Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

@ronjor

Wow, about time. Too bad that had to come with a heaping load of spyware. :(

2. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I keep seeing people posting that W10 isn't free. That people will have to pay for it after a year or so. Is there any proof or links to this claim?

3. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

From: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
    So if you don't upgrade within one year it is not free...

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

No it is not true, Windows 10 is totally free if you downloaded Windows 10 within 1 year your copy will remain free after that means there is no subscription fee after you download Windows 10.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-...-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

5. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Thanks. This is a relief.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Your welcome.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe you're correct; as it stands the offer to upgrade for free is good until (roughly) July 2016. After that presumably people will have to pay, but we'll have to wait and see what actually happens.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

10. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

By Mary Jo Foley,

Will Windows 10's coming security features win over Windows 7 users? | ZDNet

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

My personal view on the Windows updating is that it is in everybody's interest to simply release cumulative updates on Windows 10 and not provide any information on each release.

Look around on every forum.

Everybody thinks they are an super-mighty-extremely-highly-advanced power-user/developer/admin/technology god.

People are cherry-picking updates without ANY clue about what they are doing.

And the results - the very same people that are cherry-picking updates and constantly ranting about all the updates they refuse to install - it's the very same users that are constantly posting about all the problems they have with their OS.

One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to see the connection.

Hopefully Microsoft will continue to roll out updates as cumulative updates, so we have a user base that are all on the latest and safest.

In order for sys admins to stay informed about where in the process their reported bugs are, Microsoft could do it really simple :

1. All Windows 10 updates as cumulative.
    2. Add a extra group to build numbers with a couple of extra digits, and increase these with each update.
    3. Have a change log like everybody else and list the major issues fixed/implemented there, and sys admins can subscribe to that.

Done deal. Move along.

Stop wasting time on home users that are sure they know more then the developers.

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

The ordinary Home user doesn't come to Wilders Security Forums

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I started cherry picking after MS tried to sneak up Windows 10 update on me. Different "telemetry" spyware updates don't give me much confidence in MS updates also.
    I've had no problems so far using my OS.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It should be obvious by now that the trust in MS is almost completely gone. MS should step up and say something to ease everyone's concerns and paranoia about all the updates, telemetry, and privacy issues, or else start to issue complete and full descriptions about each update so people can decide what they want to do with them. This whole situation is pretty dire. There are more and more people simply jumping ship now and moving to alternatives. And yet even a month and a half after 10's release, and after truckloads of privacy concerns, MS still says NOTHING. This is not the way to treat the home user.

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, I guess they figure out since we get it for free, we are not entitle to complain.

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Rubbish, it's after a year that if you buy a copy of Windows 10 then it's NOT FREE.

18. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

A lot of home users should just start being realistic and tone down the drama.

Taking a broader view of the IT landscape, I have to say that I find the hyped paranoia we have seen the last couple of months to be ridiculous because :

When peoples third-party AV, third-party browser or whatever third-party app sends back huge chunks of data and has unlimited access to peoples contacts, mails, text messages, GPS coordinates and everything else - then people praise the genius developers for their insights and are glad to be able to help with information to get bugs fixed and also never raises an eyebrow because of course none of these firms or their partners will ever abuse any of these personal data.

When Microsoft sends back telemetry on how the OS works, the very foundation in the PC that everything else are running on top of - then people bitch and whine and call it spying while they at the same time claim that Microsoft really just have to fix everything without feedback from users.
    Apparently end users believe that Microsoft developers has some magic ability to just sense an error in each unique configuration.

When Apple locks down a system and limits the end users choices, then people praise their wisdom and how this makes daily use safer.

When Microsoft tightens security, then people complain that their freedom are taken away from them.

When Chrome are auto-updated every couple of weeks, then people are thankful that Google takes so good care of everybody and makes sure everybody are on the newest and safest.

When Microsoft auto-updates Windows 10, then peoples paranoia goes in warp speed and they are sure its only done to plant secret backdoors.

When the Android landscape are fragmented in 2145 different editions, then people are outraged that vendors doesn't instantly update every single phone and tablet that are ever made, to the latest flavor.

