre-release to the RTM. That's an incentive IMHO.

4. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

Victek, do you overlay or "upgrade" these various products as opposed to clean installs? I always do clean-installs simply because I don't believe Microsoft is interested in complete cleanups (nor are too many vendors conscientious, either - "if MS doesn't, why should we?"). Pile on. Heavy emphasis on "piles".

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I had a good experience upgrading Vista to Windows 7. I'm actually still using that same install. I believe the secret is good maintenance :)

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

7. guest

guest Guest

It looks like now we can make the window colour all black. If, again, the upgrade will be truly free for 8.1 users I think I will definitely upgrade. Besides, the Ctrl+V CMD is really useful for me. What? I am serious! >=V

8. ChristineBCW

Graf, I think there are laughing folks at MS who are now saying, "Didn't you know the rumors are true? Win9 IS free!"

Win10, though? ha ha...

If MS wants to really have consumers make a massive shift to the new OS, go to the $25-30 price and sell kajillions instead.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

For the Windows 10 Tech Preview to be offered in Windows Update (on "7") you apparently have to download and run a file from the Windows Insider Website. This is from the Winbeta website:

Of course, for Windows 7 users to actually see the Windows Technical Preview as an update in Windows Update, they need to sign up for the Windows Insider Program and download a small file. Still, it's interesting to think how Microsoft will handle this update process when Windows 10 hits retail.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-delivering-windows-10-windows-update-windows-7-users

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can't you just go to their web site and download the ISO and do a clean install? That's what I get when I go there as a linux user.... the opportunity to download an ISO after I sign up for the Insiders thing, etc... I think anyone can just grab the ISO and install it if they want. No need for all the Win Update stuff.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You're correct, it's not necessary to enable the Tech Preview through Windows Update. It's just another upgrade path.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=17462

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just another debacle, like the recent XBox One 24-hour Internet connection.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Why is it a debacle?

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

18. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Yes, because MS has no previous involvement with the NSA so all of us who are sceptical we have absolutely no reason to be and we just suffer from paranoia and promote ludicrous conspiracy theories (as if the Snowden revelations never happened).

Furthermore, if you honestly believe that MS build it's new "telemetry" system (Asimov...but but but it's not the same thing as the Keylogger presented here) just for the Technical Preview then I've got a very nice bridge to sell you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm not naive, I just don't see any point in prejudging Windows 10. Microsoft was upfront about the extent of the data collection in the tech preview, weren't they? I was aware of it and I installed it in a VM just to view the features. When 10 is released we will see if the EULA changes with regard to privacy and we will also see what the security experts say about whether or not it's phoning home. Until then what exactly is there to get upset about?

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Next Steps for Windows 10 by Paul Thurrott.​

21. ChristineBCW

Of course, if any of us believe nice bridge sellers would know what Microsoft or any group does in secret, well... that WOULD be the definition of "naive".

I maintain the Tech Preview is a great way for Microsoft to cheaply, efficiently test this product out on a wide range of platforms and give the efficient feedback they want, in their desired format.

My bigger complaint is, "Since when has Microsoft ever handled reports efficiently? Have they EVER demonstrated an ability to know what they really want?" Their format will exclude some data - for example, it seems unaware of a certified software vendor's updates that didn't receive certification. "Version 1.01 was certified but the update to 1.58 wasn't" - Microsoft's data-collection can't detect that version level.

Privacy is a nice hypothetical issue to ponder at this point but the more serious detraction should be Microsoft's longer history of not knowing what it wants, or what to do with it when it gets it.

22. Nanobot

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...y-into-massive-nsa--fbi-privacy-invasion.html

I'm afraid you are.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

24. Nanobot

On the contrary, it has plenty to do with win 10 considering that it's the last piece of Microsoft's cloud puzzle

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Let's face it, unless you live in a cave you, or are willing to take 'extreme' measures you aren't going to gain full privacy with anything. (yes, even Linux) Protect what matters - passwords, personal documents, etc with extreme privacy protections. But the generalized stuff don't worry about it because you won't likely do anything to prevent it from leaking. You run Windows because it's your only choice.. Not really, but really in most ways.. Gamer? You run windows. Business? You run windows. So do what you can by locking it down, and putting in protective measures, but realize Windows is going to leak like a colander regardless. Then the only method to is control what leaks. By that I mean - encrypt your important stuff, or important drives, and control how it flows by understanding you are basically locking the door of your house that happens to be in a bad neighborhood. You have your locks, your dog, maybe some cameras, but the best thing you can control is what is 'in' the house. The house is your personal, private, and sensitive data..

If I want to do something that I do not want ANYONE to see/hear/know about I load up a CD-Rom based operating system, load up TOR on it, or a VPN w/Proxy Scramble, and do what I need to do, and then toss the CD in a drawer and move on. I guarantee nobody will see what I do, or be able to extract what I do IF I choose to become invisible. But can I function day to day like that? Absolutely not. In the meantime there is my leaky WindowsOS, good luck with my 3-fold Encrypted personal data accessed through that leaky OS!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.