Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hehe LOL. I think he is very serious. I guess you haven't visited the privacy part of Wilders that much yet, do that and you will see how hard some people try to stay anonymous, private, call it what you want:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/categories/privacy-related-topics.39/
    Indeed! :thumb:

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I downloaded the ISO two days ago, THEN read the EULA.
    No Thanks !!!
    Absolutely no way will I ever knowingly give permission to anyone to poke through my OS install and to explore my files for any reason. I don't have material on my computer that would incriminate anyone, but still, the granting of unrestricted access at any time is a terrible idea and way too high a price for correcting bugs. Microsoft claims that the data collection and method for doing so will cease following Beta, but how can we really be sure if MS won't divulge exactly how this data collection takes place ?
    I don't care if this is for diagnostic purposes; it's a truly dangerous action and more encroachment that is not warranted.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That's why you install the a OS on a test machine with no personal data :)
    Mrk

4. guest

guest Guest

mirimir's got a point if you view it from another perspective, actually (it's really good that I have no ideals, so I can accept anyone's logical thoughts without too much problems =V). But yeah, anonymous payments are pointless if we are talking about United States-based multi-billion dollar companies like Microsoft who is making closed-source products which are being used by 99% of the world population.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good review, thank you. Keep working on the self-confidence and assertiveness Mrk :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I can't disprove your claims. However, for anonymous purposes, I mix Bitcoins several times. I plan ahead, mixing over at least several months, using multiple mixing services. I use many independent wallets. And I do all of this through Tor, reached through VPNs and JonDonym. None of the Bitcoins that I'm spending are traceable back to my true name through the blockchain. The trails that I leave through anonymity systems and Bitcoin mixing services would be very hard to follow. Every project gets its own VM, so even targeted malware exploits wouldn't deanonymize me. And I do my best to explain how I do everything, both as a service, and also to create a crowd to better hide in.

Also, just to be clear, I'd only use such anonymous copies of Windows through appropriate chains of anonymity systems.
    Yes, of course I would. But I doubt that they'd have much luck with me. And even if they did, the joke would be on them, because I do all of this as a game, with nothing to hide, except that I like to hide ;)

8. mirimir

Yes, I'm serious. Or at least, I'm seriously playing ;) Anyway, please see my reply to ChristineBCW.
    That's good advice. And in fact, that's exactly what I do. Using my true name, I'm totally open, and only keep stuff private as appropriate for the context. I do indeed "just compartmentalize the crucial things, the things where it's necessary". But those things I compartmentalize very throughly, disassociated with my true name to increasing degree as appropriate. My pseudonyms have pseudonyms ;)
    As I replied to ChristineBCW, I'd only use anonymously-purchased Windows anonymously. Buying for cash at retail would be enough for casual anonymity. Better is buying a used machine with a genuine install disk from a street seller, but there's still a physical link.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree, it's probably the "unified model" that they are excited about. I also agree that Windows is and has always been quite a good OS, except for some annoyances. However, security wise there can still be improved a lot. For example, they could make it easier for security tools to act as hypervisor, and "operating system-level virtualization" would also be nice. :)

I agree, I want to get rid of it completely. In Win 8 you could at least ignore it for the most part. But from what I've seen, in Win 10 you will still get to see the "Metro style" GUI when changing PC settings for example. I also don't want the "Metro screen" to track all apps that I install.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

A quick question just to see how "sharp" the developers team of M$ exactly is:

Is it possible to change tool-tip colors? They "forgot" about this in Win 8.

What happens when you disable the Task Scheduler?

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

No, you can have a local account only. And an outgoing firewall will most likely stop any attempt from Win10 to call home (I tried the latest Comodo Firewall and it has some issues, but it managed to block all calling home from Win10).

What I don't like though is the integration of the Apps engine. I will not use apps, so I would like to see a possibility to disable the apps altogether...

12. Tong

Tong Registered Member

Awesome, thank you. I personally don't mind Windows calling home for updates etc., but I don't want Microsoft to pool lots of additional data about me & my pc into a single MS account.

13. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

I couldn't believe it. I got socially engineered into not reading that with their comment like "This is the most boring step, accept it and move on" or what ever. But when I went back and read their privacy statement I was furious. I am NOT going to test the OS if this is going to remain in it. I hope other people do the same. Microsoft cannot be allowed to continue doing this.

14. mirimir

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

;)

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree such data mining would be normally be unacceptable, but remember that this is in the context of the Technical Preview where MS is trying to really see how well the various features are working. If the policy doesn't revert to something less intrusive when the OS is RTM that's going to be a problem.

16. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

Agreed. Technical Preview. Put it on clean machines, open it up and help everyone for this entire sequence. Or don't bother.

I can't believe how shortsighted some of these writers are. IF you really want to subvert future privacy issues, complaining about THIS level of data-mining is counter-productive! The worst thing some privacy-advocates should do is (1) participate in this preview and (2) complain about the data-mining systems NOW.

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Almost everything will work, but nothing automatic, like Windows or browser updates. The only way to get it back on properly is to re-install OS.
    It disables any logging, so OS will be lightening fast, but over the time, some software might not work as expected, it is just too bothersome.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Run Windows 10 on a stand-alone PC with the least amount of private data possible as MS has not be a forthcoming as they should in data harvesting from you.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but the kernel should be updated , should be faster
    is more fast ?
    did you find some feature worth to try it
    thanks!

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That's all there is to it... Self evident. What's the point to have a sort of beta without the possibility to check on it?

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In terms of speed, it is faster than Vista on the same hardware (which is easily anticipated). I guess it should be faster than Win 8, although I haven't tried it on my Win 8 machine. Brian K should be able to give you an accurate answer as he often installs several OS's on the same computer. As far as features are concerned, to me it is like Win 8 + the hybrid start menu, there are other bits and pieces but nothing to scream about it, for the time being...

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    let's wait for Brian

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Well I have it on a dedicated HP Elitebook, very powerful machine. I left all of the 'gathering' stuff on, and take it to work everyday and plug it in at the NOC and left people play with it. That's my part in testing it, and I hope they gather any needed data to make it better. I'm highly anticipating the public launch of 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.