Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I like this. Now if we could also set a color for the title bar when the window doesn't have focus instead of it going back to stark white...

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nice find. Thanks.

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but neither cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 and neither Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase don't clean the folders inside c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ ,do they?
    thanks

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No, but it is not recommended to clean it, unless you have problems, but I additionally use WiseCare to get rid of some downloaded updates within that folder. :doubt:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    why?
    if the service is stopped it should not be a problem

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Deleting some downloaded files is not the problem, but resetting config just result in creating a new config, which takes time, delaying updating.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows 10 & Control Panel - Going away?

Controversy, prophecy, drama. And so we have this little article discussing the future of Control Panel in Windows 10 from the perspective of the Darwinian evolutionary model, comparison to the new Settings Menu, real life example, efficiency and productivity factors, other considerations, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-control-panel.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Nice article, thanks. And this perfectly describes IMO MS' biggest mistake in their OS development:
    I wonder how long will it take them to understand this.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks will read it later, but another thing that bugs me is that the stupid Metro style interface looks ugly.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

They will only believe the numbers. IMHO it will have to wait for Windows 10 to be deployed on phones, etc, and for MS to collect enough data to see if the unified UI is working for them. Along these lines is it working for Apple? Based on very limited experience I'd say they have a similar UI on the iPhones and the iMacs. Is that perceived as user friendly and does either the phone or the desktop suffer as a result? It seems to me that MS is going for something similar.

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Agree completely. There is an arrogance on the part of MS in the 'dumbing down' ...
    And stupidity also, as they eliminate a key strength in the market (in their case, more control, customisation). But there are other examples of this - Mozilla, IBM? Maybe its what happens when tech companies are run by accountants :)

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the "dumbing down" is driven by the fact that computers are simply too complex for a great many users. That has been the case from the beginning when the GUI was developed to "dumb down" the command line. Now that computers are perceived as desirable by most everyone the need to simplify the UI has increased to shield people from the overwhelming complexity. Tech companies would make them as simple as toasters if they could :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  15. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I agree.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I should add that I don't think it's working very well. It is a triumph of marketing that computers have come to be perceived as household appliances. Dumbing down the UI only creates the appearance of simplicity. The beast is always rearing its ugly head :ninja: :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I really enjoyed this read. Well put and with great insight.

Your comments on business specifically captured my attention. It is so often ignored on forums. They are the majority of MS customers - small, medium and large scale businesses with varying levels of knowledge and needs - and not all Enterprise licensees. Small and medium sized companies make up the majority of businesses world wide and most do not have IT departments to handle user needs. They are average users who have to deal with computers and smartphones alike. Since the W10FU started rolling out in November, I wondered why any business would be planning to upgrade to W10 for at least 2-3 years. How could they possibly handle all the productivity hits without it affecting their sanity, time management and bottom line.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Hasn't this been the case in the business world with all new versions of Windows, ie late adoption?

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, those problem are usual when new OS is released. But with previous versions they got new OS when they replaced computers or when they took computer to service. Now they get new OS just with few clicks, some of them not even knowing what they are doing and what problems installing new OS can bring. In business environment installing new OS by users themselves is IMO looking for troubles.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed, it's a nightmare scenario for businesses if users have sufficient rights to run the Windows 10 upgrade. Businesses need to use the GWX Control Panel app to lockout undesired upgrades.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...ores-downloads-of-windows-10-november-update/

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

23. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

Microsoft did what they had to do.
    Wise choice.

Just look at this site.

If just one user reports that a setting was not retained during upgrade, then 80 more users rushes to the keyboard to write slanderous posts about Microsoft.
    The majority of those posters are not even on Windows 10, because they are busy clinging on to an ancient edition.

Anyone reading this - take a look at what was written the last 4-5 days at this site, other sites and in the media.

It was four litte settings not being retained !
    Personally I didn't have any issues on any TH2 PCs.
    None of the many I know, that upgraded online or through the ISO, had problems.

But looking at forums, some users made it sound like their PC had exploded.

Mass hysteria. Nothing but the usual mass hysteria.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Martin,

You know I normally agree with most of your posts but for me on two machines it wasn't "four litte settings not being retained", although that is all that caused the latest MCT to be removed and is all that has been reported. I also had applications that I had uninstalled reinstalled and others have reported that Fast Start Up was re-enabled. Thankfully I have disabled Hibernate so I didn't have that issue. Isn't wasn't just "four litte settings not being retained".

Cheers.

25. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

Krusty, if you look at my post you will notice that I was not aiming at you (or Ronjor, that was just the messenger)

My post was aimed at all those, here and elsewhere, that spins every tiny issue into being the end of the world as we know it.

You are around daily. You saw how much speculation and weird stories that popped up, just because MCT was unavailable for a few days.

It's like this with everything.
    At some point you just get fed up with it.

A lot of news medias and forum users are ready to blame Microsoft for everything, including the tide being high.

Such medias/users needs to relax and breathe in a calm and rational way. There's enough tension in the world already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.