Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If there won't be an option to control updates (event through regedit or gpedit) I will probably stay with Win 8.1. In this case I couldn't use SRP and other anti-exe programs could also have problems with this new random system updates.

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thankfully I have Pro on both my machines so presumably I would have the opportunity to set anti-exe's (e.g. AppGuard) to Install mode, but I will cancel my 'reservation' for now. MS definitely have this wrong, after all they are my computers.

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Won't. :)

5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs to the Slow ring
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...preview-build-10130-for-pcs-to-the-slow-ring/

EDIT: Just in case anyone is unfamiliar, the ISOs remain the same between Fast ring and Slow ring. All of the problems that came out during the Fast ring that were resolved with Hotfixes, those hotfixes are not included within the ISO. Those hotfixes come through Windows Update either during upgrade/install (if connected to Internet) or immediately after upgrade/install. 10130 is a pretty decent build especially after these fixes, so it's good to see it finally hitting Slow ring. Hoping for some more Fast ring bits soon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  6. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

From the same poster who answered in the above link that you can't go back, at his/her site, I found this different perspective :

The page subject matter is a feature in technical preview that allows rollback to a previous OS version.

https://techingiteasy.wordpress.com...-previous-version-of-windows-from-windows-10/
    rollback-desktop-3.png

I don't have W10 beta installed so I can't verify this option's existence.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've gond back to Windows 7 for the moment. I was getting audio latency problems with streaming audio, under my clean install Windows 10. I didn't take the time to diagnose the cause, but based on past experiences, I would say it was caused by my wireless adapter. In which case, I could have fixed the issue by switching to a USB wireless adapter. However, Windows 7 works really well, so that was what I opted for.

In time, I may install Windows 10 on another partition and try it with a USB wireless adapter, but, I'm in no rush.

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Microsoft has added advertisements throughout Windows 10 modern apps after recent Store updates to the following apps: Weather, News, Sports, and Money. These ads are littered on every tab of these modern apps now. I will update if I find any more. No wonder they are giving 10 away for free.

9. Kobayashi maru

Kobayashi maru Registered Member

Drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel....
    Does anybody actually use these 'modern apps'? More of a gimic.

It's not free. There are numerous strings attached.

If you're worried about the updates, perhaps manual control might be handy. The updates won't instal if you stop them. The firewall will do it, but the results could be painful regarding permission popups. There will be a way.

Anyway, I guess somebody will come to the rescue.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I don't think they're giving Win 10 away out of the goodness of their hearts.

Data mining anyone?

Edit to include the word don't. :isay:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  11. Kobayashi maru

Kobayashi maru Registered Member

Drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel....
    I think your previous key is made invalid so you can't go back. No need to enter one on subsequent reinstalls of 10, so might be locked to the hard drive in use. If it turns out that way, safest bet is a new HDD before doing anything.

I could be wrong, but the need for a key being dispensed with suggests the activation method is stored on the local machine.

12. quietman

quietman Registered Member

That is a good find above ( #956 ) niki / wshrugged :-

https://techingiteasy.wordpress.com...-previous-version-of-windows-from-windows-10/

...... a built-in system restore to an earlier Windows OS from within W10

If anybody has already tried this , I for one , would really appreciate reading some details.

Also , it is now looking like a W10 iso download is going to be made available .

.....I wonder what license code will be needed to use it ?

For me , this would be the preferred way to go .... as opposed to my alternative strategy ...
    .... totally ignoring / refusing W10 - :)

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The more I read about W10 the more confused I become.

At some point I will upgrade my m/b. Now from what I have read that OEM versions will not be able to do this without purchasing another copy of Win. But non OEM versions will be able to install another m/b since it was tied to the user and not the m/c.

Further confusion is that W7 was the last OEM version for Win. Win 8 was never OEM, so all purchased W8 should be upgradeable and from that can you assume that it would also be able to install an earlier version of Win?

14. niki

niki Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wonder if that also means you can restore an old image, and you will have no issues.

16. cnople

cnople Registered Member

When you upgrade to Win 10 from 8.1, will it keep settings/programs etc, or is it equivelant to a clean fresh install? I don't mind starting from fresh, so could I format and clean install?

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My guess would be that this method is only meant to restore an "upgraded" system (for example, upgrade from 7 to 10), which would then just restore the saved Windows Old directories and so on. It's not clear that a regular restored image would be alright... (ie Macrium or whatever). Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Boy I do like Win 10, but it is getting the Microsleuth treatment.

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, and all that sleuthing is generating a lot of interest....

Can we all say 'Orchestrated' 'Advertising' n' 'Marketing' :isay:

20. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, of course..

21. roger_m

It will keep all your programs and settings. There are a lot of people who prefer to do clean install, but I prefer to do an upgrade and keep all my installed software.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@roger_m ,
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. Perhaps you stopped typing mid-sentence?

23. roger_m

@Krusty13 I started typing a post and didn't finish it, and then it got added to another post. Anyway, what I was going to say was, I think providing Windows 10 for free has a lot to do with getting users to move to a new OS. I you take a look at OS usage statistics at Wikipedia, there are 4 times as many users using Windows 7 than for Windows 8 and 8.1 combined.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah, OK.

That may be the case too, but do we really get anything for free these days?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markets...ure-not-paying-for-it-you-become-the-product/

25. roger_m

@Krusty13 That's true, and they are proably doing it too so that they can increase revenue from the Windows Store due to more people buying apps. Of course there's no money to be made from people like myself who don't use Modern Apps and as such don't use the Windows Store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.