When Microsoft takes care of its users and makes the upgrade to the latest OS easy and painless, then people say they are playing dirty games.

Bottom line - people LOVE to complain.
    No matter what happens in the Windows ecosystem, then hordes of users find it trendy to post negatively about it.

19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

For most of our existence the privileged and most influential among us believed the masses were inferior. Insisting that the majority of society remain ignorant kept the 'peasants' under control. They had no say and no sway. We still have a class system, though it is no longer just the havenots and the affluent; we have a middle class. If you look at the way MS has defined its OS (especially W10), you see a parallel. The Home Users are seen as the lesser informed and need to be controlled. The Pro Users are considered a more knowledgeable group and are allowed some sway but no say. The Enterprise Users are at the top of the food chain with both say and sway (and there is no doubt a lot of exemptions and special allowances that are private agreements that we never hear about).

MS owns the OS and we merely buy a license to use it, so they have the right to change it whenever and for whatever reason they see fit. It is a 'take it or leave it' EULA, however there is this nonsensical belief that the class of user determines the value of the service. MS does not acknowledge that the value is in the communication and that the benefit is shared. Windows would never have achieved its current level of excellence without user feedback. Patches are a result of that enormous interaction that MS has with ALL levels of user. Consider the contribution the W10 Preview Testers made - 5 million volunteers using their own systems and their own time to convey to MS their findings and recommendations. Has MS reciprocated this generosity of spirit in kind?

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

MS is behaving in the most arrogant way ever. So much noise on the net and they are super silent. They don't care.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can see or view all this from either side, I can see it both ways really. However, when your personal computer or pc is suddenly opened up such that your personal and private financial spreadsheets and other private documents are now basically public (on MS's servers and who knows what or which other 3rd parties servers etc), then that's crossing the line. I for one, don't want to feel like my own private computer is open for anyone to see and view what's on it. But that's pretty much what you have to accept if you decide to just lie down and take what MS is shoveling out to people.

It's also clear from the past 2 years that MS doesn't give a rat's a** about what the home user wants or likes. That's an almost total disregard for the user. And that spells disaster for any product. Sure, they added a cute little start menu to 10, but look what else they did to your privacy and who knows what else.

What MS has done to the 7 and 8.1 users is frankly inexcusable. Pumping adware and nagware out onto aging machines is almost criminal. It shows their desperation, but it justifies nothing.

Sure, some folks do tend to get overly hysterical and paranoid about 10 and all that's going on, but the majority of users who object to what's going on have legitimate concerns based on what we've seen and have been able to gather on the internet (info wise).

It's easy to see all this from either side, and either accept it all or reject it. I have chosen to reject it. I don't like the direction any of it is taking, and I don't much care for MS's business practices of late.

22. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Microsoft hasn't been the model software maker have they. What should I do, throw great bloody fits and say I am going to take my computer and go home. No I will wait to see what Microsoft will do about the mess it has made of Windows 10

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It won't do anything about 10. MS is hiding right now. They're hoping all the negative press will go away, and then they'll just continue onward with their agenda.

Nobody has to throw a fit. Just choose. I am running Debian now, and it servers all my needs. I don't need Windows or MS. Easy as pie. More and more people are deciding exactly the same thing lately. Watch and learn....

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

But the negative press is not going a way it just will get worse, better to adapt to it. But in your case need is a factor.BTW I hear Debian has it's problems too.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Linux in general is by no means perfect. There are always some bugs and glitches here and there. Debian has a few. I've had good luck with it though. Mint is fine too, but I had some issues recently with it also. Mint is for sure the most popular for many years now, but Debian has been slowly rising lately, and it seems more popular at the moment than Ubuntu, it's at #2 behind Mint. Anyway, it works for me. If I don't need Windows, then I can at least run one flavor of linux or another and have everything I need. It's really not that difficult to make the switch as long as you aren't tied to Windows for any specific needs or reasons.

Regarding MS, I do think they're just going to hide and let it all blow over. If it doesn't blow over, then perhaps they'll just go with the younger Facebook crowd that isn't so concerned with privacy anyway, and make do with that market, which is probably quite large.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.