Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, I put in the new key for the Pro Edition, and it accepted it without a problem. But windows still says it can't activate now, try later, and there is no longer any error code in the error message. I guess I'll just have to wait a while till MS gets things sorted out. Many others are having the same issue from what I've read.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You can install and and run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit version of Windows (most apps are 32 bit anyway). But, as I said there is no way to directly upgrade a 32 bit install of Windows to 64 bit.

3. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

@Lagavulin16 The issue isn't the apps; the issue is that you are changing OS architectures--something an in-place upgrade cannot do.

I'd recommend just cleanly installing everything; there may be 64-bit versions of your apps and not switching to those can cause problems or just be less efficient.

You can't brick your PC with Windows installs/updates.

You need 2GB RAM minimum but I'd say realistically 4GB minimum.

--+--

I've done three 10159 updates from clean 10130 builds. The first one went smoothly and didn't require a key change and it is still activated. The next two still aren't activated, with or without a key change. Windows Feedback app shows nothing; it talks on the network and does nothing--I mean the window is completely blank, no progress dots or anything. Methinks this was a load test and it didn't pass (or something just went horribly wrong).

4. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Still not getting updates after switching to the Fast Ring yesterday... That's it, I'm downloading the ISO.

6. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I had issues for about 24 hours or so with the .esd for 10159 not downloading properly on Fast ring as well this time around. So I downloaded the ISO from winaero.com and used that to upgrade by mounting ISO within Explorer and upgrading that way. I usually prefer clean install but wanted to test it out since I haven't done upgrade since the earlier Insider builds and wanted to see the progress. I will likely do a clean install in a few days anyway, but I like to test and provide feedback when possible.

I have to admit, the upgrade process in 10159 is significantly improved (much faster and cleaner) compared to early Insider builds. I recall years ago when upgrading Windows was rather nightmare-ish and horror stories. They seem to have a very nice upgrade system going now.

7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

To "thump the jukebox", click the "Update" button and immediate after the screen changes, click "Advanced options" and don't touch anything for a few minutes. I had to do this on one of my machines.

http://cdn.omg-facts.com/2014/1/20/0e50a1c8032f903000e3b092145bcfc9.jpg
    Ayyyyyyyy!

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Didn't work for me, but I appreciate the thought :) It's easier to DL the 10159 ISO at this point.

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

I know one can update to Windows 10 through Win 8.1 for free.
    However, i am not sure if its possible to do a clean install W10 instead of updating? Or is it that one has to update first then re-install?

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-turn-your-windows-10-upgrade-into-an-iso/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

12. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I tried my OEM key and KTNPV-KTRK4-3RRR8-39X6W-W44T3, but neither worked with the ISO. Calling Microsoft was futile like I thought, will have to contact my OEM later.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...ld-10159-loses-the-windows-guest-account.html

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Link repaired.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks for fixing the link. Per the article, I really doubt it is a bug. I have NEVER used the guest account an really considered it more of a risk than it was worth.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now if they just had a *nix-like guest account, then it would be useful.

19. quietman

quietman Registered Member

... my edit.

All feedback on this issue is valuable ..... precious even ! ... and it's very much appreciated ....
    so many thanks in anticipation !

I'm hanging back because my " best possible scenario " is to get a W10 iso and a way of registering it without trashing my
    legit W7 Product Key.

So far , I haven't seen a way to to do this .
    I should say that I have rejected all MS Updates that pushed W10 over the past months , so maybe I have missed out on what I want ?

Clue me in somebody .... I beg !
    :)

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to agree that the upgrade process was very smooth and good, no problems. The only glitch I've had is that Win isn't activating, but I saw tons of other posting this also, even in the feedback app searching, so perhaps they'll fix it. But the upgrade itself was flawless...

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. WildByDesign

@Kerodo

Your previous builds of Windows 10 were activating correctly, right?
    On your current build that is not activating correctly, are you using a Microsoft Account that is registered to the Insider program? (not sure if that would be issue or not)

I'm trying to look into other reports of this. You are right, there are many other reports of failed activation with this recent build. So I am trying to look into it more and see if there is a common source of this failure and I will let you know if I find something worthwhile.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-10-preparing-to-upgrade-one-billion-devices/

24. WildByDesign

Interesting quote from the article @ronjor just posted:
    This might refer to the mysterious $2 Pro licence deal that's been getting attention lately. Lots of attention yet zero clarification.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Wild...

Yes, I am using my MS account and I did enter the new serial key also, but it wouldn't activate. I found a solution for this issue here (below link), in case anyone else runs into the same problem. I ran the "slui.exe 4" from a command prompt as discussed, and followed the activation process. I called MS Support at the number listed on the activation dialog, and read my codes to her, she then processed it, and gave me the codes in return to activate. Now it's activated and all is well.

Here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...ed_to_10159_windows_is_not_activated_anymore/

IMO, something didn't go quite right, but if this many people are having this issue, MS should somehow generate a fix for it, instead of everyone having to call etc. I'm impatient, so I called and did it manually. :)

Anyhow, thanks for your help, all is well now. I'll make an image of this setup now so I don't have to go thru that again hopefully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.