Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems reasonable enough....

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This was the case for all of their operating systems, not only Win 10. If Windows would be impossible to pirate, users would start considering alternatives, and I'm not sure Microsoft wants that.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Nebulus Yes, Microsoft would much rather you used pirated MS software than a competitors software, becase it leads to having a much larger user base for thier products, which means they continue to be the standard. I don't think Microsoft will be doing much to stop piracy of Windows anytime soon.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

In previous Windows, MS used to make money by selling their OS to consumers and they used to do a yearly license with businesses. They did not use to charge third party software developers a percentage for developing software for Windows platform. In that model, each pirated copy was money out of MS's pockets. Therefore they used to do everything humanly possible to discourage pirated Windows.

In this new model with Windows 10, they will charge app developers a percentage for every dollar of money they make from their apps running on Windows 10. The same model that Apple and Google employ. Google for example, takes a percentage of profits from each app sold on Play Store. They also take percentage of ad revenues and in-app purchases made by apps running on Andriod platform. In this business model, you hand the OS for free and it is in your interest to have as many people using the OS as possible, so that the platform looks lucrative to app developers. More people, means more apps, means more percentage money for MS. A pirated Windows 10, will not effect MS's bottom line, in fact, it will do the opposite, it will increase MS profit.

MS will never say this out officially, but in Windows 10 case they do not care about piracy, as it does not effect them.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

JR, I understand all that but please see Post#730 for the reason why MS will not care too much about pirated Windows 10. They of course cannot say that through official channels, but the fact is that they want to make money and the more copies of Windows 10 out there, the more money they will make.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nvidia-releases-first-whql-certified-video-driver-for-windows-10/

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

No, they didn't. All Windows versions are ridiculously easy to pirate. That means that either MS programmers (and management) are incompetent or they don't want users to find alternatives. And frankly, even though my opinion about MS is not exactly a good one, I don't think they have programmers/managers THAT incompetent.

9. roger_m

That's right, and only very occasionally do Microsoft take steps to stop Windows cracks/loaders etc from working.

It's just makes good business sense really. They woudn't like it a lot of users ditched Windows for an alternative like Linux.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Since I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit I should get updated to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit automatically or do I get to select a Windows 10 64 bit version.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

12. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Build 10122 is expected to release today to Fast ring only.

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgrades-wont-be-free-for-everyone-do-you-qualify/

15. roger_m

I'm dowloading the ISO of build 10122 right now. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to the new build to fix some issues I have. Modern apps including Windows Update close as soon as they are opened, and the previous build which Windows Update decides to automatically download and install from time to time fails part way through the install, and my system then gets rolled back to build 10049 again.

There are links to download the ESD and ISO files for build 10122 at Microsoft-News.

16. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Those aren't official ISO's from Microsoft, the site owner has just created the ISO's from the ESD files. Microsoft doesn't release ISO's for fast ring releases, only the slow ring builds get ISO downloads.

Updated to this in vmware workstation through windows update & it messed up some app window borders, Chrome & Firefox had a black line on the left side & it looked like the window was over by a few pixels. Removed & then reinstalled the vmware tools but issue was still there. Probably just a issue with the vmware graphics driver.

17. roger_m

Yes, I'm aware of that.

18. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Ahh k, no problem. Maybe it's just me but I tend to be wary of homemade ISO files :)

19. roger_m

The upgrade failed, so I'm still stuck with a somewhat corrupted install of build 10049. Unlike previous upgrade failures, which failed when the upgrade was well underway, and then rolled back to previous build, in this case the install failed before the first reboot, and there was no need to rollback anything.

20. roger_m

I've never had a problem with ISOs which have not come from official sources. For example I've downloaded Vista ISOs via torrents to do a clean install of Vista (using the product key from the COA not any supplied cracks).

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I updated from build 10074 & the download of it from windows update took ages, not surprising as there would have been a lot of folk getting it. The install did take quite a while & the only issues I could see was the windows border problem with chrome & firefox & when I searched for cleanmgr to remove the old windows install it listed it but clicking it did nothing, had to browse to system32 folder & run it that way.

I used to use them sometimes in the past but stopped when a windows 7 ISO had a hidden keylogger & virus in it, Bitdefender scanned it during the night & had archive scanning on, found out the next day & uploaded the files to virustotal where they were detected by 30 odd scanners. Thankfully this was before I used it to install as my windows 7 disc was badly scratched. Since then I stay away from them.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    do you mean download an operation system iso from torrent?
    should never done , it 's very risky .
    should be download by microsoft or use the hash to compare it

24. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I only rarely used a torrent to get the ISO & only if my original disc was damaged, after that incident mentioned in my post I have stayed away from them :)

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but the hash is always a secure ,isn't it?
    thanks
    w10 will be avaible to download soon via iso from microsoft?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.